756 users online (82 members and 674 guests)  

Websleuths News

TX - Christian Boot Camp Officials Accused Of Dragging Teen Behind Van

BANQUETE, Texas — Arrest warrants have been issued for two officials at a Christian boot camp accused of dragging a 15-year-old girl behind a van after she fell behind the group during a morning run, authorities said.
    Charles Eugene Flowers and Stephanie Bassitt of San Antonio-based Love Demonstrated Ministries, a 32-day boot camp, are facing aggravated assault charges for the alleged June 12 incident.
    The two were accused of tying the girl to the van with a rope then dragging her, according to an arrest affidavit filed Wednesday by the Nueces County Sheriff's Department. Arrest affidavits for Flowers and Bassitt list a $100,000 bond.
    A call to Love Demonstrated Ministries was not immediately returned Friday. No listing was found for Bassitt. An answering machine at a listing for Flowers cut off during an attempt to leave a message Friday.
    Flowers, the camp's director, allegedly ordered Bassitt to run alongside the girl after she fell behind, the affidavit said. When the girl stopped running, Bassitt allegedly yelled at her and pinned her to the ground while Flowers tied the rope to her, according to the affidavit. more at link
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292910,00.html

Now that oughta make Jesus smile....

Love Demonstrated Ministries???

Yeah sounds like they are demonstrating "love"

Ah, so he's a "reverend".

http://www.safb.org/Neighborhood%20A...20Page%202.htm

Love Demonstrated Ministries provides the Faith-Based Component for the San Antonio Young Offender Program, which includes an intensive life skills training program focused on teamwork, leadership, responsibility, self-discipline, and respect for oneself and their family. The "trainees" also complete daily physical training and community service projects.

More about the *reverend* (pic too):
    http://www.saworship.com/article-pag...ex.php&ID=1864

As commandant of the camp, Flowers begins the day with devotions and inspections, as well as leading a staff of a dozen drill instructors, six males and six females. He interacts with cadets, breaking down their barriers while exhorting them to Christ's standards.

(There's a lot more at the link.)

1998 article about his boot camp:
    http://www.texnews.com/1998/religion/bootcamp0809.html

"His story" (appendix 4, scroll down):
    http://www.rwjf.org/reports/grr/043102.htm

(not about this case)

Only in America could they have Christian boot camp- really, dont you guys get sick of all the Fundies in your country- that would drive me insane, thank god I live in just a partially Christianised country

Quote Originally Posted by narlacat View Post
    Only in America could they have Christian boot camp- really, dont you guys get sick of all the Fundies in your country- that would drive me insane, thank god I live in just a partially Christianised country
    Before the flames begin, Narla, I must agree that we do have some really bizarre readings of the Gospels on these shores.

But while it must seem to outsiders that these groups typify American Christianity thanks to the disproportionate media attention they get, they are still a minority among American Christians. An influential minority, unfortunately, but hardly typical of Americans of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Before the flames begin, Narla, I must agree that we do have some really bizarre readings of the Gospels on these shores.

But while it must seem to outsiders that these groups typify American Christianity thanks to the disproportionate media attention they get, they are still a minority among American Christians. An influential minority, unfortunately, but hardly typical of Americans of faith.
    Thank you, Nova. I hate being lumped in with nutjobs like "Rev" Charles Flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    Thank you, Nova. I hate being lumped in with nutjobs like "Rev" Charles Flowers.

Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post

Me too!

You really like to stir the pot, huh, Narla!?!

We DO have some nutjobs over here, but they come in all flavors: of any and all religious varities and of any and all non-religious varities.

It is one of our greatest strengths as a nation that we allow religious freedom, even if that occasionally releases a nutjob. The fundementalist fringe is just that, it's a fringe. They are there, but they are not huge in number.

It is a great blessing not to live in a TRULY fundamentalist country, like Iran for instance, where women are beaten to death, tied to a whipping post, for the terrible crime of being raped. We are BOTH so lucky that our governments stay out of the religious arena, aren't we?

Having said all that, this guy's "religion" is not his problem. His cruelty and criminality IS. He's going to be one of those on judgement day who will hear the words "You never knew me."

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    LOL Your a riot Narlacat, so good at getting a reaction outta people

Nutcase religion aside, what these camp employees were demonstrating was anything but love. They're lucky the girl didn't die.