1436 users online (317 members and 1119 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Lightbulb Jane/John Doe Case Nicknames Idea

This is an idea I had today and I wanted to share it with everyone here and my idea was is that members here can give a nickname to a John/Jane Doe case (local or international) so that they have a name to refer to other than John/Jane Doe or Unidentified Male/Female/Victim (Victim is unknown gender only!!). This is an optional idea

Sounds like a good idea to me, as long as everyone can agree on a name. They would be easier to keep track of and remember which is which.

I always thought "Dana" was a good name for 23UFCA because of where she was located. For some reason I haven't been able to picture her with another nickname

I can tell you that in anthropology, we do not give nicknames to remains out of respect for them. Maybe that is why a lot of the cases do not have nicknames?

Quote Originally Posted by anthrobones View Post
    I can tell you that in anthropology, we do not give nicknames to remains out of respect for them. Maybe that is why a lot of the cases do not have nicknames?
    LE has given names to some cases that they have- such as 266UMAR known as "Rocky" by LE and 67UFFL known as "Ginger" by LE

Doe nicknames...

Quote Originally Posted by outofthedark View Post
    This is an idea I had today and I wanted to share it with everyone here and my idea was is that members here can give a nickname to a John/Jane Doe case (local or international) so that they have a name to refer to other than John/Jane Doe or Unidentified Male/Female/Victim (Victim is unknown gender only!!). This is an optional idea
    This is done sometimes by LE, and sometimes by members of this and other boards, simply as a way to refer to a particular unidentified person. For instance, I will sometimes title a post with a name like "Greene County Jane Doe", because that is where she was found.

If there is already a nickname in use by LE that I know of, I might title my post "Glen Burnie Oscar Doe", combining the location with LE's nickname.

I also include the age, city, and state in my post titles, along with "missing", "murdered", etc to indicate the nature of the case.

Generally, I do not make up nicknames for the title, but I may refer in a post to a John/Jane Doe as "Cali" or to a suspect as "TRM", or some other nickname/acronym that has come into general usage during discussions on these boards.

I certainly mean no disrespect to the deceased or his/her family in doing this.

You are right, however, in that it probably helps readers and posters on these boards remember a certain case - especially when searching for it again.

I forgot about Oscar Doe

Hot Case 383 was nicknamed "April Hope" by New York LE