Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Police dog dies after being left in hot care by officer

Police dog dies after being left in hot care by officer

This is absolutely ridiculous. I met this officer and dog last year at a community event. I remember him telling me the breed of dog which was a little unusual so I think this is the same dog. I hope this officer loses his job.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/c...r-deaddog.html
    RIP Liana Sandoval, Kelsey Briggs, and Baby P.

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocgirl View Post
    This is absolutely ridiculous. I met this officer and dog last year at a community event. I remember him telling me the breed of dog which was a little unusual so I think this is the same dog. I hope this officer loses his job.

I think the officer should go to jail. These dogs are treated just like human police officers. Therefore, the person who cares for them should be treated like a parent that leaves their child to die in a hot car.

I can't imagine what this jackbutt was thinking. I make sure I water my boys numerous times daily. It has been 95+ here for days. They need cool water and shade. I feel bad putting them in their nice, shaded pen with lots of fresh water and food when I leave. There is no way I could leave them in a hot vehicle.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one. This one is mine.

Our new dogs (Highway Patrol) that are being trained, are left in their SUV's - but the engine is running, the hood is up (I suppose to let heat out) and they have monsterously huge fans in the windows.

I wonder what the officer will be charged with. I know our dogs are considered police officers - they get a paycheck, if you hit one, the charge is the same as assulting a police officer. Since it's not normally that leaving a partner officer in a car kills them, I don't know what the charge would be.

How embarassing and sad for him - these are obviously not acts of evil people when something like this happens.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard View Post
    Our new dogs (Highway Patrol) that are being trained, are left in their SUV's - but the engine is running, the hood is up (I suppose to let heat out) and they have monsterously huge fans in the windows.

I wonder what the officer will be charged with. I know our dogs are considered police officers - they get a paycheck, if you hit one, the charge is the same as assulting a police officer. Since it's not normally that leaving a partner officer in a car kills them, I don't know what the charge would be.

How embarassing and sad for him - these are obviously not acts of evil people when something like this happens.
    Agree 100%. This is very sad and I am sure the officer feels horrible.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

I'm sure these police dogs are treated like humans and such, but the fact of the matter is, they are not.

They cannot speak up if they are locked in a car with no ventilation. They cannot open car doors or roll down windows. And they can't just roam around outside while the officer is doing something else.

The officer's train with these dogs from when they are puppies. I'm sure he is feeling an immense amount of grief and embarassment. I'm also sure he has learned his lesson and if he gets to keep his job he'll never repeat that mistake.

Edit: Just out of curiosity I googled this. Very interesting results: "weight activated backseat alarm sensor"

I was kind of trying to make a point. The officer made a mistake. It was an accident. Other humans have made the same mistakes and people want them to be imprisoned for life.

I do mean every word of this:

"I can't imagine what this jackbutt was thinking. I make sure I water my boys numerous times daily. It has been 95+ here for days. They need cool water and shade. I feel bad putting them in their nice, shaded pen with lots of fresh water and food when I leave. There is no way I could leave them in a hot vehicle. "

Oh this is SO sad!!! There is no excuse imo. I get distracted when coming home too, but I don't leave my kids in the car. I get the impression from the article that they just want to brush this aside as quickly as possible, I hope I'm wrong..
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

HOW IN THE WORLD...The article says that the dog lived with the family the entire time he was with the police force, 4 years, and that the officer parked his car at 9:15AM in the morning...he didn't discover the dog until almost 10PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He didn't friggin notice that his dog that was his partner and LIVED with him was NOT around? He would have had to have fed him during the day just like any NORMAL day, right? Checked on him like any normal day??? So why hadn't he checked on his dog like any NORMAL day and noticed he wasn't in the backyard or house?

This is a lousy, flimsy excuse. Yes, it probably was an accident and he probably does feel horrible but he was incredibly irresponsible, period. With the weather that we are having, the dog either lived inside and would have had to have been let out to use the bathroom or lived outside and should have been watered and fed, he did neither and if he had he would have known that something was amiss and would have checked the car. Having a police dog is a huge responsibility, what if he kept the dog outside and he got out? Any way you put it, IRRESPONSIBLE!

I feel so bad for this dog!!!!!
    I once was lost, but now I'm found and I don't know how I survived without Milk Bones and fluffy pillows...Frank (a loving rescued dog)

We had a Police dog for 4 years, if my husband was at home the dog was at home, if my husband was at work the dog was at work - they were together more than a man and wife - how on earth did this guy forget his best mate was in the car and left him to die???

I am finding it very very hard to believe this was an accident........... If it was a genuine accident then this guy shouldn't be in the Police Force.

The article says that upon arriving home he learned his son was in a car demolishing crash.

I could see how that would freak someone out and distract them but we are talking about a cop who should have some experience in dealing with trauma and high stress situations.
    I mean does he flub up on the job if something stressful happens?

I also wonder how kind the police and DA would be had this just been any other person?

It sounds as though they are trying to make excuses for him to me when they say:

"Griner said Lovejoy's family is taking Bandit's death hard. The dog lived with the Lovejoys the entire time he was with the department."

So, obviously the dog lived with the family and therefore he should have wondered where his dog was throughout the day because a dog needs to be watered, fed, and let out.

But then they say:
    "Griner did not have information on whether Lovejoy's son was injured, but said the car accident may have distracted Lovejoy - head of the department's K-9 unit - and caused him to forget his dog, who would not have normally been with him on the extra duty shift. The decision was made to include the dog on Lovejoy's patrol given several recent high profile incidents, including the Chandler serial rapist case."

If the dog, Bandit, would not have normally been with him on that day, he STILL would have been with him at his HOME!!!!!!!!

The article also says:
    "Two other Valley police departments also lost K-9 earlier this year - one in a similar incident."

So are they trying to downplay this? One of the dogs died by being left in a car also, it supposedly had the car in idle but they say that the AC must have malfunctioned and another was hit by a car while on chase.
    I once was lost, but now I'm found and I don't know how I survived without Milk Bones and fluffy pillows...Frank (a loving rescued dog)

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    The article says that upon arriving home he learned his son was in a car demolishing crash.

I could see how that would freak someone out and distract them but we are talking about a cop who should have some experience in dealing with trauma and high stress situations.
    I mean does he flub up on the job if something stressful happens?

I also wonder how kind the police and DA would be had this just been any other person?
    Good post, Amraann. Even if the cop was distracted and freaked out by his son's accident, that's no excuse to neglect another member of the family (the dog).

Tough crowd here. The guy gets a pass from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Thats okay, Paladin. We still love you!

I hope your on the jury of the next parent who forgets their child in the car because they were distracted.

Seriously ... I often go through the house and check on my pets.
    I just can't imagine not noticing.

I hope your on the jury of the next parent who forgets their child in the car because they were distracted.

Seriously ... I often go through the house and check on my pets.
    I just can't imagine not noticing.
    We're not talking about a child. We're talking about a dog. They're not exactly the same in my eyes, and his punishment here is that his best friend and partner are dead. There's absolutely no need to punish this man any further. If it was an honest to God mistake (which I think it is, I've seen no evidence otherwise), then he should get a second chance.

I don't understand why people are calling for this guy to lose his job or even go to jail. I think it's ridiculous. This guy has served his community and has probably had his life in jeopardy and this is how people want to repay him?

It's one and done with many people here and I won't subscribe to it. It's so easy to quarterback it here from the comfort of our homes or our offices.

We're not talking about a child. We're talking about a dog. They're not exactly the same in my eyes, and his punishment here is that his best friend and partner are dead. There's absolutely no need to punish this man any further. If it was an honest to God mistake (which I think it is, I've seen no evidence otherwise), then he should get a second chance.

I don't understand why people are calling for this guy to lose his job or even go to jail. I think it's ridiculous. This guy has served his community and has probably had his life in jeopardy and this is how people want to repay him?

It's one and done with many people here and I won't subscribe to it. It's so easy to quarterback it here from the comfort of our homes or our offices.
    Couldn't have said it better myself...though Lord knows I've have, from time to time, tried!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Hi Paladin,
    I can understand where you're coming from. I don't want this cop to go to jail, either. I just think that he is the one at fault here. I don't know if he should or will get any punishment from the force, but that's not up to me to decide. I'm sure he feel terrible for what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishified View Post
    Hi Paladin,
    I can understand where you're coming from. I don't want this cop to go to jail, either. I just think that he is the one at fault here. I don't know if he should or will get any punishment from the force, but that's not up to me to decide. I'm sure he feel terrible for what happened.
    He is absolutely at fault, that's for sure. I just hope the police force will take a balanced and objective look at what occurred and determine with confidence whether or not this man is capable of continuing his duties as a K9 cop and not repeat the same mistake twice.

If they do all of the above, I would be comfortable with their decision.

I will agree with you that he probably has already learned his lesson and that this is not a mistake he is likely to make again. I do think that having his callousness aired like this is enough. I hope that he is not this careless again. It is sad that it ever happened.

He is absolutely at fault, that's for sure. I just hope the police force will take a balanced and objective look at what occurred and determine with confidence whether or not this man is capable of continuing his duties as a K9 cop and not repeat the same mistake twice.

If they do all of the above, I would comfortable with their decision.
    I agree!

MY point is that mainly if he was not an officer this story would have an entirely differing spin.
    I am not saying he should go to jail but I definitely would question his ability to handle a crime situation if stress causes this reaction.

I do not like the spin the police are putting on this. It is rare to see such a reaction.
    I would even be ok if it was the typical reaction when such things happen with pets OR children... but its not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocgirl View Post

FWIW Malinois are common in police work, so maybe not the same dog.

I hope he will face charges of animal neglect. Thats 12 hours in a baking car with no water???

MY point is that mainly if he was not an officer this story would have an entirely differing spin.
    I am not saying he should go to jail but I definitely would question his ability to handle a crime situation if stress causes this reaction.

I do not like the spin the police are putting on this. It is rare to see such a reaction.
    I would even be ok if it was the typical reaction when such things happen with pets OR children... but its not.

I feel so bad for the poor dog. He must have suffered quite a bit and waiting for this man to come and rescue him.
    The fact that it was 12 hours before he was found bothers me because during all these hours the dog would have been needing things such as food and going outside. I can understand having something happen that can distract you but somewhere in the first hours there should have been some thoughts about this dog.
    Years ago I rescued a german shepherd and he was the most wonderful intelligent loving dog I've ever had to privilege to know. It would kill me if I had been responsible for him dying like this dog did. I would hope this officer is not given another police dog.

VB

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast