993 users online (205 members and 788 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Woman, 19, Left 8 Kids In Hot Van While Shopping

INDIANAPOLIS -- Police said a Greenfield woman faces charges of neglect of a dependent after she left eight children in a van as she shopped for groceries on Indianapolis' east side.

Indianapolis police said Amy L. Dodson, 19, went into the Wal-Mart store in the 10000 block of E. Washington Street sometime before 8 p.m. Thursday, one of the hottest days of the year.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/13865178/detail.html
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura View Post
    INDIANAPOLIS -- Police said a Greenfield woman faces charges of neglect of a dependent after she left eight children in a van as she shopped for groceries on Indianapolis' east side.

Indianapolis police said Amy L. Dodson, 19, went into the Wal-Mart store in the 10000 block of E. Washington Street sometime before 8 p.m. Thursday, one of the hottest days of the year.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/13865178/detail.html
    Oh, gee, y'all are gonna hate me, I just know it.

I'm on her side. EIGHT children for a quick shopping trip! She was in and out of the store in 26 minutes, it was only 86 degrees outside and it was evening so the temperature was DROPPING not rising.....Honestly, I think she is very young, and made a mistake (one which I may have made if I had been in her situation) and no one was harmed. She was ensuring that the children had food and drinks, I just don't see that she neglected anybody.

Poor judgement on this young womans part for sure.

The oldest was 9? I think that's too young to be responsible for 7 others including a 5 mos old.....

Too bad she didn't do her shopping prior to taking in all those children, IMO.

kgeaux, no hate from me.

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post
    Oh, gee, y'all are gonna hate me, I just know it.

I'm on her side. EIGHT children for a quick shopping trip! She was in and out of the store in 26 minutes, it was only 86 degrees outside and it was evening so the temperature was DROPPING not rising.....Honestly, I think she is very young, and made a mistake (one which I may have made if I had been in her situation) and no one was harmed. She was ensuring that the children had food and drinks, I just don't see that she neglected anybody.
    No one would hate you Kgeaux.
    But I do disagree. I wouldn't leave 8 kids in a car alone for 26 minutes under any circumstances..for a whole host of reasons.
    That's a long long time and 9 isn't old enough to supervise that many kids effectively.

I'd like to question her loving relatives that thought she would be ok taking care of her own 5 mos old baby AND 7 other children. What's up with that?!

Here's her myspace. Her sisters are friends 'Frankie' and 'Misty'. Cute layout.
    http://www.myspace.com/HblockHottie

My question is.... who the hell left EIGHT children with a 19 YO???

Although I would never leave a child in a car I can empathize with a 19 yo who thought it was ok.
    If any charges are brought against anyone it should be the parents of these children.

They obviously left her in the position to have a need to go to the grocery store with 8 children!!
    kgeaux, I agree with you!!
    And am somewhat furious that the parents of these children left her to have to go buy food and drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    My question is.... who the hell left EIGHT children with a 19 YO???

Although I would never leave a child in a car I can empathize with a 19 yo who thought it was ok.
    If any charges are brought against anyone it should be the parents of these children.

They obviously left her in the position to have a need to go to the grocery store with 8 children!!
    kgeaux, I agree with you!!
    And am somewhat furious that the parents of these children left her to have to go buy food and drinks.
    I completely agree with you. I can't imagine taking care of 8 kids aged 9 and younger, let alone trying to take them all into the store!!
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

I am pretty certain I could have handled 8 children at 19. Maybe because I came from a big family amd didn't really know any other way. I would have known better than to leave them in the car alone.
    Last edited by JBean; 08-12-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura View Post
    I completely agree with you. I can't imagine taking care of 8 kids aged 9 and younger, let alone trying to take them all into the store!!
    I am fairly pissed about this as when I was 16 I babysat this many children ages 6months to 11.
    Looking back as a mom now... I cannot contemplate why any parent would do this..
    I guess its better then leaving them alone or the other things that could happen...
    But at 16 or even 19 I probably needed a babysitter for me!!

No excuses! She didn't take any of them in with her because it was too hard on her. It was all about HER. Any number of things could have happened and one child even at 9 is too young to be in the car alone all that time. There's no excuses and I don't feel sympathy that she was nailed. The issue of the heat is just one of the issues here. Too many kids anyway for them all to have been buckled up on the road.

I think she made a mistake as well...probably didnt think it would take more then just a few minutes to run in and out and it ended up taking 26 minutes....
    This was a lack in judgement...as parents we have ALL made dumb mistakes somewhere in time where our kids are concerned...its part of learning to be a better parent....

she went in some time before 8. she was back at 8:26. best guess was about 30 mins the kids are alone in a car. what can happen in 30 min? well it was long enough for a decent person to notice the kids alone in the car and call the police then for the police to get there and wait 6 more min on her. had the person who saw the kids been evil instead of decent it could have been a horrible crime on the news. simple luck. good or bad. good luck a good person saw it called the cops. bad luck some 1 like John Evander Couey saw it and we have at least 1 dead kid.
    she is 19 and she was stupid and she was lucky. you dont lock her up for life but you do punish her.

I showed my hubby her pic and asked him how he thought she was...He guessed about 11. She looks so young!
    Poor judgement and could have had terrible consequences, but not criminal, IMO.
    Some 19yr olds might have made a better choice, but I think a lot of kids her age might do the same thing.
    I wouldn't have left my small children with ANYONE who was caring for such a young baby and that many other children no matter how responsible they were. My mother in law had a home daycare when my youngest was born and I really made her mad because I didn't leave my daughter there when she had the other kids there. She kept 8-12 at a time and she was very conciencious, but it only takes a second or two when you are distracted for disaster to happen!

Susan