Hurricane Flossie Forecast Changes for Worse

Buzz Mills

Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
Hurricane Flossie Forecast Changes for Worse

HONOLULU (Aug. 13) - Hurricane Flossie roared toward Hawaii on Monday with its sustained wind increased to 140 mph, and was expected to retain much of its strength by the time it passes by the islands.

Forecasters earlier had said cooler weather would weaken the storm to a Category 1 hurricane , with sustained wind of at least 74 mph, by the time it passes about 70 miles south of the Big Island of Hawaii late Tuesday or early Wednesday. But on Monday forecasters said they now expected a Category 3 hurricane, with sustained wind of at least 111 mph, to pass the islands. "The intensity has remained stronger than what was originally forecast, but the track has been pretty much right on," said Jim Weyman, the weather service's meteorologist in charge in Honolulu.

The National Weather Service placed the Big Island under a hurricane watch, meaning hurricane conditions were possible within 36 hours. A flash flood watch was also issued for the island through Wednesday, with possible flash flooding in areas. The Big Island is largely rural, with about 150,000 people, and most live in the west or northeast, not the southern portion expected to be hit hardest by the hurricane. Other islands are expected to get much less of the storm's wind and rain. At 11 a.m. EDT, Flossie was about 495 miles southeast of Hilo, with maximum sustained wind near 140 mph, up from 135 mph earlier in the day, the Central Pacific Hurricane Center said. It was moving west-northwest at about 15 mph.

Meteorologists cautioned that even a slight change of course in the unpredictable storm could take it closer to land. Emergency workers had mobilized Sunday afternoon to prepare for the potentially devastating hurricane, Hawaii Island Mayor Harry Kim said. "You always prepare for the worst case scenario and hope for the best," Kim said. Even though the eye of the storm may miss the Hawaiian Islands, Flossie could still bring strong wind and heavy rain, forecasters said. Parts of the Big Island, home to one of the world's most active volcanoes in Kilauea, likely will experience tropical storm-level winds and at least 10 to 15 inches of rain, Weyman said. The south shore could see also see waves of 10 to 15 feet, forecasters said, with the surf rising starting late Monday. Waves along the east facing shores could increase to 8 to 12 feet on Tuesday. The island's South Point is the southernmost area of the United States. The last time a hurricane hit Hawaii was in 1992, when Iniki ravaged Kauai, killing six people and causing $2.5 billion in damage.

http://news.aol.com/story/ar/_a/flo...e/20070813123509990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

How ironic for me - today is the 3 year mark for Hurricane Charley. My little town is busy celebrating our recovery process as this news breaks. :eek: We were under the impression that it was a Cat 2 and headed hundred of miles north of us right up until it was too late to evacuate, so I will say a prayer now as I know how unpredicatable these predictions are!

I had a feeling "she" was going to nudge us a bit more than "they" were telling us.

Flossie looks menacing:
http://www.osei.noaa.gov/iod.html

Wondering if anybody has a link to the hurricane spotting plane that is based out of Teneessee???

Oh no, I'm going there on my honeymoon next month. Hope everything will be okay.

Oh no, I'm going there on my honeymoon next month. Hope everything will be okay.
It must be a sign Paladin.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 40 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140 MILES.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 956 MB...28.23 INCHES.

THE MAIN EFFECTS FROM HURRICANE FLOSSIE ARE EXPECTED ON THE BIG
ISLAND TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS NOW
IN EFFECT FOR THE BIG ISLAND. EVERYONE IN HAWAII IS URGED TO
CLOSELY MONITOR FUTURE BULLETINS AS THIS DANGEROUS HURRICANE MOVES
TOWARD THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

REPEATING THE 1100 AM HST POSITION...15.3 N...150.6 W. MOVEMENT TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 15 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS... 125 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...956 MB.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tcpages/FLOSSIE.php#text

That's it. Wedding's off. Wait until she hears this. :)
Woohoo! What a way to start a Honeymoon! Hurricane season with unexpected waves! Like that will stop you...hehehe. You seem to be the adventurous type! LOL I would say..."Batton down the hatches, Baby...we are rockin' n rollin' into a new life!" Good luck, Paladin! Take what is left of Hawaii and enjoy. (However, don't do the booze cruise ever over to another Island unless you research the winds in the area first! Not fun to get sandblasted all day then white cap it plus all the way back with people throwing up! My tip of the day for the Islands. LOL)

HURRICANE FLOSSIE ADVISORY NUMBER 22
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI EP092007
500 PM HST MON AUG 13 2007

FLOSSIE IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 16 MPH AND THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH TONIGHT.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 120 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. FLOSSIE IS A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. LITTLE CHANGE IN STRENGTH IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 40 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140 MILES.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 957 MB...28.26 INCHES.

REPEATING THE 500 PM HST POSITION...15.9 N...152.0 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 16 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...
120 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...957 MB.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/pages/prod.php?file=/data/HFO/TCPCP2

I come home after doing some overtime due to Flossie, seems Pele (volcano Godess), messed up my house a bit..candle holders scattered, pic frames on the floor, tools (which I shoulda put away)scattered on the floor, doggies all "wired" and hungry.
Wish us a bit of peace in this war of natural disasters, after our brave souls fighting for freedom, of course.

Aloha kakou.

AlohaGal-I'm praying for you and all of my friends over there. I live in hurricane country and I know how dangerous and scary it can be. Be careful!!!

Woohoo! What a way to start a Honeymoon! Hurricane season with unexpected waves! Like that will stop you...hehehe. You seem to be the adventurous type! LOL I would say..."Batton down the hatches, Baby...we are rockin' n rollin' into a new life!" Good luck, Paladin! Take what is left of Hawaii and enjoy. (However, don't do the booze cruise ever over to another Island unless you research the winds in the area first! Not fun to get sandblasted all day then white cap it plus all the way back with people throwing up! My tip of the day for the Islands. LOL)

OMG, there's a booze cruise? To another island? I'm gonna have to look into this.

AlohaGal wish you and all the residents there safety through flossie.

I come home after doing some overtime due to Flossie, seems Pele (volcano Godess), messed up my house a bit..candle holders scattered, pic frames on the floor, tools (which I shoulda put away)scattered on the floor, doggies all "wired" and hungry.
Wish us a bit of peace in this war of natural disasters, after our brave souls fighting for freedom, of course.

Aloha kakou.

Peace be with you and yours. You will definitely be in our thoughts so please keep up posted on how you are holding up. Hunker Down!!!

hurricane Flossie Advisory Number 24
Nws Central Pacific Hurricane Center Honolulu Hi Ep092007
500 Am Hst Tue Aug 14 2007

The Big Island Will See The Onset Of Tropical Storm Force Winds...
39 Mph And Higher...by Mid-morning. East To Southeast Winds Of 40
To 50 Mph With Higher Gusts Are Likely As Hurricane Flossie Passes
South Of The Big Island During The Day Today. Any Shift In The
Forecast Track Towards The North...closer To The Big Island...
Will Result In Higher Winds.

Surf Along South Facing Shores Of The Big Island Will Be Rising To 20 To 25 Ft Today. Surf Along East Facing Shores Of The Big Island Will Be 10 To 12 Feet.

Heavy Showers And Thunderstorms Within Outer Rainbands May Produce 10 Inches Or More Of Rainfall In Kau District On The Big Island Through Tonight. Smaller Amounts...5 To 10 Inches...may Fall On The East Slopes Of The Big Island Through Tonight.

Repeating The 500 Am Hst Position...16.9 N...154.1 W. Movement Toward...west-northwest Near 13 Mph. Maximum Sustained Winds... 110 Mph. Minimum Central Pressure...972 Mb.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/pages/prod.php?file=/data/HFO/TCPCP2

Thanks for all the good wishes
Big rains here and some gusts of wind. I could hear the ocean pounding more loudly than normal from my house which is about 4 to 5 miles from the shoreline.
Banks, schools and libraries closed. I am hoping to convert the overtime I worked yesterday into some comp time today so I can go get provisions for me and my doggies, if I can find some!
Shelters are being prepared, though no evacuations have been ordered they will take in people who want to move inland. If they allowed pets I would go volunteer.
Aloha.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackparsley
Back