Pit Bull and Other Dog Attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I started to discuss this on the other thread about the 2 year old that was sexually attacked by a Pitbull.

It's important to discuss this topic (IMO) because I know we have several members who will swear that Pitbulls are not at fault for the attacks on people. Plus, Pitbulls seem to be in the news a lot lately.

After typing in "Pitbull" in the Google News Search I couldn't believe how many stories came up.
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=Pitbull&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&start=0

Now, the question is, is this the fault of the media? Is the media over-reporting on Pitbulls and under reporting on other breeds?

Look, we know that Poodles and other high strung dogs actually bite more but according to stats (which I am trying to locate) Pitbulls and Rottweilers are by far the breeds that harm and kill the most.

I've been bitten by 2 small breed dogs. They bit me as hard as they could. For no reason I might add. These dogs didn't even break my skin.

If a Pitbull bit me unprovoked as hard as it could the outcome would be much different.

One more question. Does anyone know of a story where a Pitbull attacked after being provoked? It seems the story is always the same...unprovoked attack on a person by a Pitbull causing harm or death.

Am I wrong? Is this "hysterical" type thinking?

Let's keep the thread nice kids, as we discuss this hot topic.

Tricia

Hot topic is right!
I think I will just watch.

I think these types of attacks occur with these types of dogs because the dogs are not trained or cared for properly.

I also believe that certain types of dogs match up with certain types of humans. Obviously I would never have a dog with an aggressive temperment around my child, or any child for that matter.

I think it's a matter of circumstance and training. So I blame humans.

I think it's poor breeding and human error

There are aggressive dogs of every breed. Pits are no different, but are often trained to be aggressive by stupid owners!

There are aggressive dogs of every breed. Pits are no different, but are often trained to be aggressive by stupid owners!

I agree. My dh was bitten horribly as a child by a black lab. The aggressiveness of the dog depends on the training it has or hasn't received. I teach my kids that any dog can be aggressive so we treat strange dogs as if they are.

Right, and my 10 lb dachshund jumped up and bit someone on the butt one time. Almost any dog has the potential for being aggressive under the right circumstances.

They are a menace and the breed should be eliminated, IMHO.

I agree to some extent that it is the owners...pits are the breed of choice for fighting and of drug dealers. However, the breed is dangerous. Not only are they more volatile than many breeds, they have the wherewithall to back up that aggression.

Many insurance companies will not even cover you if you have one.

Cal

I truthfully am afraid of pitbulls!
I'd never own one nor do I want to be around one.

All breeds can be dangerous but pit bulls are the pits!

Pits are a dangerous breed and its no wonder they are banned in some cities and if you have one, you could see your home owners insurance being cancelled.

I realize that all breeds of dogs bite. There probably are more dog bites from other breeds than pit bulls. However, pits do account for the most SEVERE dog bites and attacks. More children and adults have been killed by pit bulls than any other breed.

Fighting is in their breeding and history. Just like Thorobreds are bred for racing, Pits have been used for fighting for so long, I really have no idea why someone would want this breed of dog when there are others. What is the dog breed of choice amongst thugs? Pit bulls.

They are a menace and the breed should be eliminated, IMHO.

I agree to some extent that it is the owners...pits are the breed of choice for fighting and of drug dealers. However, the breed is dangerous. Not only are they more volatile than many breeds, they have the wherewithall to back up that aggression.

Many insurance companies will not even cover you if you have one.

Cal

This is true.

IMO we need to look at the facts. All in All what breed harms the most? Not bites, but actally causes the most harm.

I also agree that it's the human's fault as much as anything.

I am trying to find the article about one attack.

This poor man had a pet Pitbull. Family dog. Lovable. Had it since it was a puppy.Never a problem. One day the dog, out of the blue, went off on his daughter and killed her. What stuck in my mind and my heart was this guy just wailing that if his Pitbull would do this than any Pitbull would.

This is true.

IMO we need to look at the facts. All in All what breed harms the most? Not bites, but actally causes the most harm.

I also agree that it's the human's fault as much as anything.

I am trying to find the article about one attack.

This poor man had a pet Pitbull. Family dog. Lovable. Had it since it was a puppy.Never a problem. One day the dog, out of the blue, went off on his daughter and killed her. What stuck in my mind and my heart was this guy just wailing that if his Pitbull would do this than any Pitbull would.

It's the muslim argument....

Not all muslims are terrorists but virtually all terrorists in today's world are muslims.

Not all pits will kill but a good number of the serious maulings or deaths are from these dogs.

Cal

They are danger! I am not going to say anymore most of you know why I say this.

Sadly, pit bulls have acquired a reputation as unpredictable, dangerous, and vicious. Their intimidating appearance has made them attractive to the wrong sorts of owner—people who are looking for a macho dog and end up encouraging aggressive behavior. In order to meet the growing demand for pit bulls, unscrupulous and uncaring breeders are producing puppies without maintaining the breed’s typical reliability with people. In fact, pit bulls are now notorious for redirecting aggression from a dog to any person who attempts to break up a fight. It is a shame what has happened to this loyal and affectionate breed.

Having said all that, we must tell you that a well-bred, well-socialized, and well-trained pit bull is one of the most delightful, intelligent, and gentle dogs imaginable. Some of the most famous dogs in American history were pit bulls: Stubby, the most decorated United States war dog; Petey, the beloved mascot from Little Rascals, and Helen Keller’s faithful companion. Additionally, many pit bulls were featured in well-known advertising campaigns, such as Buster Brown shoes and Levis. The majority of pit bulls are still ambassadors for their breed, serving as loving companions, family members, and therapy dogs, working in search and rescue, narcotics and explosives detection, and police and sentry duty. Unfortunately, we often hear more about the exceptions than the rule.

ASPCA website

I'm not going to post too much on this thread as the thread in the Pet Forum has plenty of my posts which sum up my feelings on these dogs.

I copied my post from the other thread.

One of the first paralegal assignments I had years ago was working on a pit bull dog bite case. A 4 year old pit bull, who had been raised by this same family since birth, attacked the 7 year old daughter. As I was looking through the file, a handful of pictures fell out on the floor. As I bent down to pick them up, I almost threw up. This poor little girl's face was basically ripped off from the top of her head all down the right side of her face with puncture marks under her jaw.

She had over 3000 stitches and 20 surgeries and will be scarred for life. She had skin grafts from her buttocks and inner and outer thighs. She had her lower jaw crushed and wired back together.

It was THE most horrific thing I have EVER seen - and in my work, I've seen a lot. NEVER EVER will I or would I trust one of these dogs. I don't care how much love you give them, how cute you think they are, how smart they are, etc. They CAN and WILL turn on you with NO notice. This is just one story of many I can share. I've seen many over the last almost 20 years. Happens all the time and in nice loving homes. They simply CANNOT be trusted.

Sorry for the rant. I just can't understand anyone owning one of these dogs.

Just my opinion.

If we were to ban every breed of dog that's attacked a human being, we wouldn't have any canines left on this planet. Here's a great website showing the many breeds of dogs that have been responsible for attacks. It's far from being all Pits.

Sadly, pit bulls have acquired a reputation as unpredictable, dangerous, and vicious. Their intimidating appearance has made them attractive to the wrong sorts of owner—people who are looking for a macho dog and end up encouraging aggressive behavior. In order to meet the growing demand for pit bulls, unscrupulous and uncaring breeders are producing puppies without maintaining the breed’s typical reliability with people. In fact, pit bulls are now notorious for redirecting aggression from a dog to any person who attempts to break up a fight. It is a shame what has happened to this loyal and affectionate breed.

Having said all that, we must tell you that a well-bred, well-socialized, and well-trained pit bull is one of the most delightful, intelligent, and gentle dogs imaginable. Some of the most famous dogs in American history were pit bulls: Stubby, the most decorated United States war dog; Petey, the beloved mascot from Little Rascals, and Helen Keller’s faithful companion. Additionally, many pit bulls were featured in well-known advertising campaigns, such as Buster Brown shoes and Levis. The majority of pit bulls are still ambassadors for their breed, serving as loving companions, family members, and therapy dogs, working in search and rescue, narcotics and explosives detection, and police and sentry duty. Unfortunately, we often hear more about the exceptions than the rule.

ASPCA website

Thank you Ntegrity. This is a very thoughtful post. Gives me pause.

So you are saying it's the poor breeding of the dogs now that are causing the seemingly increase in agressive behavior.

How does a person, who has a family, maybe even a small child, know for sure they are not getting a Pitbull that is poorly bred?

Im with you....Ill get the popcorn

LOL...OK...I think this is an episode of me being a dumb and ill informed forum owner.

I take it this subject has been discussed before with some rather, shall we say, hot replies?

The main reason I started this thread is because of all the latest stories in the news. Just within the past 30 days.

So...what did I miss? Do I need to lockdown and bring in the teargas before it gets out of hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes