1127 users online (186 members and 941 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - Ottorrina "Terrina" Bonaventura, 80, Yosemite, Aug 2007

http://www.nwi.com/articles/2007/08/...2d00159ffe.txt

A Northwest Indiana woman is missing in Yosemite National Park.

Ottorrina "Terrina" Bonaventura, 80, of Schererville, was on a day hike with three friends about 11:30 a.m. on Monday when she told them she was returning to camp, said Adrienne Freeman, of the National Park Service's incident investigations unit.

Bonaventura has not been seen since, Freeman said

More at link. I'm not familiar with Yosemite at all, but Schererville is the town next to me.

I'm just so impressed that an 80 year old woman can go on a hike that I don't know what to say, except that I hope she's found healthy so she can continue to be an inspiration for others.

I hope it has been warm out so this poor little thing doesn't freeze. Yes, she is something else to go camping at her age isn't she. Hope I'm that sprite at her age if I'm still hanging in there. She must have gotten turned around and lost her way. I hope that there is a search party out there combing the woods for her. I hope that she stayed in one spot once she realized that she was lost instead of wandering further and further. Hope she is found soon and is alright.

Search under way for missing backpacker at Yosemite

~snip~

She is an experienced hiker but has a history of memory loss, which can lead to confusion.

http://www.modbee.com/local/pmupdates/story/31608.html

I hope they find her soon.

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articl...2e00030a21.txt

Sounds like an all-out search is underway. I wonder why she decided to head back to camp on her own. I almost wonder if maybe she wasn't feeling well, but just a speculation. My heart goes out to her family. She sounds like an awfully spunky person.

Am I missing something, or have the news reports failed to mention who she was hiking with? Unless she was hiking with young children or other older or otherwise impared adults. It makes no sense to me that her companions had no problem letting her return to camp all by herself, especially if she were not feeling well!

Why are the news reports so vague about this? Anyone?

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
    Am I missing something, or have the news reports failed to mention who she was hiking with? Unless she was hiking with young children or other older or otherwise impared adults. It makes no sense to me that her companions had no problem letting her return to camp all by herself, especially if she were not feeling well!

Why are the news reports so vague about this? Anyone?

Susan
    No, you're not missing anything. This is the first report that I saw the other day:

Searchers are looking for Ottorrina "Terrina" Bonaventura in the Tuolumne Meadows back country. Bonaventura, who is an experienced hiker, started out Monday on a day trip from Vogelsang High Sierra Camp with three others. Her companions said she turned back toward camp a short time later to properly store some food.

Witnesses said they saw her about 2 p.m. Monday at Emeric Lake, which is in the opposite direction of her planned hike.
    http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=31038

No mention of the hiking companions as far as their age or anything and its not clear who the "witnesses" are. It seems she may have been confused or at least turned around if she was in the opposite direction of where she planned to hike. I don't know why they would split up to begin with?? As far as coverage...I'd say its about par for the course with my experience following or at least trying to follow cases like these in and around this area.

Thanks Chico!

Yosemite Officials Scale Off Missing Hiker Search

~snip~

After sending out more than 150 searchers to scour a 100,000-square mile area last week, park officials scaled back the operation Monday to just a dozen rangers and search and rescue workers. Searchers are now focusing on the areas surrounding Emeric Lake and Boothe Lake, which sit in a high alpine region full of exposed granite outcroppings.

~snip~

Park officials are asking anyone who has been in the area to contact them, and investigators are interviewing everyone who was issued a wilderness permit hoping for new leads, Freeman said.

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_218143717.html

Who lets an 80 year old woman walk around in the mountains alone? Sigh.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Angie4b1g View Post

That is what I was thinking. She might have been a experienced hiker at one time but good grief the lady is 80 yrs old. I wonder why someone didn't go back to the camp site with her? The longer she is out there exposed to all kinds of things the less chance there is of finding her alive.

She sure sounds spunky. Maybe she was with others in her own age group?

But she was an 80 year old woman with a history of memory problems. I wouldn't let her walk alone no matter what. Although, I'm sure they are regretting having done it, now.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far. - Joe Walsh

Yosemite Officials End Search For Missing Hiker

Yosemite National Park officials have ended the search for an elderly woman who disappeared in the park the last month.

A spokeswoman say park officials have pulled out all search crews looking for 80-year-old Ottorrina Bonaventura of Schererville, Indiana.

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_219124059.html

Who can make an 80 year old woman do something she doesn't want to? Please let me know how to do it! And if there are tips for 90 year old men, I would appreciate those also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast