Pot may hike risk of psychosis, research finds

csds703

Former Member
Reaction score
Even limited use could up chance of serious mental illness by 40 percent

sourceAP.gif
Updated: 1 hour, 26 minutes ago

LONDON - Using marijuana seems to increase the chance of becoming psychotic, researchers report in an analysis of past research that reignites the issue of whether pot is dangerous.
The new review suggests that even infrequent use could raise the small but real risk of this serious mental illness by 40 percent.
Doctors have long suspected a connection and say the latest findings underline the need to highlight marijuana’s long-term risks. The research, paid for by the British Health Department, is being published Friday in the medical journal The Lancet.

“The available evidence now suggests that cannabis is not as harmless as many people think,” said Dr. Stanley Zammit, one of the study’s authors and a lecturer in the department of psychological medicine at Cardiff University.
The researchers said they couldn’t prove that marijuana use itself increases the risk of psychosis, a category of several disorders with schizophrenia being the most commonly known.
There could be something else about marijuana users, “like their tendency to use other drugs or certain personality traits, that could be causing the psychoses,” Zammit said.
Thousands tracked
Marijuana is the most frequently used illegal substance in many countries, including the United Kingdom and the United States. About 20 percent of young adults report using it at least once a week, according to government statistics.
Zammit and colleagues from the University of Bristol, Imperial College and Cambridge University examined 35 studies that tracked tens of thousands of people for periods ranging from one year to 27 years to examine the effect of marijuana on mental health.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19980923/

I actually know two people who were diagnosed with drug induced schizophrenia. Both of those people never did any other drugs besides smoking pot.

Does the risk go away if you stop or are people doomed if they've ever used?

Eve

I know lots of pot heads and they aren't psychotic at all. They are however,very prone to depression. I wonder if people who are psychotic to begin with are trying to self medicate and thus the study's results? Kinda like which came 1st,the chicken or the egg.

I know lots of pot heads and they aren't psychotic at all. They are however,very prone to depression. I wonder if people who are psychotic to begin with are trying to self medicate and thus the study's results? Kinda like which came 1st,the chicken or the egg.

I wonder about that as well.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
You know what's funny.. is I added the link to the movie and I watched just the opening credit narrative. Watch it!
Except saying it is a violent narcotic, it does say it will lead to insanity and psychosis.Maybe this study is on to something.

What if you didn't inhale?
heehee

I have never been into pot, makes me hungry and stupid. The 2 things I hate to be.
But I know a lot of people that still use pot to this day and there area lot of very successful people.

heehee

I have never been into pot, makes me hungry and stupid. The 2 things I hate to be.
But I know a lot of people that still use pot to this day and there area lot of very successful people.

I'm in the same boat as you JBean. Pot makes me hungry,stupid and tired. I hate feeling that way.(otherwise I'm sure I would indulge),but I know lots of people who smoke everyday. Not any different from having an after work cocktail.(I think people would be shocked at how many people smoke dope and who they are)

heehee

LOL - maybe I am just in deep denial, but I think pot should be legal and that alcohol is WAY more dangerous than pot.

It's gonna take a lot more than this study to make me scared of pot....but that's just my bad attitude about the subject.

I'm in the same boat as you JBean. Pot makes me hungry,stupid and tired. I hate feeling that way.(otherwise I'm sure I would indulge),but I know lots of people who smoke everyday. Not any different from having an after work cocktail.(I think people would be shocked at how many people smoke dope and who they are)
I was just about to qualify my statement to say this.
It is used much like a glass of wine in the evening.

heehee

I agree- I dont like it anymore cause started making me feel paranoid- but damn my house sure use to be alot cleaner than it is now :D

eta- I would start one thing...then another...then another.... then it was all done--!

LOL - maybe I am just in deep denial, but I think pot should be legal and that alcohol is WAY more dangerous than pot.

It's gonna take a lot more than this study to make me scared of pot....but that's just my bad attitude about the subject.
you better watch Reefer Madness then....that'll change your mind for sure!

I have never seen that movie before! I'm going to watch it tonight. But I'm not looking!

Does the risk go away if you stop or are people doomed if they've ever used?

Eve
Sorry eve, I don't know how to break this to you, but you are doomed if you have ever used......................even if you didn't inhale.

LOL Just kidding, of course.

Then again, if you do, and you stop, it could bring on the onset of WRAP, WRAP is wild rampamt aberrative psychosis, a very dangerous condition.

I have never seen that movie before! I'm going to watch it tonight. But I'm not looking!
Well it was a propaganda film for parents about the dangers of marijuana smoking. It was a popular movie when I was a teen to go watch at the theater as a comedy. Just watch the first 2 minutes or so and you will get the idea.

>>Propaganda film that relates the story, as told by high school principal Dr. Carroll to parents at a PTA meeting, of the scourge of marijuana. The tale revolves around Mae and Jack, accomplices in the distribution of marijuana, who manage to entice the local high school kids to stop by Mae's apartment to smoke reefer. The lives of all who are involved with this menace are inevitably shattered. One man becomes so addicted to the killer weed that the guilt over framing a teen for murder causes a judge to order him to be committed for life to a mental hospital! Dr. Carroll closes by advising us to not incur the same tragedy.<<

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back