936 users online (94 members and 842 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilibet View Post
    I got a pm back from Marilyn. I don't think she'll mind if I let you know what is going on. She had a serious injury to her right shoulder and wrist that has required rehab, so that has set her back and kept her from typing much. She will come back when she can type more easily and hopes to have the book ready for a publisher this year. She said that two more boxes of documents dealing with Anna were recently released at the National Archives! She needs to review those. Wishing her a speedy recovery!

yeah!! so happy!! I really want to read it!!

I had been wondering where Marilyn went
    I liked it. I was good at it. It made me feel alive.

searchingforanna.net & searchingforanna.info
    Anna Christian Waters' new websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivette View Post
    I had been wondering where Marilyn went
    I sent her a pm a couple of weeks ago and she said she'd stop by and post. She still plans to look at National Archives boxes of info. Shall we all send her a pm to nag her?
    FOUR YEARS IS 1460 DAYS TOO LONG!!
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE KNOWS SOMETHING! SPEAK UP!
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON

MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872

omg, ya'll. I just read through this whole thread yesterday. I am so amazed at the work that everyone has done on this case, and I can't wait to read Marilyn's book.

One of the most fascinating threads I've read on WS..... I am amazed at the combined efforts (and sleuthing abilities) of the group! I wonder if the original poster is still working on her book? I'd love to read it, for sure.

Russian Names

Hi guys,

I'm a long time floater on this forum, and just made an account so I could comment on this case specifically.

Something sticks out for me about Anna's name, Anna Stanislava Kuprianova (nee Shishkova). It really doesn't sound quite right to be an authentic Russian name.

Russian naming practices are VERY rigid. Recently, I was reading War and Peace and getting very confused with all the characters multiple names, so I did a little research on Russian naming practices. They typically have three names: a first name, a patronymic and a family name. The first name is the individual's name, the patronymic is derived from the father's name and the family name operates just like a Western surname.

Let's take a famous Russian, the murdered Princess Anastasia, as our example. His full Russian name was Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova. Anastasia was her given name, Romanova the female version of the family name "Romanov". The patronymic "Nikolaevna", is because her father's name was Nikolai. Her brother, Alexei, had the male version of the patronymic, hence his full name was Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov.

Now back to Anna. As others have mentioned, both Kuprianova and Shishkova are the female versions of her husband and father's surnames, Kuprianov and Shishkov respectively. It is the Stanislava that sent bells ringing for me. Firstly, if that was her middle name, we should expect Anna's father to be named something like Stanislav [unknown patronymic] Shishkov, but instead I seem to recall that her father was known by another name (which I can't find now on this huge thread! Perhaps someone can remind me).

Also, Stanislava is the incorrect patronymic for a daughter of a man called "Stanislav". The female patronymic for a daughter of a man called Stanislav would be Stanislavovna/Stanislavevna, as the male version would be "Stanislavovich". I can only think of two explanations for this - that it was an attempt at anglicisation/mistake by the immigration authorities, or that Anna was not "Russian", but another ethnicity that had slightly different naming practices. She was born in Crimea, which is now a disputed territory between Russia and Ukraine. Maybe she had Ukrainian ancestry? Or Yugoslavian, as has been suggested?

I know this may add a little confusion to Anna's past, but also may give us a lead on her background. Was her father's name Stanislav Shishkov?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeThemFly View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm a long time floater on this forum, and just made an account so I could comment on this case specifically.

Something sticks out for me about Anna's name, Anna Stanislava Kuprianova (nee Shishkova). It really doesn't sound quite right to be an authentic Russian name.

Russian naming practices are VERY rigid. Recently, I was reading War and Peace and getting very confused with all the characters multiple names, so I did a little research on Russian naming practices. They typically have three names: a first name, a patronymic and a family name. The first name is the individual's name, the patronymic is derived from the father's name and the family name operates just like a Western surname.

Let's take a famous Russian, the murdered Princess Anastasia, as our example. His full Russian name was Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova. Anastasia was her given name, Romanova the female version of the family name "Romanov". The patronymic "Nikolaevna", is because her father's name was Nikolai. Her brother, Alexei, had the male version of the patronymic, hence his full name was Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov.

Now back to Anna. As others have mentioned, both Kuprianova and Shishkova are the female versions of her husband and father's surnames, Kuprianov and Shishkov respectively. It is the Stanislava that sent bells ringing for me. Firstly, if that was her middle name, we should expect Anna's father to be named something like Stanislav [unknown patronymic] Shishkov, but instead I seem to recall that her father was known by another name (which I can't find now on this huge thread! Perhaps someone can remind me).

Also, Stanislava is the incorrect patronymic for a daughter of a man called "Stanislav". The female patronymic for a daughter of a man called Stanislav would be Stanislavovna/Stanislavevna, as the male version would be "Stanislavovich". I can only think of two explanations for this - that it was an attempt at anglicisation/mistake by the immigration authorities, or that Anna was not "Russian", but another ethnicity that had slightly different naming practices. She was born in Crimea, which is now a disputed territory between Russia and Ukraine. Maybe she had Ukrainian ancestry? Or Yugoslavian, as has been suggested?

I know this may add a little confusion to Anna's past, but also may give us a lead on her background. Was her father's name Stanislav Shishkov?
    Very interesting! I am off to do some reading now... Thanks for posting this.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Wow that was an amazing read! Cant wait to go thru the thread.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D0HC8RFXZVo/Sm4sWrmXXiI/AAAAAAAAAOs/fe1Urm9FPpQ/s400/mbfashion.gif

Really hoping there will be more to come on this.

Alice deserves her story to be told.
    Boyfriends and girlfriends are not Babysitters.
    Just because you want to be with somebody does not mean they will take care of your children.

SeeThemFly! Thanks so much for the information on Russian names. You may be onto something.
    FOUR YEARS IS 1460 DAYS TOO LONG!!
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE KNOWS SOMETHING! SPEAK UP!
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON

MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872

Who's Anna?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody.

Lily Tomlin

Tiny bit of extra research. I looked up Ukrainian naming practices, and like Russian practices we are expecting the first name-patronymic-surname structure we've seen previously. However, the patronymic endings are slightly different. Where in Russian, a male patronymic ending would be -evich/-ovich, in Ukrainian it tends to be -ovych/-evych. For women, where in Russia we are looking at ovna/evna, in the Ukraine it is likely to be -ivna.

As for "Yugoslavia" it is more difficult, as obviously there are so many different communities that could include. Wasn't there a town called something like Malapertsiva getting thrown around at some point with a connection to Anna? If we knew which region she could have been from it might give us a clue.

That being said, it might help looking for Anna under these slightly varied names if we want to turn up more about her past.

Quote Originally Posted by Tssiemer View Post
    Who's Anna?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The housekeeper.
    MOO, IMO, etc...

Did anyone find anything on Anna's father's name?

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39