1529 users online (298 members and 1231 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ice190 View Post
    That's true. But he has been linked to South Dakota, California, and possibly Texas, including Ohio that is quite a circuitous route. He may have worked with or around the navy. He also had "expensive camera lenses," which I find intriguing.

So it's still probably possible that he escaped Ohio and lived out of state for a number of years. Especially if he was one of the men who escaped in the 50s. Also depending on the location in the state, Chillicothe is a ways from Cleveland and Eastlake.
    So far, I haven't been able to find a list of wanted fugitives/escapees from California (which I would like to find for many cases here and, ideally, a historical list and not just the recently wanted) and South Dakota. The only list that I have found for Texas (so far) doesn't seem to go back very far -- http://www.dps.texas.gov/Texas10Most...illWanted.aspx

The recent (last year) article from the Plain Dealer/Cleveland.com (unsure if it's been posted here) mention that while investigators have ruled many people out, there are still some fugitives from Ohio and another state that they have been unable to so far.
    ~~~~~~~Where is Eetu Vainonen? Where is Beverly Potts? Who were the Cleveland Torso Victims? Who is Strongsville Jane Doe?~~~~~~~

From Okiegranny's post:
    Elliott and his office have resurrected the case of a man who appeared to be a paradox: a simpleton with a brilliant mind who lived as a pauper but had a modest bank account. All of it was built on a foundation of fiction.

"This is like chasing a ghost,'' Elliott said. "He lived the perfect life of someone on the run. He had no friends. He never got in trouble. He just lived so very quietly. He knew exactly what he was doing''...

Elliott has spent six months examining the case, following up on a detailed investigation by Eastlake police detectives. He has looked into links involving handfuls of fugitives from New Hampshire to California. He has examined long shots, such as the Zodiac Killer, who terrified San Francisco in the 1960s and 1970s, and inmates who escaped from Alcatraz. He hasn't ruled out the Eastlake man in those cases, but he has in others, including fugitives in Oklahoma and Ohio.
    This case is close to home. Was a bummer when he turned out not to be Mr. Dial. The odd thing is he really looks like the men on one branch of my family, and there's one who I can't find any trace of. Unfortunately this man would have had to be 100 at death to be that family member.

Anglin appears to have a squared skull, and his mouth seems too narrow. He also has more of flared nostrils. But other than that, the proportions all seem good, especially the ear shape!

I find it satisfying to theorize he's DB Cooper or the Zodiac.
    BBM

I knew Elliot growing up, and his father, who was also a U.S. Marshall. Elliot Sr. once told my dad that if there was one case he wished he could have solved it would have been DB Cooper. I'm not saying I think it is Cooper, but there sure would be some sweet irony if it was and Elliot Jr. was the one who caught him!

You know what, I think I'm dyslexic or developed a reading comprehension problem.

That would be sweet!

The biggest question about John is how he acquired his money. While he did live frugally and owned next to nothing, was it enough to have that much working in a temp service? Would he have gotten that from a retirement plan? Or... did he jump from a plane with it?
    ~~~~~~~Where is Eetu Vainonen? Where is Beverly Potts? Who were the Cleveland Torso Victims? Who is Strongsville Jane Doe?~~~~~~~

While he did live frugally and owned next to nothing, was it enough to have that much working in a temp service?
    He lived and worked under that identity for roughly 25 years.

As an electrical technician or engineer, he could reasonably have earned the equivalent of $50k in today's dollars. Even if his income was up and down, a frugal lifestyle might mean $800 in rent, $500 for living expenses, and a couple of hundred for a truck and other big purchases. So if he was taking home in today's terms $3,000 to $3,500 per month, he could have saved nearly half his earnings... $82k over 24 years is $284 per month on average, even ignoring interest, so easily done for a single person with no ties, a moderate income and a reasonable understanding of finance - and especially if he didn't trust a retirement plan because his SSN was bogus - so no 401(k) contributions coming out of his pay, and an even greater imperative to save.

Quote Originally Posted by jjohnston0827 View Post
    That's fantastic! Took awhile, but nice to see there's already a rule out.

Researching other cases and I see they updated namus and doenetwork with more photos. So, I found this guy who I think is pretty dead on for the new age regression photo. Can anyone do a side by side?

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/top...rlich.jpg/view

Quote Originally Posted by Owutatangledweb View Post
    Researching other cases and I see they updated namus and doenetwork with more photos. So, I found this guy who I think is pretty dead on for the new age regression photo. Can anyone do a side by side?

Found this article on Wahlrichj https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...E4onUrzbfGR-dw

Had a tattoo of a heart with name Cindy, thought to be paranoid schizophrenic. Was in the army and may have been a student pilot. Charged with child molestation, kidnapping, assault, interstate fleeing.

IMO I don't think this guy could have lived like Chandler without issues for that long, unless he was heavily medicated. I don't recall Chandler having any markings, amongst scars that Alson has. He does look very similar though.

Interesting article about Ringrose. He was on FBI most wanted list, served his time, and then disappeared again. ... In a yellow submarine. He has a science background doing experiments. I think his nose and eyes and height are close, maybe even the ears.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,8747381&hl=en

http://www.truecrimereport.com/FBI-2...rtRingrose.jpg

I'm not sure about the likeness on this guy, but he had been around the Navy and with prison credit for good time, could have been out by the time the chandler false ID was obtained. He also seemed to want to settle into a life before he was picked up on the wanted poster, assuming he divorced while in prison?

George ben Edmonson. For some reason I can't paste my links. Will try to paste separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Owutatangledweb View Post

I agree he looks dead on for the age regression, but Alson Wahrlich appears to be deceased.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...PIpi=106205179

Frank Freshwater found alive in Melbourne, FL

That's odd, I thought the last post was about Raymond Wilson. He looks like a match. Shirley Campbell, Frank Freshwater, Ralph Hill as well all look similar. If he were an escapee, I don't think finger prints would matter in the 60s or even 70s, they'd probably need to know exactly who they wanted to compare, right?
    We can rule out Frank Freshwater -- he's been found alive in Melbourne, FL.

frankfreshwater1959.jpgfrankfreshwater2015.jpg

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...505-story.html

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/ne...1959/26916305/

It sounds like he was living on the other end of town (Eau Gaille) from where Mr. Ambercat and I were living when we were in Melbourne and I don't think we ever ran into him. Honestly, I seriously doubt that I would have recognized him.

Clarksville, Indiana/Louisville, KY Metro area
    Let me get some opinions on this. I've always been completely fascinated with these two cases, but it never occurred to me to compare them with each other. Let me begin by saying that I have always favored a mob connection to the Tammen disappearance. He was a musician, held a musician's union membership and both his home town and the area around southwest OH and northern KY (especially Newport, KY) were areas where the mob was making major inroads at that time. As a musician playing gigs around his home town and around SW Ohio, he could have easily come in contact with that element or have seen something he shouldn't have seen, or even gotten a glimpse of a lifestyle that ultimately held some appeal for him. I always felt that he went to the coroner for the blood type test because he was worried that something might happen to him and he wanted his blood type in the hands of the county coroner, just in case. It could have been fear, because of something he knew that he should not have known, or it could have been because he was contemplating a different life and recognized the inherent dangers that came with it.

There was a great deal of talk about the investigation of Tammen's disappearance being totally FUBAR'ed by the police. There was the housing director of MU who said he was certain he saw Tammen in NYC in the company of two other men and that Tammen was making extended, but expressionless eye contact with him at the restaurant. This gentleman also said he reported the sighting to an MU official who never passed it on to the authorities. I've also heard murmurs that, initially, MU tried to keep the disappearance hushed up. That came from one of Tammen's house mates. An investigator questioned why the FBI jumped in on the investigation of his disappearance. A second investigator said there were rumors that he could not get in to.

“Some suggest he was killed, some suggest his involvement with the government and other suggestions — I can’t really get into that,” Smith said.

Now, all that being said, here are some correspondences between the two: Very close in age, the height and weight works, check out the squared chin, thin lips, the shape of the brows, shape of the hairline, cheek bone structure, hair color (both were brown). Even though Chandler's driver's license says his eye color was gray, in all the pics of him currently posted, they look quite brown, as was Tammen's. Now the one thing about Chandler that has always looked bizarre to me was his nose. He has an extremely wide septum (the tissue and cartilage that divides the nostrils). I question whether the man had a nose job or nose fracture(s) in the past. Tammen was on the wrestling team. They believe Chandler was connected to the Navy. Tammen was in the Navy ROTC. Tammen had been a business major at the time of his disappearance. Chandler dabbled in stocks and bonds, which I find a bit unusual given that everyone around him took him for a simpleton with a gift for engineering. Chandler had a connection to California and, according to him, he lived in Florida at one time. He says on his apartment application that he has a brother in Colorado and a sister in Ohio. Tammen's father moved to Florida after his mother died, his brother relocated to California, and his sister remained in Ohio. I thought I had seen a reference to one of his brothers being in Colorado at one time, but now I can't find it. I'm not sure when Tammen's last brother passed away, but the sister is the only surviving member of his immediate family. Is it possible that he wanted to be near family but not close enough to endanger them or have them find out he was still alive? His sister is in Ohio, and that is where Chandler finally died. I believe that, by that time, she was already the only surviving member of the Tammen brood. Chandler settles in Eastlake, which is only 27 miles from Tammen's childhood home of Maple Heights.

Of course, even this would be just part of the story. If they are one and the same, he was living a very different life between '53 and '77 or '78 when he decided he wanted things to get a lot quieter in his life.

Oh, and when Chandler is invited to a costume party that no one thought he would attend, he shows up decked to the nines as a gangster.

Ronald H. Tammen, Jr.
    John Doe known as Joseph Newton Chandler III
    ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~! ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story..."
    - Desiderata, Max Erhmann, 1927

"Lady O'Leary was F R A M E D!!"
    - Kentuckiana, 2015
    ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~ ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast