.exe function(s) not working. Yikes!

IdahoMom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My computer has gone from bad to worse the last couple days (I'm posting this from my son's computer).

It was running incredibly slow, so I did what I usually do and ran spybot, cleared cookies, etc. Things ran slower and slower. Now, I can't log onto internet explorer and I can't run anything that requires the .exe extension.

I tried doing a system restore and I couldn't get any bolded dates to appear. Now, system restore won't even pop up when I click on it. HELP!:eek:

Sounds like you need to reformat .... Maybe a virus?

If you can back up your files then do so.
Then dig out the disks that came with your PC.

The microsoft knowledge data base has an article about how to reformat and most likely the documents that came with your computer contains the info as well or their website does.
What kind of computer do you have?

My computer has gone from bad to worse the last couple days (I'm posting this from my son's computer).

It was running incredibly slow, so I did what I usually do and ran spybot, cleared cookies, etc. Things ran slower and slower. Now, I can't log onto internet explorer and I can't run anything that requires the .exe extension.

I tried doing a system restore and I couldn't get any bolded dates to appear. Now, system restore won't even pop up when I click on it. HELP!:eek:

It sounds like your computer's file associations are corrupt. I'm going to assume you're running Windows XP and if that's a correct assumption you can see the .exe fix HERE, amongst others.

If that fix works you should make sure your anti-virus and anti-spyware tools are current releases with upto-date definitions.

Also defrag your puter & make sure to delete temporary files. You should probably run chkdsk too to check your hard drive for errors.

Thanks Blaize! That's a HUGE help!

The only problem- I can't get IE to come up in order to download the .exe fix from that site...

I wish I could burn a CD of the fix and load it that way.

Amraann- my 'puter is just an emachine I bought at Costco a few years ago...it's worked great for the money~ I'm running Windows XP on it.

Then it came with the discs to fix it ...
Although some computers require you create those disks yourself..
You may be able to copy them using your sons computer or order them from the Emachine site.

Try starting in Safe Mode (hold the F8 key upon starting) The option giving you a choice how to start windows will appear I believe SafeMode is #5 on the list.
From there see if you can follow Blaize's directions.

Here is a link about repairing or reformatting Windows XP...
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I suggest reading it all before proceeding so that you know what to expect.

Good luck!!

Also Office Depot has a new Computer on sale for 299$
It looked like it had a decent HD and memory :)

You could download the fix on your son's puter and save it to a cd & then if you can access the cd on your own puter you could just copy the fix over to your desktop.

But for the moment try starting in safe mode as Amraann suggested. If you can get to the desktop in safe mode open my computer and right click on your C: drive, select properties. Then from the tabbed window that pops up select tools then under error checking select Check Now, this will run chkdsk for you on next reboot.

If you can't get to the tools tab using the method above try this one. Go to start and then click RUN. When the Run dialogue box opens type in cmd and when the command prompt opens you can type in these commands to run chkdsk.

Type in "chkdsk c: /f /r" without the inverted commas and press the enter key.

It will probably require you to restart your computer for chkdsk to run. The switch /f tells chkdsk to fix any errors it locates and the /r switch tells it to locate any bad sectors and recover the information if possible. It might take over an hour for chkdsk over an hour to complete the task so be patient.

Thanks Blaize and Amraann for your help!

I haven't burned the CD yet- I've been running with work, etc., but I'll do it tomorrow morning. I really don't want to take my puter back to factory settings. :(

Thanks again you two! :)

Thanks Blaize and Amraann for your help!

I haven't burned the CD yet- I've been running with work, etc., but I'll do it tomorrow morning. I really don't want to take my puter back to factory settings. :(

Thanks again you two! :)

Your welcome!! But keep in mind ..factory settings are like a new PC!!!
SO do not be to upset if you have to:) :blowkiss:

Okay ladies...nothing worked. I think my 'puter was completely fried! I bought a new one. Not the one I really, really want...but it's still great nonetheless! HP Pavilion...it'll work just fine!

I'm enjoying Windows Vista! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back