MD MD - Stephanie Gant-Brady, 39, Baltimore, 8 April 1984

HollywoodBound

Reaction score
I have been reading about this case and did a search here to find that Stephanie does not have a thread here on websleuths.

Here are the details:
Gant-Brady was last seen in Baltimore, Maryland on April 8, 1984. She resided in the 4600 block of Horizon Circle in the Woodlawn area at the time. After her disappearance, Gant-Brady's male companion stated she had traveled to London, England to write a book. However, Gant-Brady never obtained a passport, did not pick up her last paycheck, and left all of her personal belongings, including her cane and wheelchair, behind when she vanished.
Gant-Brady has one son. She got a bachelor's degree in sociology from Morgan State University and was attempting a master's degree from the University of Baltimore in 1984. She was the first African-American woman to reach the rank of lieutenant in the Maryland National Guard. She was also a member of the Governor's Committee for the Handicapped. Gant-Brady was employed as a substitute middle and elementary school teacher at the time of her disappearance. Her case remains unsolvd.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gant-brady_stephanie.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1132dfmd.html

There is a message from her family here:
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/content.php?webid=profile_sgantbrady

Do we know who the "companion" who stated she travelled overseas is? Is there a reason to suspect the companion?
the letter from her son is both heartbreaking and uplifting. She must have been a special lady to raise a son like him.

I think since Stephanie did not get around without her wheelchair or walker it was impossible to her to travel to Europe like the companion indicated, making the statement he gave suspicious IMO

I wonder if she'd be alive now, even if she wasn't killed when she disappeared twenty-three years ago. Multiple sclerosis is often fatal -- I know a guy whose wife just died from it and she was only in her forties I believe.

I wonder if she'd be alive now, even if she wasn't killed when she disappeared twenty-three years ago. Multiple sclerosis is often fatal -- I know a guy whose wife just died from it and she was only in her forties I believe.

You seem pretty sure she was killed. I'll admit it doesn't look good. They included a name she might go by "Penny" so I gave it some hope that maybe she was out there somewhere after going missing.
My first reaction to that companion's statements was they didn't sound like they were true given the situation. Very sad case, she deserves a proper burial.

Why is there no other information on this case...??? Where was she last seen, time of day, where was she going, who was she with, who is the guy? Male companion.. friend? co-worker? boyfriend? acquaintance? what..? And more importantly,, WAS HE EVER CHECKED OUT BY POLICE,, or not?? Then again, this is Baltimore.. they probably bungled the whole thing up...

A lot of times that sort of information isn't released to the public, period. And I've found no articles or anything on Stephanie's case -- sadly, this is typical.

But it's strange how in some cases,, every minute detail of all factors surrounding the case seem to be publicly revealed, discussed, analyzed.. and in others,, nothing. The write-ups on Stephanie don't even give us an idea of whether the guy was investigated at all... or any other info.

MS runs in my family. It can actually go into remission and you can lead a pretty normal life. At one point I had a family member who was almost totally incapacitated but she's now in remission and you would never know there was anything wrong with her. She's almost 70 and was diagnosed in her 20's.

I think it depends on the MS and also the person themselves. My neighbor died a horrible death from MS and she was in her mid 30s. And yet my aunt has been living with MS for over 10 years now and is in her late 50s and kicking. My guess, however, based upon her inability to walk without a wheelchair or walker, is that even if she weren't murdered she would not likely be alive.

Hey, got an update on this one. They have a possibility that I turned in that is in DNA right now. This was my first case that was at least really close. Detective thomas Fortuna, of the New York State Police, has the Doe case that I matched her too. Good guy and he is bending over backwards to keep me in the loop as things progress. The male companion has been described as a boyfriend when we talked on the phone. Fortuna thinks he's full of it too.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/9ufny.html This is the link to the one that she is being tested against right now. Ill keep everyone updated.

Hey, got an update on this one. They have a possibility that I turned in that is in DNA right now. This was my first case that was at least really close. Detective thomas Fortuna, of the New York State Police, has the Doe case that I matched her too. Good guy and he is bending over backwards to keep me in the loop as things progress. The male companion has been described as a boyfriend when we talked on the phone. Fortuna thinks he's full of it too.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/9ufny.html This is the link to the one that she is being tested against right now. Ill keep everyone updated.

Good work !! I'm anxious to hear news on this one.

Stephanie's sons DNA and Ellenville NY's Jane Doe are in testing. Fair warning, the lab is horribly backed up so it could be as long as a year before we know anything. I'll post as soon as I hear anything.

For the record, I am still waiting. Just wanted everyone who checks Stephanie's thread to know that I haven't forgotten her or you guys. Just impatiently playing the waiting game.

Hi, was looking around at maryland missing and saw this case, googled her name and found this post. Any updates? I see except for the last post, this is from 6 years ago. Was wondering how that DNA worked out?

I am sure that LE must regard the boyfriend as a POI. The following is a link to an article from the Star-Democrat from 1989. It requires a sub to see the full article but look down the page and you can read it under "OCR text".
https://stardem.newspapers.com/newspage/91948621/
The key information is that the story about going to London was the third story told by the boyfriend (the first two involved going to Atlantic City and Pittsburgh). How many innocent people give three conflicting stories and fail to evidence any of them? It would be interesting to know the subsequent life story of the friend but that would need an id which seems to be well hidden.

I am sure that LE must regard the boyfriend as a POI. The following is a link to an article from the Star-Democrat from 1989. It requires a sub to see the full article but look down the page and you can read it under "OCR text".
https://stardem.newspapers.com/newspage/91948621/
The key information is that the story about going to London was the third story told by the boyfriend (the first two involved going to Atlantic City and Pittsburgh). How many innocent people give three conflicting stories and fail to evidence any of them? It would be interesting to know the subsequent life story of the friend but that would need an id which seems to be well hidden.

I'm glad to see there's still some interest in this case... though I'm a couple years late to this thread :p

It very much struck me that the boyfriend was involved, somehow. Not sure what happened to let him off the hook. Police payoff?

Just seems like she was a very prominent person... hard to see why someone would want her "disappeared" though...

Thumbnail

Demographics
Missing Age39 Years
Current Age75 Years
First NameStephanie
Middle NameMarie
Last NameGant-Brady
Nickname/AliasPenny

SexFemale
Height5' 3" (63 Inches)
Weight110 lbs
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactApril 8, 1984
NamUs Case CreatedApril 10, 2009
Last Known Location Map
LocationBaltimore, Maryland
CountyBaltimore County

Circumstances of DisappearanceGant-Brady was last seen in Baltimore, Maryland on April 8, 1984. At the time of her disappearance, her male companion stated that she had gone to London, England to write a book. However, she had never obtained a passport, never picked up her paycheck, and left all of her personal belongings, including her wheelchair and walking cane at her residence. Gant-Brady has multiple accomplishments including becoming the first Black woman to graduate as Lieutenant in the Maryland National Guard and member of the Governor's Committee for the Handicapped, among many accomplishments.
Physical Description
Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Descriptionwears glasses and contacts
Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Eyewear
wears glasses and contacts.

Jewelry
She was last seen wearing an opal ring and a pinky ring with a small diamond.

R/O

upload_2019-11-21_11-26-25.png

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back