1237 users online (273 members and 964 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Man Bitten By Decapitated Head Of A Rattlesnake

PROSSER, Wash. — A man was bitten by the decapitated head of a rattlesnake on his property near Prosser.
    Danny Anderson, 53, and his son saw the five-foot snake Monday evening while feeding horses. They pinned it with a pipe and cut off its head with a shovel.
    When Anderson reached down to pick it up he said the snake head twisted around and bit his index finger. He said if felt like his hand was in a fire pit.
    In the 10 minutes it took to reach Prosser Memorial Hospital the venom spread through his body and his tongue had already started to swell. He was treated with shots at the hospital and at Kadlec Medical Center in Richland.
    State Fish and Wildlife Department biologist Mike Livingston said it's possible the snake had the heat-sensing ability to make one last attack or it may have been a reflex. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292781,00.html

Woah thats crazy!

Wow! That is really freaky! Sounds like the snake actually still had brain activity or whatever snakes have going on in the few seconds after the rest of the body was severed.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

I grew up near the Everglades with plenty of snakes. I distinctly remember being told not to pick up a newly killed snake because something like this might happen.

I honestly thought it was common knowledge.

Happened out in OK during a rattlesnake roundup and the man died....dumbass!

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by calus_3 View Post
    Happened out in OK during a rattlesnake roundup and the man died....dumbass!

Cal
    "Hey, Bubba! Look here at what I can do!", the last words spoken by a few Okie Rednecks. (I am an Okie and can say this...so NO nasty letters please!) ROFLMAO
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I grew up near the Everglades with plenty of snakes. I distinctly remember being told not to pick up a newly killed snake because something like this might happen.

That's adorable! Only because it's something I'd never heard before....

A similar situation for me - I grew up in the ocean and was trained in rip tides from the time I was a young child and it took me years of watching/hearing/reading about unfamiliar people drowning in the darned things before I realized "Hey - everyone doesn't know what to do in a rip tide."
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

I had heard this before too, but I always thought it was old wives tale.

north east florida here hun and we all know it.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    north east florida here hun and we all know it.
    I lived in Tallahassee for a couple of years and heard it there, too.

Maybe we're not supposed to tell the Yankees. Stonewall's Revenge!

(When I heard about this, snakes were compared to chickens with their heads cut off. The idea was that snakes' heads continue to respond via reflex after the snake is technically dead; but I don't know if this is true.)

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    That's adorable! Only because it's something I'd never heard before....

A similar situation for me - I grew up in the ocean and was trained in rip tides from the time I was a young child and it took me years of watching/hearing/reading about unfamiliar people drowning in the darned things before I realized "Hey - everyone doesn't know what to do in a rip tide."
    I, too, grew up swimming in the ocean. (Hey, it was South Fla. All we had was sea and swamp.)

But there's a big difference between "knowing" what to do and actually putting it into practice. I've been in a riptide with less experienced ocean swimmers and they were completely baffled, even though they could quote the advice about swimming with the tide, etc.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Why not..... chickens still flop around for awhile when you chop their heads off.....

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    Why not..... chickens still flop around for awhile when you chop their heads off.....
    Don't even get me started on that! Suffice to say, chickens are so stupid, it isn't surprising they function without their pea brains.

Cockroaches can live without their heads but eventually they die of starvation.

Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    Cockroaches can live without their heads but eventually they die of starvation.
    Is this another Aussie slam against the fine people of New Zealand?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast