Man Bitten By Decapitated Head Of A Rattlesnake

White Rain

Reaction score
PROSSER, Wash. — A man was bitten by the decapitated head of a rattlesnake on his property near Prosser.
Danny Anderson, 53, and his son saw the five-foot snake Monday evening while feeding horses. They pinned it with a pipe and cut off its head with a shovel.
When Anderson reached down to pick it up he said the snake head twisted around and bit his index finger. He said if felt like his hand was in a fire pit.
In the 10 minutes it took to reach Prosser Memorial Hospital the venom spread through his body and his tongue had already started to swell. He was treated with shots at the hospital and at Kadlec Medical Center in Richland.
State Fish and Wildlife Department biologist Mike Livingston said it's possible the snake had the heat-sensing ability to make one last attack or it may have been a reflex. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292781,00.html

Wow! That is really freaky! Sounds like the snake actually still had brain activity or whatever snakes have going on in the few seconds after the rest of the body was severed.

I grew up near the Everglades with plenty of snakes. I distinctly remember being told not to pick up a newly killed snake because something like this might happen.

I honestly thought it was common knowledge.

Happened out in OK during a rattlesnake roundup and the man died....dumbass! :D

Cal

Happened out in OK during a rattlesnake roundup and the man died....dumbass! :D

Cal
"Hey, Bubba! Look here at what I can do!", the last words spoken by a few Okie Rednecks. (I am an Okie and can say this...so NO nasty letters please!) ROFLMAO

I grew up near the Everglades with plenty of snakes. I distinctly remember being told not to pick up a newly killed snake because something like this might happen.

That's adorable! ;) Only because it's something I'd never heard before....

A similar situation for me - I grew up in the ocean and was trained in rip tides from the time I was a young child and it took me years of watching/hearing/reading about unfamiliar people drowning in the darned things before I realized "Hey - everyone doesn't know what to do in a rip tide."

I had heard this before too, but I always thought it was old wives tale.

north east florida here hun and we all know it.

north east florida here hun and we all know it.

I lived in Tallahassee for a couple of years and heard it there, too.

Maybe we're not supposed to tell the Yankees. Stonewall's Revenge!

(When I heard about this, snakes were compared to chickens with their heads cut off. The idea was that snakes' heads continue to respond via reflex after the snake is technically dead; but I don't know if this is true.)

That's adorable! ;) Only because it's something I'd never heard before....

A similar situation for me - I grew up in the ocean and was trained in rip tides from the time I was a young child and it took me years of watching/hearing/reading about unfamiliar people drowning in the darned things before I realized "Hey - everyone doesn't know what to do in a rip tide."

I, too, grew up swimming in the ocean. (Hey, it was South Fla. All we had was sea and swamp.)

But there's a big difference between "knowing" what to do and actually putting it into practice. I've been in a riptide with less experienced ocean swimmers and they were completely baffled, even though they could quote the advice about swimming with the tide, etc.

Why not..... chickens still flop around for awhile when you chop their heads off.....

Why not..... chickens still flop around for awhile when you chop their heads off.....

Don't even get me started on that! Suffice to say, chickens are so stupid, it isn't surprising they function without their pea brains.

Cockroaches can live without their heads but eventually they die of starvation.

Is this another Aussie slam against the fine people of New Zealand?

Cockroaches are infamous for their tenacity, and are often cited as the most likely survivors of a nuclear war. Some even claim that they can live without their heads. It turns out that these armchair exterminators (and their professional brethren) are right. Headless roaches are capable of living for weeks.

To understand why cockroaches—and many other insects—can survive decapitation, it helps to understand why humans cannot, explains physiologist and biochemist Joseph Kunkel at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, who studies cockroach development. First off, decapitation in humans results in blood loss and a drop in blood pressure hampering transport of oxygen and nutrition to vital tissues. "You'd bleed to death," Kunkel notes.

Cockroaches are infamous for their tenacity, and are often cited as the most likely survivors of a nuclear war. Some even claim that they can live without their heads. It turns out that these armchair exterminators (and their professional brethren) are right. Headless roaches are capable of living for weeks.

To understand why cockroaches—and many other insects—can survive decapitation, it helps to understand why humans cannot, explains physiologist and biochemist Joseph Kunkel at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, who studies cockroach development. First off, decapitation in humans results in blood loss and a drop in blood pressure hampering transport of oxygen and nutrition to vital tissues. "You'd bleed to death," Kunkel notes.

An Amherst professor is seriously explaining why humans can't live without their heads?

That's some funny chit! :dance:

An Amherst professor is seriously explaining why humans can't live without their heads?

That's some funny chit! :dance:
Well I guess he thinks that all of us without PHD's are dumb azzes! The fact that roaches can live without heads is GROSS!!!!!! I HATE roaches...especially tree roaches(the ones that are HUGE and fly) EWWWW!:eek:

Well I guess he thinks that all of us without PHD's are dumb azzes! The fact that roaches can live without heads is GROSS!!!!!! I HATE roaches...especially tree roaches(the ones that are HUGE and fly) EWWWW!:eek:

Tree roaches? I didn't know that term. We called them "Palmetto bugs" in Florida, but it occurs to me now, of course, that palmetto is a kind of tree.

I wasn't knocking your post. But "first, of course, you'd bleed to death" cracked me up. I'm sure the account continues: "And even if you didn't bleed out, you wouldn't be able to see to tie your shoes."

. I'm sure the account continues: "And even if you didn't bleed out, you wouldn't be able to see to tie your shoes."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I thought it was funny too. I didn't think you were knocking my post.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back