Reaction score
Website
Visit site
This is great!

http://www.macroworldinvestor.com/m/m.w?lp=GetStory&id=263917941

snip

PropertyMaps.com Adds Sex Offender Registries to Real Estate Search

Released : Monday, July 30, 2007 7:55 AM

SARASOTA, Fla., July 30 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In dedication to the memory of Jessica Lunsford, a young Floridian who fell victim to a sexual predator that lived nearby, PropertyMaps.com announces it has added the locations of registered sex offenders to its map-based real estate search. A sex offender is the generic term for all persons convicted of crimes involving sex, including rape, molestation, sexual harassment and *advertiser censored* production or distribution. This dataset contains over 300,000 convicted offenders gathered directly from the official registries maintained by state governments. Not all criminal offenses require registration.
The intent of this initiative is to promote public safety and awareness by alerting possible victims of potential danger, not to punish or embarrass offenders. "Our REALTORS(R) are in the business every day, and we know that there is nothing more important to prospective home owners than protecting their families. Awareness is a critical first line of defense. We believe that consumers should have access to as much information as possible that is relevant to their home search. Sexual offender registries are in the public domain, and PropertyMaps.com wants to make this information conveniently available to all of our home searchers," states the company CEO, Keith Hanenian.

Yeah, it's great. Unless you are the unfortunate homeowner whose house drops in value just because you live down the street from someone who got drunk and took a leak behind a bush one night.

With all the registries this that and other stuff set up to alert people where the sex offenders are at, maybe it would be time to get this thing overhauled. People peeing behind a bush shouldn't be on it, and the people who deserve to be on it should just be kept locked up. Much easier for everyone, not to mention safer.

Yeah, it's great. Unless you are the unfortunate homeowner whose house drops in value just because you live down the street from someone who got drunk and took a leak behind a bush one night.
I agree with Nova. In light of the two 13 year old boys in Oregon involved in "butt slapping", who face lifelong charges as "registered sex offenders", and other such innocent childhood pranks many of us played on each other in the "good ole innocent days", I think the time has come to seriously search out these lists and who is included.

I do know that there are 4 sex offenders listed in the small town of Burlington, CO. One lives just next door to a 12 year old girl we sponsor and support for her 4H horse project. Through WebSleuths, I learned of the site and list. When I realized he lived next door to her, I called her mother who works for the county commissioners. She has better access to the sherrif's office and got the "skinny" on the neighbor. He deserves to be on the list, but it appears he prefers little boys. In fact, he can't see his own children unsupervised. She also told me the other three were also serious offenders who have served time, as has the next door neighbor. In these cases, those included could pose a threat. I know that most incidents with children are handled between the cops and parents, and not dragged into court unless it's a real problem. Yes, children have been taken from parents, even here. Our local paper has two columns each week: "On the Beat", with no names mentioned and "Crime and Punishment" with more information, including names of adults. So, you know that your neighbor put out a restraining order against her kids and had them jailed when they stepped foot on her property next door, LOL.

So, with all this political correctness today, we need to stop this all inclusive nonsense, and get down to protecting ourselves and children with those who are truly a potential threat. We also need to demand longer jail time for those who harm children and are repeat offenders.

I agree with Nova....

So, with all this political correctness today, we need to stop this all inclusive nonsense, and get down to protecting ourselves and children with those who are truly a potential threat. We also need to demand longer jail time for those who harm children and are repeat offenders.

When BarnGoddess and I agree (and have JanetElaine on our side to boot), then EVERYBODY should know we're right! :)

I have no problem with locking up real child molesters for a longer time. But if we're going to use the sexual offender list as our new "Scarlet Letter," then we need to stop being so puritanical about whom we list.

And even if and when we reduce the list to those who are actual dangers to children, parents need to remember that most children are molested by a family member or close family friend, not the pervert down the street.

When BarnGoddess and I agree (and have JanetElaine on our side to boot), then EVERYBODY should know we're right! :)

I have no problem with locking up real child molesters for a longer time. But if we're going to use the sexual offender list as our new "Scarlet Letter," then we need to stop being so puritanical about whom we list.

And even if and when we reduce the list to those who are actual dangers to children, parents need to remember that most children are molested by a family member or close family friend, not the pervert down the street.
See, I can be agreeable, Nova. And you are absolutely correct that most children fall victim to those close them and are trusted. What's worse is when they do tell, they are often not belileved. Most tragic.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back