1452 users online (267 members and 1185 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Marilyn...I looked at some stuff on newspaperarchive last night. I didn't make notes, so I don't have the actual articles, but Anna, the housekeeper, had been divorced 2 times before she arrived at the Parsons home (that would seem unheard of in those days??) and she had lied to them about who or what she really was? Am I correct on that?

Also, her last ex-hubby was located and interviewed as a POI??

Sorry for not having better details, I was pooped last night!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    I also saw that article, but after searching the New York Times archives, I found a couple of other articles that refuted that sighting. There actually were a number of alleged sightings of Alice, in Boston as well as New York, but nothing was ever confirmed. Also, there were telephone calls from women claiming to be Alice which were determined to be hoaxes.

The train stations were checked to see if anyone sold a ticket to Alice, or a woman matching Alice's description, and that turned up nothing.

I have more info to post on this case, and when I get it put into some kind of coherent form, I'll post it here.
    I should have figured it wasn't true since I'm sure you would have posted it in the original thread about the case had it been a valid sighting. Sorry! Thanks for the correction.
    Please Help Find Brian Shaffer!

www.findbrianshaffer.com

Quote Originally Posted by liz325 View Post
    I should have figured it wasn't true since I'm sure you would have posted it in the original thread about the case had it been a valid sighting. Sorry! Thanks for the correction.
    Hey, no problem. I should have posted some of the various "sightings" of Alice Parsons, but figured everyone had enough to ponder. The story you referred to was considered by the police to be a legitimate sighting at one time, but after later investigation they changed their minds. The first story is on Newspaperarchives, but the follow up story isn't - I had to pay for it on the New York Times archives website.

I've also found inconsistencies in some of the articles. In one, the Parsons estate is referred to as being 22-acres, not the 11-acres reported by most people. And Anna Kuprianova's name is sometimes spelled Kupryanova in some articles. Just some of the joys of resarching!!

(Homer Simpson voice) Ummm...Squab paste canapes...

Quote Originally Posted by Morag View Post
    (Homer Simpson voice) Ummm...Squab paste canapes...
    I can just hear him saying that!!

I don't know what squab paste tastes like, and I don't really want to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    I can just hear him saying that!!

I don't know what squab paste tastes like, and I don't really want to find out.
    To paraphrase Douglas Adams it is likely "one of those disgusting foods that rich idiots use to impress other rich idiots!"

--Bill who can cook and/or eat just about anything except sea urchin (or now squab paste)

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
    To paraphrase Douglas Adams it is likely "one of those disgusting foods that rich idiots use to impress other rich idiots!"
    Douglas Adams is never wrong about these things!

I need to look up a recipe for squab paste, if possible, and see exactly what it is made of (other than squab, of course).

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    I am so ignorant I had to look up what squab is, okay? Then it was "oh yeah, that is squab". I wonder what it tastes like. I love trying new things but I don't think near here would serve squab. It is hard enough finding decent sushi or fois gras. I should be on Extreme Eats.

Back on topic, Marilyn, did the adoption go through? Do you know if there are decendants alive today? If you could talk to them that would be interesting.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one. This one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by tennessee View Post
    Back on topic, Marilyn, did the adoption go through? Do you know if there are decendants alive today? If you could talk to them that would be interesting.
    I have not done any research on William Parsons, Anna Kuprianova-Parsons or Roy Parsons and their lives after they moved to California. That is my next project, to begin this weekend.

I believe the adoption went through, but will need to confirm it.

According to Epicurious:

squab
    [SKWAHB]
    A young (about 4 weeks old) domesticated pigeon that has never flown and is therefore extremely tender. It was a popular special-occasion dish in Victorian England. Squabs usually weigh 1 pound or less and have delicately flavored dark meat. Fresh squab is available throughout the summer months (year-round in some regions) in gourmet markets. Frozen squab is marketed year-round. Choose fresh birds by their plump, firm appearance. Store as for CHICKEN. Likewise, squab can be prepared in any manner suitable for chicken. A classic method is to stuff and roast it.

I imagine that these days, the terminology would be different...it would probably be marketed as squab paté instead of squab paste.

You can see a recipe similar to what they might have made here:
    http://www.squab.com/recipe/recipe.mv?1147924066

Squab has been a major big deal delicacy in many parts of the world, and would have been up there as a "must have" party food for the high-fliers, along with their beluga caviar and fine champagne. I imagine that it was a good venture for them.

So I suppose that this might provide an alternate theory. What if Anna was being pushed out by the Mrs. or otherwise had some kind of dispute with her? It might have been the last straw.

Dear me, I just figured a squab was a plant - something like okra maybe. Killin' baby birds!!??

Seriously, I had no idea and was too lazy to go looking!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecat View Post
    So I suppose that this might provide an alternate theory. What if Anna was being pushed out by the Mrs. or otherwise had some kind of dispute with her? It might have been the last straw.
    That is a good theory. From what I have read so far, the squab paste business was very lucrative. Anna owned the recipe, and the Parsons provided the squab. There could have been a dispute in connection with this partnership.

Thanks for the squab info. I agree that what was called squab paste was probably what we would call squab pate. I believe this is quite popular in China.

A few days ago, Liz325 posted:

[quote] I did a quick search last night in the archives and I found an article in an Oshkosh, WI newspaper from August of 1937 that said Anna was not the only witness who saw Alice in the black sedan. I think it said a postal employee saw her in such a car as well. [quote]

I replied by saying that sighting had been refuted. However, while reviewing my research this weekend, I determined my reply was in error. There was an alleged sighting of Alice by a woman who worked for the post office and who saw Alice just about every day. She claimed that Alice was driving her own car and was alone. This sighting would have occurred well after Anna said Alice Parsons rode off with the mystery couple in the black sedan. It appears that the postal employee's sighting was considered by the police to be very credible.

During a thunderstorm here in Pittsburgh last week, my computer modem got messed up so I was unable to do any research over the weekend. However, I do have a lot more information to post, which I'll do today or tomorrow. In order to keep up the suspense, I'll leave you with this teaser: a bottle of chloroform was missing from the Parsons' home with no explanation.

I wonder if she saw Alice, or if she just saw a female shape in the car? You see what you expect to see. Anna could have dressed like Alice, worn a hat that shaded her face (or had a little veil - which would have been common), and passed for Alice from a distance.

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    Was chloroform something normally kept in a house? That just seems weird.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one. This one is mine.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast