1128 users online (229 members and 899 guests)  

Websleuths News

Cold-Case decks of playing cards distributed to prisons for hope in solving crimes

TALLAHASSEE -- In a macabre game of cold-case poker, top state law enforcement officials announced Tuesday they would try to crack old cases by giving prison inmates 100,000 playing cards of unsolved Florida murders and missing persons.

State officials hope the starved-for-entertainment inmates at 129 state prisons will not just play, they'll start talking to each other. And pretty soon, someone will tip off investigators.

http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/180690.html
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

That's a lot of money I hope it works. Interesting ideal!

Strange way to try to get tips. I hope it works!

http://www.timescolonist.com/oklahom...rds-1.23061849
    Oct 11 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY — Oklahoma authorities are hoping to solve unsolved killings and other cold cases by selling decks of playing cards that feature the cases to prisoners
    Bureau of Investigation Director Stan Florence says similar programs in Florida, Colorado, Connecticut and South Carolina have garnered information that helped solve about 40 homicides.

The cards are being sold at six of the state's approximately two dozen prisons at $1.42 per pack and will eventually be the only playing cards available at the other facilities.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Packs of ‘cold case playing cards’ are distributed in Australian prisons too:

Lynette White murder: Could handing out playing cards in prisons be the key to solving cold case?
    Australian Broadcasting Corporation
    AUSTRALIAN STORY BY HEIDI PETT AND REBECCA LATHAM
    MON 5 JUN 2017, 5:04 AM AEST

‘The concept was introduced successfully in South Australia in 2015, as well as several jurisdictions in the United States, where the cards have had a role in solving dozens of murders.’

Read more at:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-0...d-case/8570512

Cold murder cases initiative: SA prisoners encouraged to come forward with information
    ABC News
    UPDATED THU 17 SEP 2015, 3:24 PM AEST

‘Offenders who come forward with valuable information about unsolved murders may be rewarded with reduced sentences through a new initiative launched by South Australia Police.

In exchange for information that leads to cases being solved, offenders may be offered incentives including a reduction in their sentence, witness protection, financial assistance and substantial rewards.

Prisoners will be given packs of playing cards which detail the unsolved murders plus a letter asking for their help.’

Read more at:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-17/prisoners-offered-reduced-sentence-rewards-cold-case-information/6783158
    Posts are my opinion/speculation with the exception of relevant source material

The information contained herein is not to be reproduced or reprinted outside of Websleuths.com without my written permission