1131 users online (238 members and 893 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Missouri Man Denied Adoption Because Of His Weight

A Missouri man claims he's being discriminated against due to his weight, according to MyFoxKC.com.
    Gary Stocklaufer said he and his wife, Cynthia, were asked to adopt Gary's cousin's 3-month-old son because the relative couldn't care for the boy anymore. But a judge — the same judge who approved Gary's adoption of his now 7-year-old son — denied the adoption on the grounds of Gary's weight, Stocklaufer said.
    Stocklaufer said he weighs roughly 500 pounds — though he's lost 35 and is working to lose more — and that his weight hasn't stopped him from working as a truck driver or playing with his son.
    The couple said their attorney has filed a motion for a new hearing.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290849,00.html

This sounds very prejudicial to me. I agree this man is severly over-weight and it is certain to cause health issues eventually if he maintains that weight, BUT he did say he's lost weight and is continuing to do so. If his weight is not interfering with everyday tasks, like working and playing with his son, then why would anyone think he would be unable to care for a baby?

I don't agree WR--500 pounds is morbidly obese--Let him get a gastric bypass operation,then lose 200 pounds--Anybody that weighs 500 pounds is a walking timebomb and he could drop dead anytime--Then the adopted kid is instantly fatherless--Its not fair to the adopted child

This is realllllly ridiculous. The man is family, the baby needs parents, and the man has a wife who also can take care of this baby and be it's mom. If they aren't allowed to adopt, they could still be raising the child anyway, and if he does die due to his weight or even in some accident while out on the road, the wife won't even be able to collect social security benefits for the child.

Lame. A good obese parent is better than a bad thin parent any hour of the day.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    I totally agree, southcitymom.

The problem is,this guy is a failure in life--He is hardly a good role model and that recent study shows the more fat people in the house,the higher chance everybody will gain weight--At 500 pounds, to put it indelicately, this guy can't even wipe himself after a bowel movement--The Judge did the right thing

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hamilton View Post
    The problem is,this guy is a failure in life--He is hardly a good role model and that recent study shows the more fat people in the house,the higher chance everybody will gain weight--At 500 pounds, to put it indelicately, this guy can't even wipe himself after a bowel movement--The Judge did the right thing
    A loser in life because he's obese? Hardly. This guy has a wife, a job, a son he plays with. Doesn't sound like a loser to me...."Fat" is the new thing to openly discrimnate again - and it's total BS.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Wow...
    Since when does how much someone weighs determine whether or not they are a good role model?
    Children are given to abusive parents all the time, but this guy can't adopt because he's obese? If that's the case, why not take his other child away from him. Call DCFS, this guy eats too many oreos!
    Give me a break. If he's working to lose the weight, give the guy a chance. There are plenty of obese parents and judges don't get involved.
    We're all timebombs. Should a parent who has cancer have their children taken away? Our vehicles are timebombs, any one of us can die any day, people die everyday. It doesn't take away from the ability to be a loving parent.

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    Let's see. The little boy has been in his care for seven years already and now the judge won't allow the adoption because he is obese. Yeah, let's put the little guy into the system and see how fast he is adopted out to a stranger.

I find blatant rudeness and ignorance much more offensive than obesity.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one. This one is mine.

The problem is,this guy is a failure in life-
    Stop right there man. Not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by tennessee View Post
    Let's see. The little boy has been in his care for seven years already and now the judge won't allow the adoption because he is obese. Yeah, let's put the little guy into the system and see how fast he is adopted out to a stranger.

I find blatant rudeness and ignorance much more offensive than obesity.
    It was my understanding that he has ANOTHER adopted child, the 7 year old, and is now trying to adopt a 3 month old.
    Sounds like this man's heart is even bigger than his appetite, and that's what's most important.

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    Ah, you are right. I misread. Still I stand by what I said about rudeness and ignorance.

Sounds like this man's heart is even bigger than his appetite, and that's what's most important.
    ITA!!!!!
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one. This one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Lame. A good obese parent is better than a bad thin parent any hour of the day.

A loser in life because he's obese? Hardly. This guy has a wife, a job, a son he plays with. Doesn't sound like a loser to me...."Fat" is the new thing to openly discrimnate again - and it's total BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dena View Post
    Wow...
    Since when does how much someone weighs determine whether or not they are a good role model?
    Children are given to abusive parents all the time, but this guy can't adopt because he's obese? If that's the case, why not take his other child away from him. Call DCFS, this guy eats too many oreos!
    Give me a break. If he's working to lose the weight, give the guy a chance. There are plenty of obese parents and judges don't get involved.
    We're all timebombs. Should a parent who has cancer have their children taken away? Our vehicles are timebombs, any one of us can die any day, people die everyday. It doesn't take away from the ability to be a loving parent.

If I were the judge, I would throw in my thoughts on the man's weight and say that I'd wish he would loose weight due to the increased possibility of dying to young and leaving both kids fatherless, but I'd go ahead and grant the adoption. After all, should we take all the kids away from thier morbidly obese parents in the fear they will one day loose said parent?

You said a mouthful

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast