Bottled Tap Water ???!!!

BarnGoddess

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Pepsi's Aquafina and Coke's Dasani are nothing but tap water. Pepsi will now label their water as such. I just heard on our local news that Dasani is also from tap water.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5467759/
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070726/hl_nm/pepsico_aquafina_dc_1

For Dasani

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0304-04.htm

It gets worse:

http://www.newstarget.com/001028.html

Dasani could be contaminated with cancer causing agents.

I have bottled water in my refrigerator. I have received a few free at various events and kept the bottles. I also have a few small size bottles of Simply Lemonade and Simply Limeade. When finished, I fill them from my non chlorinated, pure water, right out of our well. Our well is one of the test wells in the area. It was found to be some of the finest water in the country. My sister in law comes to visit and brings gallon jugs to fill and take back to the city.

I had known for quite a while that some water was bottled from "public sources". I just feel it's a waste of money to buy water when what I have is as good and may be even better than what is offered in the stores.

So send me your bottles and your money, LOL.

I think it's silly as well to buy bottled water, especially if it's tap! We do buy it once in a while out of pure convenience and reuse the bottles like you do.

Our tap water tastes good, IMO. How neat that you have unchlorinated water right in your yard! I'm jealous!

I have to say I use bottled water when I'm going out or something and knew that it was probably tap water.

BUT O M G!!!! This is just horrible about Dasani. I have to admit I used to buy this because the 'word' was out that it was the best and I got sucked in!!! My daughter was drinking it by the bucketfuls when she was playing field hockey!

We have excellent drinking water where I live (Vancouver, British Columbia). I still filter it though.

This Thursday is our annual County Events Day for fair week. All the locals sign up for ranch rodeo type games. It's hotter than Hades this time of year and I have plenty of home bottled water getting ready for the coolers. I also get gallon jugs ready to pour over my head to cool down. As we are exposed all day and the horse trailer parked away from any water source, it's important we keep hydrated. Of course, down deep in the coolers there's some beer, LOL.

Years ago, we didn't carry bottles of water every where we went. We looked for a fountain in a park, or in a store if shopping and got thirsty. We also got a drink from the fountain between classes at school.

I have tried one or two flavored waters, but haven't found one I cared for. During the summer, I find myself making large quantities of lemonade and iced tea for the BarnGod.

This Thursday is our annual County Events Day for fair week. All the locals sign up for ranch rodeo type games. It's hotter than Hades this time of year and I have plenty of home bottled water getting ready for the coolers. I also get gallon jugs ready to pour over my head to cool down. As we are exposed all day and the horse trailer parked away from any water source, it's important we keep hydrated. Of course, down deep in the coolers there's some beer, LOL.

Years ago, we didn't carry bottles of water every where we went. We looked for a fountain in a park, or in a store if shopping and got thirsty. We also got a drink from the fountain between classes at school. You're so right!! But come to think of it, they don't put water fountains around like they used to either. Even if they did, I would bet most people wouldn't drink from them, 'cause we're so programmed with the bottled water.

I have tried one or two flavored waters, but haven't found one I cared for. During the summer, I find myself making large quantities of lemonade and iced tea for the BarnGod.

Good luck with your Country Fair! You always sound like you have so much fun! I think I'd like to live where you do!!:blowkiss:

Good luck with your Country Fair! You always sound like you have so much fun! I think I'd like to live where you do!!:blowkiss:
Thanks, we always have fun. Most of the town shuts down. County employees serve a free bar-b-que lunch, then the fun begins. We are doing the mare and colt race. Mares on one side of the arena, colts on the other. The bell rings and you let the colts go. The first to find mama and suck wins. One year we had three colts so thirsty they all tried to suck my mare. She didn't even care. Really gave the crowd in the grandstand a big laugh. The BarnGod is dragging his daughter on a rawhide sled and she's doing the hangman's race and barrels. It'll be a day of good clean fun. The weather is calling for high 80's and maybe a rain in the afternoon. Clouds should keep it bearable, but I'll still have plenty of home bottled water on hand.

This is old news, I think the Dasani incident happened a few years ago. Yeah, I just looked it up on Wikipedia, that bruhaha was in the U.K., not the U.S. And, I was very grateful for the bottled water earlier this month when the city's water supply was polluted, and no water at all came out of our taps. (The time without water went on for long enough that we did end up going to get some free bottled water from FEMA to see us through, so the cats would still have water to drink also.) ;) Bottled water does serve a purpose, in that you can buy them out of soda machines when you really need a drink of *WATER* while on the road, but this isn't a place to go get one. ETA: The bottled water given out was from Nestle for the record. I think it was made for people to carry in diaper bags for mixing bottles while traveling.

This is old news, I think the Dasani incident happened a few years ago. Yeah, I just looked it up on Wikipedia, that bruhaha was in the U.K., not the U.S. And, I was very grateful for the bottled water earlier this month when the city's water supply was polluted, and no water at all came out of our taps. (The time without water went on for long enough that we did end up going to get some free bottled water from FEMA to see us through, so the cats would still have water to drink also.) ;) Bottled water does serve a purpose, in that you can buy them out of soda machines when you really need a drink of *WATER* while on the road, but this isn't a place to go get one. ETA: The bottled water given out was from Nestle for the record. I think it was made for people to carry in diaper bags for mixing bottles while traveling.

Thanks for checking on the Dasani cancer story. That's yet another thing to come up recalled or in the news that I have been buying. Our tapwater tastes horrible around here.

When I was living in Orange County most bottled water brands sold locally were assumed to be tap water even though only a few were branded as such. Most people who bought this water lived in areas where the quality of tap water in their homes was dubious at best due to fertilizers being illegally flushed into aqueducts in the 1970's and early 80's. Some also had to deal with groundwater supplies that were naturally tainted with sulfur at non toxic levels that nevertheless gave a foul taste to their local tap water. They knew the bottled water they were buying was tap water but at least it came with a guarantee of neutral taste and being safe to drink, that's the very reason why they bought it. There is no law that says bottled water has to come from mineral springs, only laws that it make it illegal to claim so on the label when it's not the case. Those who want to be sure they are drinking mineral water better stick with Perrier or Vittel and such. If the label doesn't specify spring water or mineral water then it's most likely just tap water. It would be nice to know where exactly the water is tapped from though, as many brands don't specify it.

we drink bottled water & i won't drink anything but......i even give it to our cats....pour some tap water in a glass here, & you'll see all kinds of 'things' floating in it....uh uh, bottled water here only....i use the tap water to boil, cook with & of course for the dishwasher, & washing machine, & baths.....i buy the cases of Kroger brand bottle water for $3.99 & it's crystal clear......nothing will change my mind from buying bottled water, lol....

When I was living in Orange County most bottled water brands sold locally were assumed to be tap water even though only a few were branded as such. Most people who bought this water lived in areas where the quality of tap water in their homes was dubious at best due to fertilizers being illegally flushed into aqueducts in the 1970's and early 80's. Some also had to deal with groundwater supplies that were naturally tainted with sulfur at non toxic levels that nevertheless gave a foul taste to their local tap water. They knew the bottled water they were buying was tap water but at least it came with a guarantee of neutral taste and being safe to drink, that's the very reason why they bought it. There is no law that says bottled water has to come from mineral springs, only laws that it make it illegal to claim so on the label when it's not the case. Those who want to be sure they are drinking mineral water better stick with Perrier or Vittel and such. If the label doesn't specify spring water or mineral water then it's most likely just tap water. It would be nice to know where exactly the water is tapped from though, as many brands don't specify it.

the bottle water i buy 'says' "purified drinking water", which more than likely IS tap water run though some kind of filtration system...works for me:)

We always had great water until we moved to our present location. I have a filter on the sink, and also the fridge, but at my office we only have a small mutant bathroom sink, so I buy bottled water by the case.
I was drinking a bottle of Dansani when I first saw this thread. Lol, I had just taken the final massive drink when I saw the 'cancer causing' last part of the post, I almost choked.
Lanie

I buy bottled water, and I don't care if it comes from the tap, a well, or a spring. All I care about is that it is filtered and pure and free from chorine or any other chemical that alters taste. Mostly I buy it for convenience, but we recently got some cool thermous containers that keep the water cold for hours, so I may eventually buy less water.

I have been buying bottled water for years. We don't have a well and our water smells like chlorine when it comes out of the tap. I have been feeling guilty lately, even though we recycle the bottles. We are going to put a filter on our tap and try that for a while. Dasani does taste best.

I have been buying bottled water for years. We don't have a well and our water smells like chlorine when it comes out of the tap. I have been feeling guilty lately, even though we recycle the bottles. We are going to put a filter on our tap and try that for a while. Dasani does taste best.

I have a brita water filter that screws right onto the sink tap. The replacement cartridge lasts about 3-4 months and costs around $17.00. I think the water tastes fine with it.

it takes a very large amount of energy, and resources, to make all of those plastic bottles. I have resorted back to drinking tap water, although i always have a case of bottled water on hand, and grab one when I head out the door. I just refill the bottles with tap water and typically keep five 20oz. bottles within reach while I am on my computer.

They say that only 20% of the bottles get recycled--I recycle all of my cans and bottles, and have for many years.

It was no big secret, it always said "bottled from municipal services" LOL

THe best bottled water is Fiji, it has the coolest looking bottle. LOL

If you want to see how your local water tests out, you can go to http://www.epa.gov/safewater/dwinfo.htm

Bottled water isn't required to pass testing for Giardia or Cryphosporidium, as municipal water is. So conceivably, you could get sick from a contaminated batch of bottled water.

According to Consumer Reports, bottled water does pass tests for Arsenic, lead and other suspected carginogens.

If your children are young, they do not get fluoride from bottled water.

The most practical thing is to use a filter system; buy bottled water when you need it for on the go, etc. Using bottled water all the time is expensive, and polluting; and what do we need to make all those bottles? OIL

Arsenic is a threat with well supplies; which reminds me I really need to get mine tested, although I use a Culligan filter system.

it takes a very large amount of energy, and resources, to make all of those plastic bottles. I have resorted back to drinking tap water, although i always have a case of bottled water on hand, and grab one when I head out the door. I just refill the bottles with tap water and typically keep five 20oz. bottles within reach while I am on my computer.

They say that only 20% of the bottles get recycled--I recycle all of my cans and bottles, and have for many years.

That is my guilt. I can't justify buying it any more now that I know how much goes into the landfills. If I do get a bottle while I am out it does go into the recycle bin.

Paladin, yes, Brita is the one I am going to get. Hopefully, it will be in the next couple of days.

I wish there was more education about recycling and more opportunities to do so here. I think that if recycleables cans were located on sidewalks, etc. more people would pop their cans and bottles in there than into regular trash cans.

Our family now has much more recycleables to drop off than trash. We are educating ourselves and friends and relatives (hopefully they are listening) so that our children have a cleaner planet. Maybe it is time to remember the efforts that were put in place at schools in the mid 70s regarding energy and recycling. I know our local schools aren't teaching things like that now.

Our tap water tastes funny but I do use it to boil water etc. We have an ice maker/with water spout on our fridge and we have an 'inline filter' on it so we usually just refill and refill on hand water bottles from that. You can taste when the filter needs to be changed.

We live in OC, Calif and our water is what they call 'hard.' It leaves scum etc on the faucets.

fran

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back