Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PA- Joey Lynn Offutt, 33, State College, July 2007 - Baby's body found in burned home

I watched the show and found the ending bizzare! The seat being back and the car backed in, IMO this is the act of a man. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in my life it is usually men that back cars in and put the seat way back for leg room. Also, if she where going to disappear why would she drive the car to an apt compex she lived at prior with the bf and then take the time to back the car in? To hide the tag? that doesnt make sense.

Also, the fact that they both lived there together prior, IMO it was one of the 2 that placed the car there. A stranger abduction?No. The odds would be astronomical that the car would be placed in that parking lot.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sleuthster For This Useful Post:

Was there any referrence to the last name Holt on Disappeared? It's showing up on intellus and other search engines that she goes by that name.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sleuthster For This Useful Post:

i dont remember but i dvrd it because in the middle of the show my sister came over and wanted to watch the voice .i ended up watching the rest later last night with all the lights out and gave me the creeps. i can go back and check about that name. i find it odd that the car was placed there did the person or persons who did this to her know that she lived their prior.

it also mentions someplace that the ex bf never had legal consul and that anything that the local pd asked him to do he did without the presence of a lawyer. according the show and the local pd they said he did really well on the polygraph test and he passed but later in the show it mentioned that le came back to him and said he failed the test. now i know there are some cases where the tests were rigged by le to say they failed it but didn't kinda like the cases were le feeds them info and gets them to confess to a crime they never committed.

if he really failed the test in the first place i am sure the show would have known about it. also what was his alibi for the time the house went up in flames.? and was the letters she wrote more specifically the note that was found near the car seat in her own hand writing was that verified by family members to be hers.

also someplace on the web i read that she was posting on a single moms forum or some kind of forum and she mentioned that he was a former felon. if he was really a felon wouldn't the show have mentioned it i know the episode before hers was shown they mentioned one of the suspects as being a felon or something of that nature.

if any of the family is reading this or still posting was her on and off again bf a former convicted felon did he have a past with any le that you know of?. how did he and joey meet?. was it from friends, online? at a bar? a blind date kind of hook up? does he have custody of his oldest child. does he keep in contact with anyone in your family still?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smile22 For This Useful Post:

On the show, they mentioned a neighbor who saw Joey on July 5th, walking with a baby stroller...she did not acknowledge his greeting, which he said was odd, and he did not see a baby in the stroller, which if true is even more odd.

I'm not sure what to make of the car parking, except that it had to be, IMO, either Joey or Alexis, the BF. I know the family said she could not have parked that way, but we really don't always know what people will or can do, IMO. And I always put my seat back to get out, or if I am going to sit in the car for a few minutes, which if she was driving, she may have done, while she decided where to go, for example.

I just can't imagine a motive for Alexis to harm the baby, or Joey for that matter...there was not any talk of abuse, just arguments and disagreements. Joey's mom said that Joey was developmentally a teenager and talked to anyone, anytime, which is why it seems so strange that she did not say hello to her neighbor. Something must have been going on with her at that time, I believe, mentally.

Still, I can't even begin to guess where she is, or what happened to her, or why the baby was killed...
    Just my opinion, of course.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

do you think she was having some postpartum depression that no one knew about?. and something was going in her head to harm the baby?. the gas can that was found at the house after the fire was it dusted for finger prints? was the house thoroughly checked to make sure no other bodies were in the house hidden under debris.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smile22 For This Useful Post:

I think that the trash talking of the Brolin dude is pretty awful. I can understand it in the case of Baby Lisa but the Investigation Discovery show made it very clear that he made several attempts to reach her and was very forthcoming. Of course it's possible he's a damn good liar, but immediately attacking him for finding someone new and marrying her is not appropriate. Now, if someone has proof that he was romantically with her while with Joey, then feel free to post. Also, the show made it very clear he loved the kids.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to UMfanforever For This Useful Post:

Did Joey's b.f or the father of her children, marry someone else?

They re ran this show on Disappeared tonight where i live and I saw it before too.

So sad for the family. Especially her two little girls to not know if their mom is dead or alive somewhere.

There are multitudes of places to hide a body in Pa. mostly wooded there.
    "The Greek word moira (μοῖρα) literally means a part or portion, and by extension one's portion in life or destiny.
    They controlled the metaphorical thread of life of every mortal from birth to death."

Wikipedia

Was the whole carseat out of the car or just the "baby basket" part? If the base was out, I find that very odd. Even if you take out the base to clean the car, wouldn't you just put it next to the car, clean that spot then pop it back in? Or was it the 2 year old's carseat?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to necco For This Useful Post:

I found it odd that Alexis, the boyfriend, was interviewed standing up on what looked like a porch. Not that it means anything, but I have watched every episode of "Disappeared" and never saw that before. I remember a few segments with people outside, but never standing and focused so close to his face.

maybe they had reasons to interview him outside. i know he remarried what if someone was sick in his house with a really bad cold or something that was highly contagious. they had a segment on amw last night on life time about her and the showed her ex bf he was talking and as he was talking he got really emotional and was crying. i still don't know what the deal was with the car. who other than her ex and her family knew about the old apt building?.

her family said she cannot back a car at all perfect and the seat was pulled back. could she have maybe tried to back it up a few times before hitting it right on the nail then moved the seat back to make it look like someone else did it?. Also did they bring in scent dogs to trace her scent maybe from the car to see where they would have gone.

i know the ex took a poly and he passed but then later le came back and said he failed. i know sometimes le will say u failed just to get you in interrogate you and put words into your mouth to make it look like you did it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to smile22 For This Useful Post:

I watched the show a few weeks back and it certainly got me thinking. What a strange case!

We all know that there are crazy perps out there who steal into people's homes and assault and murder them. However, what are the chances that a serial rapist/killer would set fire to a house after abducting someone living there? Furthermore, why would they then add an infant homicide AND arson to their rap sheet? Unless they did not know that there was a baby in the house? Even then, it makes no sense to set a fire to the house.

I must admit that I did find it odd that the husband remarried after only two years, but it seems like he and Joey didn't have the happiest of relationships, so maybe moving on was quicker because of this? Also, statistically, men often seem to remarry much more quickly than women do, even when their wife dies of cancer or a heart attack.

However, I don't think the fiancee did it. He seemed pretty broken to me.

Joey's mother said that a psychologist diagnosed her as having the mind of a 14 year old. A psychologist does not say something like that off the cuff. A psychologist would only make a statement like that after extensive testing. So if Joey was developmentally delayed, this will have made her more vulnerable. A large part of me also wonders if Joey developed post partum psychosis and set the fire, went to the old apartment, got lost somewhere in the surrounding area (due to the postpartum psychosis) and perished. It would also explain why Joey seemed so out of it when she was last seen. On the other hand, if she perished somewhere, surely some evidence would be found. I know the family mentioned the parking, but if a person is in a distraught and mentally unstable place, who knows how their behaviours and patterns will change?
    Last edited by Galbin; 05-07-2012 at 07:37 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galbin For This Useful Post:

Joey has been missing for 5 years this month. What happened to her? Where is she?

Here a , there a , everywhere a

22. The Following User Says Thank You to neverletgo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by neverletgo View Post

Joey has been missing for 5 years this month. What happened to her? Where is she?

What do you think about my theories above? I've been dying to talk to someone about this case, but it seems that not many people seem to know about it.

What do you think happened?

ok the fact that in the discovery id show the neighbor seen her a few days before with the stroller but no baby in it kinda strange huh. is it possible she did something to the baby before the walk and was distraught and went for a walk not expecting to see her neighbor and hoping that he did not notice the empty stroller? and then she herself set the house on fire?.

the car theory what if she really did back the car into the space and did it a few times to get it right. i am a horrible Parker and have a hard time parking into spaces where i have to back out. could she have parked the car then gone and pushed the seat back to fool everyone into thinking someone else put the car there? could she have run off intending to hide out?.

how much money cash did she have in the bank and on her?
    could she have gotten help from the underground to make a new life? even with all the problems she was having?

they said the bf passed a lie detector test but later in the show it said he had in fact failed? i am confused did they say that to test him again to trick him. did he really pass and they were looking to pin it on someone.

i think hes innocent just my gut feeling,

did they thoroughly check out the burnt house for anymore bodys could her body have been in the house someplace hidden and le or fire officials never found it?

Quote Originally Posted by Galbin View Post
    Joey's mother said that a psychologist diagnosed her as having the mind of a 14 year old. A psychologist does not say something like that off the cuff. A psychologist would only make a statement like that after extensive testing. So if Joey was developmentally delayed, this will have made her more vulnerable. A large part of me also wonders if Joey developed post partum psychosis and set the fire, went to the old apartment, got lost somewhere in the surrounding area (due to the postpartum psychosis) and perished. It would also explain why Joey seemed so out of it when she was last seen. On the other hand, if she perished somewhere, surely some evidence would be found. I know the family mentioned the parking, but if a person is in a distraught and mentally unstable place, who knows how their behaviours and patterns will change?
    (Respectfully snipped by me)

Hi, Galbin!

I go back and forth between that theory and the theory that someone else was responsible for her disappearance and the fire; however, you brought up some interesting points here too, in my opinion:

Quote Originally Posted by Galbin View Post
    We all know that there are crazy perps out there who steal into people's homes and assault and murder them. However, what are the chances that a serial rapist/killer would set fire to a house after abducting someone living there? Furthermore, why would they then add an infant homicide AND arson to their rap sheet? Unless they did not know that there was a baby in the house? Even then, it makes no sense to set a fire to the house.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to neverletgo For This Useful Post:

Smile22

I think she may have had postpartum psychosis and hurt the baby and then set the fire; OR set the fire forgetting about the baby (women with PPP really do lose their minds). I just don't think that some perp would have come in, killed her AND the baby, set fire to the house and then driven her car to her old apartment. How would a random perp even know about her old apartment?

There is also the possibility that the baby died of SIDS and Joey-Lynn went into a panicked grief state, thinking she'd be blamed. Hence she ran off. We do need to remember that she was developmentally delayed after all, so her thinking may not have been very logical.

Does anyone know if she had money in her account and if it was taken out? Are there any sleuthing journalists or PIs on this case?

I don't think she got underground help for a new identity, for the very simple reason that such things are complicated, and, according to the psychologist, she 'had the mind of a 14 year old'. Also, I don't think she had any reason to want to disappear, not really.

I feel the boyfriend is innocent too. I really, really do.

I also think that fire officials would not miss a body. No way.

Quote Originally Posted by neverletgo View Post
    (Respectfully snipped by me)

Hi, Galbin!

I go back and forth between that theory and the theory that someone else was responsible for her disappearance and the fire; however, you brought up some interesting points here too, in my opinion:
    Neverletgo

How do you think someone else could make her disappear? Do you think her bf could be responsible? Or a random perp? How do you explain the fire and the baby then?

What are your thoughts on the postpartum psychosis theory?

And for anyone who would like to learn more about Postpartum Psychosis, this article explains it very clearly:

http://postpartumprogress.com/sympto...n-mama-english

In particular:

You keep hearing and/or seeing things that no one else does or that you know are not there. You may have what seem like voices in your head that won't stop no matter what you do. The voices comment about your actions or tell you appalling things, even that you may need to hurt someone or do something you would never do otherwise. Perhaps you feel the radio, television, nature or God is speaking directly to you and you alone or giving you secret messages.

You are getting into conflict with those around you. Although there may be real issues between you and others, the fact is that you are getting into way more conflicts with others than you ever used to.

You may feel as if you are being controlled by some outside force. This force may be telling you to harm someone. Or you may have strange violent urges that have nothing to do with choice. These urges can best be understood if you think of how it feels when you experience the urge to urinate. One has little control over whether one wants to urinate or not, it is just a powerful urge one is compelled to tend to. These strange violent thoughts may present themselves as possible solutions to a myriad of problems.

You are afraid you will never get better. You may even believe that the only way to get out of this or to protect the ones you love is to commit suicide or abandon your family.

for Joey.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neverletgo For This Useful Post:

Poor Joey. Is there any progress at all on this case?

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galbin For This Useful Post:

Bumping for Joey.

Netflix have just added the Disappeared ep about her. It's one of the stranger cases I have seen on there but I think the day she walked by the neighbour with the stroller , the baby was already dead. Maybe she was just going through the motions? Until she came round to the fact she had to do something about it?

What strikes me most is that the car comes and goes from the house but according to the ex and the nurse nothing you could see via window had moved.

Either the ex is innocent or he is an Oscar winning actor, got no vibe other than confusion, I wonder if he is in anyway developmentally challenged also?

Looks like there is no new leads in the case.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hayaletcatcher For This Useful Post:

Could it be that she had postpartum, harmed the baby and someone else found out about it and harmed her? Someone who loved that baby. And then set the house on fire and drove her somewhere then drove the car to the apartment complex? It is just one scenario that was playing in my mind. So many strange disappeared cases out there. Really throws me.
    Seeking Justice for those who can't. Wanting justice for precious Jhessye!

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wantjustice For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuthster View Post
    I watched the show and found the ending bizzare! The seat being back and the car backed in, IMO this is the act of a man. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in my life it is usually men that back cars in and put the seat way back for leg room.
    My wife is short, and sometimes she pushes the seat back to make it easier to get out. I think it's because she pushes the seat so far forward that the steering wheel gets in the way of getting out.

My wife is 5'0", around the Joey's height. I am 5'6", and sometimes she leaves it farther back than I do b/c she pulled it back to get out.

Joey's Disappeared episode is airing now again in Australia. The one thing that I find telling is the neighbour who saw Joey with a pram/pushchair before she disappeared. Apparently there was no baby in it. Could this indicate that the baby died and Joey suffered a psychotic break/break from reality?

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdinburghLass For This Useful Post:

Bumping for Joey.

Discovery ID showed her Disappeared episode today. So sad .

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Balor51 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast