GA GA - Cassandra Landrum, 18, Union City, 29 Sept 1975

Richard

Reaction score
Cassandra Nadine Landrum

Missing since September 29, 1975 from Union City, Fulton County, Georgia.
Classification: Involuntary

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: August 26, 1957
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1; 100 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Small scar on her forehead
Clothing: Blue jeans and two red shirts, one short sleeved and one long. She was barefoot.
AKA: Sandra

Circumstances of Disappearance

Landrum was last seen leaving her family's home in Union City, Georgia on September 29, 1975. She intended to use a pay phone, which was a short distance from her house. Landrum was never seen or heard from again.

Her parents received anonymous phone calls after her disappearance, during which the caller informed them that Landrum had been murdered.

She has never been located.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Landrum's whereabouts, please contact:

Union City Police Department
Chief Isome
770-306-6862

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

NCIC Number: M-768525715
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Child Protection Education of America
The Doe Network: Case File 210DFGA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/210dfga.html

Bump.

This month will mark 35 years since Cassandra went missing. Come home soon.

Cassandra went missing on a Monday, 29 September 1975. Her case remains unsolved. Union City, Georgia is just south of Atlanta.

I just want to know who called her family to say that she was murdered and why. Guilty conscience?

Found this:

aper: The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution
Title: Another attempt to solve mystery

Two women hope that tests on bones found in 1980 will answer questions

about what happened to their sister.
Date: April 29, 1997

Bonded by optimism, two sisters drove to Gainesville hoping for answers to the question that has haunted them for 22 years: What happened to Sandra?

Barefoot and wearing blue jeans, 18-year-old Sandra Landrum left her Union City home at dusk, telling her mother she was going to the nearby Dairy Queen.Police said Sandra was a runaway, but her sisters, Shirley Landrum Hardcastle, now 44, of Jonesboro, and Alice Landrum Albea, 41, of Forest Park, still believe their sister would not let them wonder about her fate.

Their dogged search led them last Wednesday to Gainesville, where Hall County police told them of a "Jane Doe," a mystery that has remained unsolved since 1980.

The decomposed skeletal remains of an unidentified woman were found off I-985. Authorities determined she was about 5-foot-3 and age 18-23 at the time of death.

Sandra was about 5-foot-2 and would have been 23 in 1980.

Police will use DNA testing to try to determine if the dead woman is Sandra. The procedure will take several months and may be inconclusive.

Sandra's sisters are tracking down dental records to help police determine a match. But they have chased many bad ---and often cruel ---tips over the years.

"My first instinct is this is not my sister," said Albea, who has taken time off from her job as a mortgage processor. "But we are pursuing every lead."

The search "consumes me," said Hardcastle, a homemaker and mother of two grown children. "There are days when I can do nothing but think about Sandra."
<SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","
Hardcastle and Albea have posted hundreds of fliers bearing Sandra\'s picture. They tracked her Social Security number and credit history, which indicated no activity. In October, they consulted a psychic who told them Sandra &quot;is on the other side.&quot;

The psychic described a place near the family\'s home where she said the sisters would find Sandra\'s remains. The sisters carried shovels to the site and spent two Saturdays digging up bones the GBI later said were those of animals.

The youngest of six children, Sandra Landrum was a small-town girl who left Campbell High School in Union City without graduating and lived at home with her parents.

&quot;She was just the baby sister,&quot; Hardcastle said. &quot;I was married and had young kids and so did my sister. I don\'t think we showed her the interest after we left home.&quot;

The night Sandra disappeared, her mother was talking to Hardcastle on the telephone. Sandra wanted to make a call. Rather than wait, Sandra said she would walk to the Dairy Queen, less than a block away.

&quot;Normally I would have gotten off the phone with my mom if Sandra had to use it,&quot; Hardcastle said. &quot;That night I didn\'t. I don\'t know why.&quot;

The next day, the Landrums reported Sandra missing. Because she had just turned 18, Union City police told them, they could do nothing ---although they now say Sandra\'s file is open and active.

There was no publicity about the disappearance, but the Landrums received frequent telephone calls, some offering gruesome information about Sandra. One caller said she was chopped into pieces and left behind a Tastee-Freez in Fairburn. Police searched the area and found nothing.

Sandra\'s father died in 1988. Her 70-year-old mother supports her surviving daughters\' ongoing search, but is disabled with a muscular disease and can\'t help them.

Both sisters maintain telephone listings under their maiden name, in case Sandra ever tries to call.

Until then, all they have is a glimmering hope.

&quot;If she were injured, she could have amnesia or something,&quot; Hardcastle said.

&quot;She may not know how to contact her family. I know it\'s far-fetched. . . . But I have hope. I still do.&quot;

</div>",0]);//--></SCRIPT>
Hardcastle and Albea have posted hundreds of fliers bearing Sandra's picture. They tracked her Social Security number and credit history, which indicated no activity. In October, they consulted a psychic who told them Sandra "is on the other side."

The psychic described a place near the family's home where she said the sisters would find Sandra's remains. The sisters carried shovels to the site and spent two Saturdays digging up bones the GBI later said were those of animals.

The youngest of six children, Sandra Landrum was a small-town girl who left Campbell High School in Union City without graduating and lived at home with her parents.

"She was just the baby sister," Hardcastle said. "I was married and had young kids and so did my sister. I don't think we showed her the interest after we left home."

The night Sandra disappeared, her mother was talking to Hardcastle on the telephone. Sandra wanted to make a call. Rather than wait, Sandra said she would walk to the Dairy Queen, less than a block away.

"Normally I would have gotten off the phone with my mom if Sandra had to use it," Hardcastle said. "That night I didn't. I don't know why."

The next day, the Landrums reported Sandra missing. Because she had just turned 18, Union City police told them, they could do nothing ---although they now say Sandra's file is open and active.

There was no publicity about the disappearance, but the Landrums received frequent telephone calls, some offering gruesome information about Sandra. One caller said she was chopped into pieces and left behind a Tastee-Freez in Fairburn. Police searched the area and found nothing.

Sandra's father died in 1988. Her 70-year-old mother supports her surviving daughters' ongoing search, but is disabled with a muscular disease and can't help them.

Both sisters maintain telephone listings under their maiden name, in case Sandra ever tries to call.

Until then, all they have is a glimmering hope.

"If she were injured, she could have amnesia or something," Hardcastle said.

"She may not know how to contact her family. I know it's far-fetched. . . . But I have hope. I still do."

I'm a little confused, I think...

The article scriptgirl quoted, about how the two sisters were looking into the Hall County uid as possibly being their sister Cassandra, was dated 1997. So it likely wasn't, correct? Surely it would not have taken THAT long to make a determination.

Are you saying the NamUs case file on that Doe closed just recently, CarlK?

Are you saying the NamUs case file on that Doe closed just recently, CarlK?

I'm not sure when it was closed. But it had to have been in the last few years, because I put together my spreadsheet a few years ago, and it was open when I put it on.

GA – Cassandra Sandra Nadine Landrum , W/F, 18, Union City, Fulton County, 29 Sep 1975

Cassandra Sandra Nadine Landrum

CLandrum.jpg cassandra_nadine_landrum_2.jpg 1972.JPG

Missing From: Union City, Fulton County, Georgia

Physical/Clothing/Medical
Race:
White
Sex: Female
DOB: 08/26/57
Height: 5’1”-5’3” (61”-63”)
Weight: 100-110 lbs.
Hair: Blonde/Strawberry
Eye Color: Hazel
Clothing: Blue jeans, (2) read shirts; (1) short sleeve (1) long sleeve, no shoes
Jewelry:
Characteristics
/Medical/Scars: Small scar on forehead, tattoo on her forearm, left arm letter “J”
Transportation:
Fingerprint Status
: Not Available
Dental Status: Available
DNA Status: Available

Circumstances:
Sandra was last seen Monday evening Sept 29th leaving her home walking barefoot to go to a pay phone at the Dairy Queen that was close to her house. Sandra’s family had received anonymous phone calls after her disappearance the caller stated that Sandra had been murdered.

Sandra has never been seen nor heard from again.

Sandra’ sisters have actively searched for her over the years, posting flyers, tracking SS, credit history and even consulting a psychic that stated Sandra was on the other side.

Investigating Agencies:
Union City Police Department
5047 Union Street
Union City, GA. 30291
Tele: 770.964.2288
MP Case # 005404
Web: City of Union City, GA : Police

NCIC # M-768525715

Information Sources:
NAMUS
MP Case # 547: Missing Person Case
Case Manager: Carrie Sutherland
Tele: 817.202.5931
E-Mail: Carrie.Sutherland@unthsc.edu

The Doe Network
MP Case # 210DFGA - The Doe Network: Case File 210DFGA

The Charley Project - Cassandra Nadine Landrum – The Charley Project

News
04/29/97 – The Atlanta Journal and Constitution, Two women hope that tests on bones found in 1980 will answer questions

Cassandra Nadine Landrum
cassandra_nadine_landrum_1.jpg
cassandra_nadine_landrum_2.jpg

Landrum, circa 1975

• Missing Since 09/29/1975
  • Missing From Union City, Georgia
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/26/1957 (63)
  • Age 18 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1, 100 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A short-sleeved red shirt, a long-sleeved red shirt, blue jeans and no socks or shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, hazel eyes. Landrum has a small scar on her forehead, a tattoo of the letter J on her left arm, and another tattoo on her forearm. Her nickname is Sandra.
Details of Disappearance

Landrum was last seen leaving her family's residence on September 29, 1975 in Union City, Georgia. She was walking to a pay phone located at a Dairy Queen one half-block from her home.

Landrum has never been seen again. Authorities initially believed she left of her own accord, but now it is thought that she may have met with foul play.

Landrum's parents began receiving anonymous phone calls from an unidentified person shortly after she vanished. The caller repeatedly claimed that Landrum had been murdered. No evidence has been located concerning Landrum's whereabouts and her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Union City Police Department 770-964-1333
Source Information

Fulton County court records indicate that she (under the name Sandra Nadine Landrum) had been charged in February 4, 1975, with driving too fast for conditions and forgery in the first degree, for which she negotiated a guilty plea on March 10, 1975. There was a further charge on February 7, 1975, for burglary, but this ultimately ended in a dead docket. Both charges were non-capital felonies. I'm guessing this is what the mug shots relate to. So possibly Sandra had some unsavory friends?

The only newspaper results I found were an article detailing her sisters' search for her, reprinted in an earlier post, and court-required notices for having her declared legally dead in 1982-1983, again under the name Sandra Nadine Landrum. Per that notice, she was last seen at 5180 Westbrook Pl, Union City, GA, on September 29, 1975. Assuming house numbers haven't changed significantly, this would be her parents' home, not the Dairy Queen. There is still a Dairy Queen 0.2 miles or a 4 minute walk from the house, although the building appears to have been remodeled. "Walking" there on Google Maps shows Westbrook Pl to be a small road, that crosses railroad tracks and then Roosevelt Hwy before one would arrive at the DQ. Roosevelt Hwy now is a large road, with two lanes in each direction and a middle turn lane--I could see her being hit by a car VERY easily there. Currently, there's a gas station to one side of the DQ and an Auto Zone to the other. On the side of the highway closer to Westbrook, there is currently a bus stop by the railroad tracks. Behind the DQ is a wooded area, although this either includes or borders backyards of houses on the next road.

Sandra Landrum 1/26/83 - Newspapers.com

It is curious she left barefoot. I know people occasionally are comfortable with this as a habit, but thinking "No shoes, no shirt,no service"--although perhaps in 1975 this would not have factored in? And perhaps the pay phone was outside so no one would have cared?

I also wondered why she might wear layered shirts and no shoes--i.e. I know Georgia is almost always warmer than New England, for example, but late September, in the evening, it sounds as though temps were cool? Again, why barefoot? And especially, why would you run away without shoes? That seems a very odd theory on behalf of the police.

It is curious she left barefoot. I know people occasionally are comfortable with this as a habit, but thinking "No shoes, no shirt,no service"--although perhaps in 1975 this would not have factored in? And perhaps the pay phone was outside so no one would have cared?

Lots of people (especially teenagers) went around barefoot in the 1970s.

I also wondered why she might wear layered shirts and no shoes--i.e. I know Georgia is almost always warmer than New England, for example, but late September, in the evening, it sounds as though temps were cool? Again, why barefoot? And especially, why would you run away without shoes? That seems a very odd theory on behalf of the police.

The temperature probably was not cool. Late September in the deep South still sees temperatures in the 90s.

Edit: I just checked. Temperatures for that day at Atlanta Hartsfield airport were high of around 80 and low of around 60.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back