Little Miss Sunshine

Solace

Reaction score
Anyone happen to see this movie? I did this weekend and the pageant segment with the joker like smiles and the miniature "women" doing their pageant thing was a bit more than anyone who was watching with me could bear. I will say the comments that were being made just about the smiles alone were hilarious for a while, but in the end we all agreed that the children were being used and it was just sad. I guess the person who wrote the script thought so too, because he has a gentlemen who "signs" the children up say "this is my last pageant, these people are crazy".

Is "Little Miss Sunshine" at a theater or on television or DVD? (I lead a sheltered life:)).

Is "Little Miss Sunshine" at a theater or on television or DVD? (I lead a sheltered life:)).

It was on HBO. It is movie that was made this year and Alan Arkin won for best supporting actor.

"Little Miss Sunshine" was a movie out last year. It's available on DVD and Video rental. It won an Ocsar for Alan Arkin and a nomination for it's 10-year old star, Abigail Breslin. She was terrific as a homely but hopeful little girl in the world of pageants. It also stars Toni Collette (the Sixth Sense) and Steve Carrell (The Office). It's well worth seeing, and though it may not sound like it, it is often hilarious.

DVD - I've seen it.

Yeah, the pagent sections - I understand they used real pagent people. They're scary - the parents, and the children doing all these flirty, sexual moves without knowing why.

It's funny, because all the pagent people are so aghast at the act - although it's only slightly more blatant than the other children.

It should have been called "Little Miss JonBenet"...because this movie painted a picture of the whole pageant process, from the little girl to her dysfunctional family. Abigail Breslin appeared to look homely, her costumes were hideous...especially the bathing suit. Abigails talent section was dancing. I don't want to give the movie away but it became clear to me what the writer felt about child pageants.

You can rent it on DVD and it's on HBO.

ROFL !! It was hilarious ! and that dad...was he just like Patsy or what? ! win,win WIN !

I meant to add,I thought the dad was just as annoying as I would think Patsy probably was.

DVD - I've seen it.

Yeah, the pagent sections - I understand they used real pagent people. They're scary - the parents, and the children doing all these flirty, sexual moves without knowing why.

It's funny, because all the pagent people are so aghast at the act - although it's only slightly more blatant than the other children.

The little Filipino girl scared the $h*# out of me.

she looked like a little baby doll dressed up to be a 25 YO. scary anyone would do that to a child.were the kids real pageant participants too?

she looked like a little baby doll dressed up to be a 25 YO. scary anyone would do that to a child.were the kids real pageant participants too?
According to my husband, according to the extras - yes. They just called them up, they came with all their makeup, wardrobes, etc.

I loved Miss Sunshine, the end was HILARIOUS!!! LOL
The Grandfather and little girl were great in it.
yes, the "pageant" kids came out as shallow and artifical but Olive was a breath of fresh air;)
I HATE to see little girls with the spray teased "big" hair and that phoney practiced way of walking UGGG!
Not to mention all the makeup:sick:

another funny subtle thing in the movie:
MC: where is your Grandfather?
Olive: in the trunk of the car
muwahahaha do I have a weird sense of humor? I just picked up on so many funny things in the movie. Dont want to give away anymore for those who havent seen it.

I loved Miss Sunshine, the end was HILARIOUS!!! LOL
The Grandfather and little girl were great in it.
yes, the "pageant" kids came out as shallow and artifical but Olive was a breath of fresh air;)
I HATE to see little girls with the spray teased "big" hair and that phoney practiced way of walking UGGG!
Not to mention all the makeup:sick:

IA,I don't see why they couldn't at least wait till the late teen yrs to start w the makeup,adult hairstyles,costumes and all...bf that,concentrating on talent,exercise,being healthy,etc., should be the main focus,IMO,if they're going for being a pageant winner.But then I'm guessing most have Nedra's 'if you don't start them early they fall miserably behind' attitude.:(

yes,Olive was a breath of fresh air ! she was the cutest,IMO.she had personality and needed no makeup or false airs.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but now I will have to!
I agree that making these gorgeous little girls up to look like some fashion queen sleeze ball is so wrong.
I have a barely seven and a barely twelve year old. Both girls. The most gorgeous thing in the world is a little girl in her denim overalls or jeans in a little tank top, pig tails, bare feet, big eyes, and a great big smile....
I love photography, I do a lot of "capturing those moments"... and those are the moments I go for. The innocent candids. Those are the ones that I will treasure forever.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but now I will have to!
I agree that making these gorgeous little girls up to look like some fashion queen sleeze ball is so wrong.
I have a barely seven and a barely twelve year old. Both girls. The most gorgeous thing in the world is a little girl in her denim overalls or jeans in a little tank top, pig tails, bare feet, big eyes, and a great big smile....
I love photography, I do a lot of "capturing those moments"... and those are the moments I go for. The innocent candids. Those are the ones that I will treasure forever.

It is okay. Not the greatest movie. Alan Arkin is good but he always is. I brought it up mainly becuase of the pageants and how absolutely freaky they are. The Filiopino girl should be in horror films. She is that frightening. She literally does not move her face. She looks like a human doll, except you know that she is real. My face hurt looking at her. If I had been home alone at night, I would have had a problem. The girl was frightening.

Solace, if you didnt think the "surprise" ending was good I am thinking you have no sense of humour:)

I think you missed the whole point of the movie, it wasnt just about childs beauty pageants but a dysfunctional family. But has some very funny scenes in it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashley_erin
Back