WI - 35W bridge in Minneapolis collapses!

Hubby says Fox news is covering this live. He says there's a school bus right next to a truck that is on fire. :( :( Prayers needed, that's for sure.

4 lanes each way. Several people still in the river. Calling for volunteers that are trained in EMT.

Kids as young as 4 and 5, inconsolable but safe apparently.

We live near this and have gone over that bridge.

All of our local channels have been carrying this story along with the majors news stations.

They said there were 20-30 children in the school bus, and the kids are okay.

I hope they can get these people rescued before it's too dark. Witnesses saying she thinks she sees bodies that aren't moving in the water.

Multiple injuries, some critical.

Taximom, what channel are you watching?

thank GOD they got that schoolbus.

i heard that up to 50 cars could have been in the water.

Is anyone else thinking TERRORISM??????????

Multiple injuries, some critical.

Taximom, what channel are you watching?

I'm watching Fox news (cable) with Shepherd Smith (sp). I'm stunned.

The bridge is 64 ft high. No boats can come in from one side because of a dam. :(

I'm not! They are saying the bridge was under construction and it's about 40 yrs old. Should I be? :waitasec: Have there been terrorist threats in Minnesota?

It was rush hour and cars were stopped on the bridge in traffic. Maybe it couldn't hold all that weight at one time.

I can't tell you how thankful I am that the school bus was able to stop in time.

I don't think so. They have been working on repairing this bridge for awhile and have been pouring concrete and adding a de-icing mixture.

Bridge is 30-40 years old.

I'm watching Fox news (cable) with Shepherd Smith (sp). I'm stunned.

The bridge is 64 ft high. No boats can come in from one side because of a dam. :(

That's what we are watching, too. We've got a couple of local channels, so if I hear anything that local witnesses are talking about, I will update.

Local news is reporting a fireman says a minimum of 50 cars involved and could be up to 100.

This is the biggest tragedy our city has experienced. I still can't believe this is happening.

Not more than two days ago my son, and I, were discussing the very poor condition of so much of the infrastructure here in the United States. Something like 25% of our bridges nationwide are in poor condition, and should be replaced.

Our director of Homeland Security issued a statement saying they are watching the situation but there is no indication of terrorist action at this time (paraphrased from what I heard on Fox News).

CNN is live on the scene, and one interviewee said that the bridge was being resurfaced (no work was allegedly being done underneath the bridge)--some of the lanes were blocked off, and he thought only one lane was open at the time--there seems to be a lot of confusion, as can be expected. The bridge is right in the heart of the city near the Metrodome.

Only three known fatalities so far.

Seven cars are known to be submerged in the water.

I hope they can get these people rescued before it's too dark. Witnesses saying she thinks she sees bodies that aren't moving in the water.

A witness said that there were quite a few deceased, and it was not pretty.

Our director of Homeland Security issued a statement saying they are watching the situation but there is no indication of terrorist action at this time (paraphrased from what I heard on Fox News).

That is a relief, but I'm sure does little to makes those affected by this feel better. Horrible. :(

Not more than two days ago my son, and I, were discussing the very poor condition of so much of the infrastructure here in the United States. Something like 25% of our bridges nationwide are in poor condition, and should be replaced.

Buzzm,

I know what you mean. I've gone over some rickety old bridges and always wondered if they would hold all of the cars. I've thought about this when I have been on a bridge. Seems like there just is not enough funding anymore, and I wonder if this could happen in another city.

This is just terrible. I am thankful those kids in the bus are okay, but its going to be a very long night for rescuers. I can't imagine how many cars are down in the river or crushed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back