1163 users online (237 members and 926 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MD - Stephanie Gant-Brady, 39, Baltimore, 8 April 1984

I have been reading about this case and did a search here to find that Stephanie does not have a thread here on websleuths.

Here are the details:
    Gant-Brady was last seen in Baltimore, Maryland on April 8, 1984. She resided in the 4600 block of Horizon Circle in the Woodlawn area at the time. After her disappearance, Gant-Brady's male companion stated she had traveled to London, England to write a book. However, Gant-Brady never obtained a passport, did not pick up her last paycheck, and left all of her personal belongings, including her cane and wheelchair, behind when she vanished.
    Gant-Brady has one son. She got a bachelor's degree in sociology from Morgan State University and was attempting a master's degree from the University of Baltimore in 1984. She was the first African-American woman to reach the rank of lieutenant in the Maryland National Guard. She was also a member of the Governor's Committee for the Handicapped. Gant-Brady was employed as a substitute middle and elementary school teacher at the time of her disappearance. Her case remains unsolvd.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...stephanie.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1132dfmd.html

There is a message from her family here:
    http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/co...ile_sgantbrady

Last edited by OkieGranny; 05-01-2015 at 02:48 PM. Reason: fixed broken link

Do we know who the "companion" who stated she travelled overseas is? Is there a reason to suspect the companion?
    the letter from her son is both heartbreaking and uplifting. She must have been a special lady to raise a son like him.

I think since Stephanie did not get around without her wheelchair or walker it was impossible to her to travel to Europe like the companion indicated, making the statement he gave suspicious IMO

I wonder if she'd be alive now, even if she wasn't killed when she disappeared twenty-three years ago. Multiple sclerosis is often fatal -- I know a guy whose wife just died from it and she was only in her forties I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily View Post
    I wonder if she'd be alive now, even if she wasn't killed when she disappeared twenty-three years ago. Multiple sclerosis is often fatal -- I know a guy whose wife just died from it and she was only in her forties I believe.
    You seem pretty sure she was killed. I'll admit it doesn't look good. They included a name she might go by "Penny" so I gave it some hope that maybe she was out there somewhere after going missing.
    My first reaction to that companion's statements was they didn't sound like they were true given the situation. Very sad case, she deserves a proper burial.

Why is there no other information on this case...??? Where was she last seen, time of day, where was she going, who was she with, who is the guy? Male companion.. friend? co-worker? boyfriend? acquaintance? what..? And more importantly,, WAS HE EVER CHECKED OUT BY POLICE,, or not?? Then again, this is Baltimore.. they probably bungled the whole thing up...

A lot of times that sort of information isn't released to the public, period. And I've found no articles or anything on Stephanie's case -- sadly, this is typical.

But it's strange how in some cases,, every minute detail of all factors surrounding the case seem to be publicly revealed, discussed, analyzed.. and in others,, nothing. The write-ups on Stephanie don't even give us an idea of whether the guy was investigated at all... or any other info.

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily View Post
    MS runs in my family. It can actually go into remission and you can lead a pretty normal life. At one point I had a family member who was almost totally incapacitated but she's now in remission and you would never know there was anything wrong with her. She's almost 70 and was diagnosed in her 20's.

I think it depends on the MS and also the person themselves. My neighbor died a horrible death from MS and she was in her mid 30s. And yet my aunt has been living with MS for over 10 years now and is in her late 50s and kicking. My guess, however, based upon her inability to walk without a wheelchair or walker, is that even if she weren't murdered she would not likely be alive.

Hey, got an update on this one. They have a possibility that I turned in that is in DNA right now. This was my first case that was at least really close. Detective thomas Fortuna, of the New York State Police, has the Doe case that I matched her too. Good guy and he is bending over backwards to keep me in the loop as things progress. The male companion has been described as a boyfriend when we talked on the phone. Fortuna thinks he's full of it too.
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/9ufny.html This is the link to the one that she is being tested against right now. Ill keep everyone updated.

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    Hey, got an update on this one. They have a possibility that I turned in that is in DNA right now. This was my first case that was at least really close. Detective thomas Fortuna, of the New York State Police, has the Doe case that I matched her too. Good guy and he is bending over backwards to keep me in the loop as things progress. The male companion has been described as a boyfriend when we talked on the phone. Fortuna thinks he's full of it too.
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/9ufny.html This is the link to the one that she is being tested against right now. Ill keep everyone updated.
    Good work !! I'm anxious to hear news on this one.

Stephanie's sons DNA and Ellenville NY's Jane Doe are in testing. Fair warning, the lab is horribly backed up so it could be as long as a year before we know anything. I'll post as soon as I hear anything.

Thanks for the update.

For the record, I am still waiting. Just wanted everyone who checks Stephanie's thread to know that I haven't forgotten her or you guys. Just impatiently playing the waiting game.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast