A New Sarcophagus

Buzz Mills

Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
$507 million pledged for Chernobyl

KIEV, Ukraine - The European Bank of Reconstruction and Development has pledged $507 million to help Ukraine build a new shelter for the Chernobyl reactor, the site of the world's worst nuclear accident, officials said Monday.

Chernobyl's reactor No. 4 exploded and burned on April 26, 1986, spewing radiation over a large swath of the former Soviet Union and much of northern Europe. An area roughly half the size of Italy was contaminated, forcing the resettlement of hundreds of thousands of people and ruining some of Europe's most fertile farmland.

A protective "sarcophagus" that was hastily erected over the reactor is now crumbling, and a $1.2 billion project to replace it remains on the drawing board. Ukraine has repeatedly asked for money from the European Union and other Western sources to fund a new shelter.

More than $600 million has already been pledged by 28 donor governments.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070806/ap_on_re_eu/ukraine_chernobyl

Gosh what nightmare that was. This is really interesting.

It's still a nightmare, isn't it. It's an unfortunate permanent reminder as to how things can go very wrong.
true dat Buzz. I was just thinking about that specific time. But you are right , it is an ongoing nightmare.

It's still a nightmare, isn't it. It's an unfortunate permanent reminder as to how things can go very wrong.

Very, very wrong. All of those poor children, the other people who have to suffer the consequences of the radiation. This sarcophagus should have already been built. I wish there was a list of donor countries so that I could see what, if anything, the US is contributing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back