London Times Article: Why the Amber Alert makes me see red

meggilyweggily

Reaction score
Website
www.charleyproject.org
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/mick_hume/article2253547.ece

Nobody should blame Madeleine McCann’s parents for doing whatever they can to keep publicising their missing daughter’s case. But sympathy should not mean we have to support their latest demands for more child protection laws, based on the suspect US “Amber Alert” system.
Let’s hope not. An Amber Alert system would likely do more harm than good, reinforcing society’s overblown anxieties about child safety.

Clearly this person knows very little about the Amber Alert system; for instance, he doesn't mention the criteria for an Amber alert, and acts like there's an Amber every time a child disappears anywhere under any circumstances. And of course he ignores the many children who were found safe because of an Amber.

Let’s hope not. An Amber Alert system would likely do more harm than good, reinforcing society’s overblown anxieties about child safety.
http://missingkids.co.uk/missingkids/servlet/NewsEventServlet?LanguageCountry=en_GB&PageId=0
For the UK as a whole, over 77,000 children go missing every year.
much better to have parents stick their head in the sand and think it is ok to leave a child alone in a strange place than worry that they will be 1 of the 77,000 each year....

society’s overblown anxieties about child safety.

What??Its called loving your child(ren).Also being able to know that living in denial "that will never happen to my child" is more crazy,that it can happen to your child.I am not naive.I do not leave my children alone while I am kicking back a few with friends 120 yards away from where my children are with an unlocked door.

I am aware of the dangers children face every day!

My little rant is over.Sorry.That guys tone just ticked me off :furious: .Even if its only one child saved then the Amber alert is worth it IMO.

Either the author has no children or he is a fool.

Yeah, let's wait and see what he would like LE to do if one of his children were abducted! (I'm hoping he can't reproduce, frankly.)

It's too bad he wasted paper writing about that subject when he could have brought the attention to the fact that you shouldn't be leaving little children alone like the McCann's did and not expect something bad to happen to them. (Fire, abduction, poisoning,wandering, et al.)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back