1595 users online (346 members and 1249 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NC - Phyllis Powell, 5, Woodland, 11 Jan 1963

All I could find are 2 articles in the newspaper archives.

Five-year-old Phyllis (sometimes spelled Phyliss) Powell disappeared around 1 p.m. on Friday, January 11, 1963. She was last seen when she left her grandfather's house on the outskirts of Woodland, North Carolina, to go to a nearby cousin's house. The short trip would have taken her across a field filled with irrigation ditches. The area is surrounded by woods and there is a swamp nearby. There was a massive 2-day search involving National Guard volunteers, rescue squads, 200 students from a nearby college, and a helicopter from the Elizabeth City Coast Guard. The formal search was called off on Sunday, January 13, however police said they suspected foul play and would continue to investigate her disappearance.

Woodland families still search for answers

Friday, January 19, 2007

WOODLAND - They will never forget. They will never surrender the search.

Forty-three years have now passed since Phyllis L. Powell of Woodland suddenly disappeared on Jan. 11, 1963.

To this day, the family still searches for answers.

“Many people have forgotten about little Phyllis (age 5 when she went missing) or weren’t even born, but her tragic disappearance still haunts our family,” William “Buddy” Powell, Phyllis’ oldest brother, said.

He continued, “I stop at least twice a week at the corner of Highway 35 and Ashe Street (in Woodland) still hoping to find some answers. Each time I stop I live through the agony and pain from 43 years ago when I was first told that my little sister was missing and was nowhere to be found.”

Phyllis disappeared around 12 noon on Jan. 11, 1963. She was last seen at the residence of Lewis and Bernice Vinson, located at 310 Ashe Street. Despite a massive search, there were no clues discovered on the little girl’s whereabouts.

“Not only does her disappearance linger on in the minds of the Powell family, but the Vinson family as well, “Powell said. “Lewis and Bernice Vinson were the last known people to see little Phyllis before she vanished. The pain in our hearts lingers on.”

More at link:
    http://www.r-cnews.com/articles/2007...news/news6.txt

http://doenetwork.org/cases/14ufaz.html">http://doenetwork.org/cases/14ufaz.html

Does anyone have a picture of this girl? I can't find one and I can't list her on Charley without one.

It's really irritating to see articles about missing people that don't include a picture.

I haven't been able to find any pictures of Phyllis. I did exchange a few emails with Cal Bryant, the author of the article, because I thought she might be a match for someone I know who is searching for her birth family. Turns out the races are different (my friend is Caucasian, Phyllis is African American) and Cal didn't want to get the family's hopes up for nothing. I wonder, though, if you contacted him, if he could obtain a picture for you to post on the Charley Project. It pains me to see children like this just "slip through the cracks".

Pic

There are no pic of phyliss Powell. Phyliss is being compaired against a Jane Doe fond in Northampton County NC in 1983. I know the family and have been working with them. They have sumittd there DNA and a piece of the bone of the child found have been sent to texas for comparison.

I have the article from 1963-1999.

The Jane Doe was a black chld been the ages of 4-8 found by a hunter. The skull was found the sheriff at the time sent them to UNC Chapel Hill. The Sheriff died in office and these bones where never looked into. I was watching the Montel Williams show when this lady from UNC Charlotte brought them on the show. When she said where they were found I almost dropped my Jaw. I had just read where they were still looking for Phyliss. I called the Northampton County Police department and there only responce was tha they did not know anything about these bones. I let it drop and when I moved to Winston Salem I started checking back into this. I called Clyde Gibbs at UNC Chapel Hill ( great Guy) and he looked them up and said yea we have them bones. I told him I might know whom they belong too. I got intouch with Buddy Powell and we had DNA test set up with the SBI out of Greensboro we had to go through SBI because the Sheriff Department would not return our calls. The DNA test should be back anytime.

The Jane Doe was found less than 30 miles from when phyliss went missing.

Betty Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Gina_M View Post
    I haven't been able to find any pictures of Phyllis. I did exchange a few emails with Cal Bryant, the author of the article, because I thought she might be a match for someone I know who is searching for her birth family. Turns out the races are different (my friend is Caucasian, Phyllis is African American) and Cal didn't want to get the family's hopes up for nothing. I wonder, though, if you contacted him, if he could obtain a picture for you to post on the Charley Project. It pains me to see children like this just "slip through the cracks".
    Cal already knows about the possible match betwen Phyliss and the Jane Doe child. He has been helping us out and is going to break the story if this is her. He has coved Phyliss missing every year for the past 15 years.The family has unlisted number and is waiting for DNA results. They are about 95% sure it is Phyliss that was found back in 1983. I do not know how it got on the Doe network because they wanted to keep everything under wraps until they found out if it was her. Someone must of have seen it on OCCI and posted it. We have been following this from the start. Phyliss was the youngest of 12 children, there family was very poor at the time she went missing.

DNA back

Clyde Gibbs ( coroner) called me to let me know that our 1983 child doe is not phyllis powell. There were NO hits for the family or for our child doe.

NCMEC open opened a case for our Christmas Jane Doe, They will be doing a clay head from the skull. We did find out that our doe is a female. We have already summitted 4 girls for comparison. Kelly Staples, Toya Hill, Kathy Davidson, Tracy Lynn Davenport.

I think Toya Hill may be a better match. We will see. They have Toya's dna avaible at the maryland missing person unit.

Betty

Hi Betty (Seifsister)

Could you mention this little girl to the coroner you are talking to. I realize she is not in the right age range but she was small for her age.

Sherri Lee Truesdale, Missing 13 June 1970 from Winston-Salem, NC
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'2; 75 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Black hair; brown eyes.
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/75dfnc.html

This case has been close to my heart... if you could just mention it to Clyde Gibbs I would greatly appreciate it. Winston-Salem is just a few hours from Northampton County.

Sherri Truesdale

Yaya

Hey. I have worked with det. on Sherri's case. He had the family come in and give there DNA to be sent to texas. I tring to think but I believe they gave thee DNA back in April or May. So when they upload there DNA if it is her they will get a hit. I told him about the Namus program and He called and talked to George Adams. So keep your fingers crossed.
    He seems to be a good cop but he does not know allot about the DNA avaible for CODIS. He is not in missing persons he is a protol offiicer that worked with homicide, So you from NC? Near here?

Betty

Hi Betty... that is wonderful to hear! I'm glad the family has given DNA. I keep thinking someday we will know what happen to Sherri or at the very least law enforcement may be able to return her remains to her family. Yes, I do live relatively close to Winston. I'm in Surry County, about 40 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Seifsister View Post
    Yaya

Hey. I have worked with det. on Sherri's case. He had the family come in and give there DNA to be sent to texas. I tring to think but I believe they gave thee DNA back in April or May. So when they upload there DNA if it is her they will get a hit. I told him about the Namus program and He called and talked to George Adams. So keep your fingers crossed.
    He seems to be a good cop but he does not know allot about the DNA avaible for CODIS. He is not in missing persons he is a protol offiicer that worked with homicide, So you from NC? Near here?

Betty

Clyde Gibbs ( coroner) called me to let me know that our 1983 child doe is not phyllis powell. There were NO hits for the family or for our child doe.

NCMEC open opened a case for our Christmas Jane Doe, They will be doing a clay head from the skull. We did find out that our doe is a female. We have already summitted 4 girls for comparison. Kelly Staples, Toya Hill, Kathy Davidson, Tracy Lynn Davenport.

I think Toya Hill may be a better match. We will see. They have Toya's dna avaible at the maryland missing person unit.

Betty
    They are compairing dna from Jane doe child to Toya Hill from Baltimore Maryland she disappeared in 3/1982. That puts her in the time frame also she was only a tank of gas away. Det. Mingle working Toya case is very dedicated to finding her. So maybe we can send Christmas Jane Doe home to someone this time.( we named her Christmas Jane Doe for when she was found)

Betty

There are no pic of phyliss Powell. Phyliss is being compaired against a Jane Doe fond in Northampton County NC in 1983. I know the family and have been working with them. They have sumittd there DNA and a piece of the bone of the child found have been sent to texas for comparison.

I have the article from 1963-1999.

The Jane Doe was a black chld been the ages of 4-8 found by a hunter. The skull was found the sheriff at the time sent them to UNC Chapel Hill. The Sheriff died in office and these bones where never looked into. I was watching the Montel Williams show when this lady from UNC Charlotte brought them on the show. When she said where they were found I almost dropped my Jaw. I had just read where they were still looking for Phyliss. I called the Northampton County Police department and there only responce was tha they did not know anything about these bones. I let it drop and when I moved to Winston Salem I started checking back into this. I called Clyde Gibbs at UNC Chapel Hill ( great Guy) and he looked them up and said yea we have them bones. I told him I might know whom they belong too. I got intouch with Buddy Powell and we had DNA test set up with the SBI out of Greensboro we had to go through SBI because the Sheriff Department would not return our calls. The DNA test should be back anytime.

The Jane Doe was found less than 30 miles from when phyliss went missing.

Betty Brown
    Wow! Good. Yes, Clyde is very good guy.

Clyde Gibbs

I told Clyde if I did not live so far away that I would come down and volenteer but he is over 2 hr. away.

Betty

Please sign petition

I have a petition that I am tring to get signed it is located at the address listed. I would like to see the SBI of NC reopen and handle Phyllis Powells case, Phyllis Powell to date is not listed in NCIC and the police dept. ( even Sheriff) will not return phone calls to me or to State Coroner.We still do not know her case number. Her family gave dna to texas and came back as no hits. The NC Coroner is handling the Powell family DNA because they can not get any help from Sheriff Department.

Thanks for all of your support.
    God Bless

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/963/index.html
    Life Is What We Make It.
    Visit Me at:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/North-...y/303188754080

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast