Deadbeat Dads Snared By Passport Backlog

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
WASHINGTON — The price of a passport: $311,491 in back child support payments for a U.S. businessman now living in China; $46,000 for a musician seeking to perform overseas, and $45,849 for a man planning a Dominican Republic vacation.
The new passport requirements that have complicated travel this summer have also uncovered untold numbers of child support scofflaws and forced them to pay millions.
The State Department denies passports to noncustodial parents who owe more than $2,500 in child support. Once the parents make good on their debts, they can reapply for passports.
Now that millions of additional travelers need passports to fly back from Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and South America, collections under the Passport Denial Program are on pace to about double this year, federal officials told The Associated Press.
In all, states have reported collecting at least $22.5 million through the program thus far in 2007. The money is then forwarded to the parent to whom it is owed.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293271,00.html
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Great idea, they dont have anything like that in Australia, as my sister who is divorced with 2 children who are now grown up has never received a penny from her ex for child support.

Now they can take it out of their wages.....thats if they have a job to start with.

WASHINGTON — The price of a passport: $311,491 in back child support payments for a U.S. businessman now living in China; $46,000 for a musician seeking to perform overseas, and $45,849 for a man planning a Dominican Republic vacation.
The new passport requirements that have complicated travel this summer have also uncovered untold numbers of child support scofflaws and forced them to pay millions.
The State Department denies passports to noncustodial parents who owe more than $2,500 in child support. Once the parents make good on their debts, they can reapply for passports.
Now that millions of additional travelers need passports to fly back from Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and South America, collections under the Passport Denial Program are on pace to about double this year, federal officials told The Associated Press.
In all, states have reported collecting at least $22.5 million through the program thus far in 2007. The money is then forwarded to the parent to whom it is owed.
Good ! Men who spawn children are responsible for their care as are the women who give birth to them.it works both ways too. My friends hubby is always taking out money from her payments e.g.Hair cuts and whatever he chooses...when he sees fit.This leaves her short. He earns 3 times what she does but does not see that when he short changes her it hurts the boys.
Wish our authorities were harder on chasing up money for maintenance payments.

Me too and I do'nt know what the stats say but there seems to be a lot around in our society..

It's ridiculous. I love when my ex says to my daughter..."what does your mom do with all the money I give her". Meanwhile, he is always an average of one month behind and has even been one year behind at one time. If I counted on child support to take care of her needs, she would be homeless, naked and starving. :loser:

:woohoo:

I am fortunate that my daughters dad has always paid her child support. I don't understand how a parent can refuse to take care of their child's needs.

I actually got into a very heated, public argument with a co-worker one time over this subject. She didn't think her husband should have to pay 21% in child support. She knew that he had a small child when she hooked up with him. I told her tough poo. Stinking witch! I still get mad thinking how she carried on about his responsibility to him.

Wow! That's awesome! I know there are a lot of mom's out there struggling, this is great news!
We pay for my stepdaughters private school and pay child support every month, I knew this going in and I know it gets paid every month cause I write the checks. I don't understand how dad's can be irresponsible and not take care of their children, it's beyond me. I am very fortunate that I have a very sweet 12 year old (she'll be 12 next week) step daughter. She was raised to be respectful, but I think she is just naturally sweet and funny and affectionate. When she's with us, I get to take her shopping and go to movies and do fun things like crafts. She's hoping we'll give her a stepbrother or sister soon...........:) :eek: :D

What's sad is that there are so many deadbeat parents out there!!
A few weeks ago when I went to pick up my check there was a young man there who was also picking up his, he got very upset when he saw that child support had been taken out!! The woman with him also was not happy about this.
If a man doesn't want to be paying child support you know there is a way to not have to do this, don't get the woman pregnant! I was thinking this guy will probably end up having a baby with the woman who was with him and then leave her also, then she'll find out what it's like to have to track him down to try and help with the support.

VB

I know someone who has not had her kids with her for a few years now and never sends a penny. Her and her new hubby have a pretty good life as far as money goes. Just the other day she told me her kids want to come live with her now and the first thing out of her mouth was .. ''well I hope their dad is ready to go back to court because I am going to have his support modified''.. Now I agree that the parent should pay don't get me wrong here. But mom hasnt seen her kids or sent them anything and all she can think about is how much money she is going to get?

I know someone who has not had her kids with her for a few years now and never sends a penny. Her and her new hubby have a pretty good life as far as money goes. Just the other day she told me her kids want to come live with her now and the first thing out of her mouth was .. ''well I hope their dad is ready to go back to court because I am going to have his support modified''.. Now I agree that the parent should pay don't get me wrong here. But mom hasnt seen her kids or sent them anything and all she can think about is how much money she is going to get?

Lovely!! (insert sarcasm smiley here)

I can't believe how many women complain that their spouses have to pay child support.

It's ridiculous. I love when my ex says to my daughter..."what does your mom do with all the money I give her". Meanwhile, he is always an average of one month behind and has even been one year behind at one time. If I counted on child support to take care of her needs, she would be homeless, naked and starving. :loser:

Oh, I know that phrase very well. In the beginning when mine was paying here and there, he would ask her that during visitation. Then she'd come home innocently and ask me "What ARE you doing with all that money that Dad gives you?" :rolleyes:

Anyway, she's 22 now...and he started paying when she was 18 because he was facing jail time. :D He's unemployed again, or should I say, as usual....

I'm sure glad to hear that he won't be getting a passport any time soon. :woohoo:

Lovely!! (insert sarcasm smiley here)

I can't believe how many women complain that their spouses have to pay child support.

Then they shouldn't have married a divorced father.
I make sure ALL OF OUR CHILDREN are provided for.

good deal!!! (thumbs up, here)

I hate deadbeat 'parents' too. I never could understand it. I have a cousin who's father not only supported her, but her sister (who he had no obligation to support). He lived in a one room apt and spent all his money on them, made sure they had a freezer and kept it full, put them through private school, etc. That, to me, is what a man does. He puts children ahead of himself and gives unselfishly.

deadbeat parents too. I cannot believe the measures people go through to avoid child support. I will say, part of this is the custodial parents problem for having a baby with this person. Most deadbeat parents are men but there are a few women too.

There usually are a few signs that the person you are having as baby with is a loser. Probably not a good idea to have a child with them.

Some states child support guidelines totally rake a non custodial parent over the coals. so many custody battles revolve around child support its sad. CS guidelines in alk states, should calculate both parents incomes and parenting time. AZ guidelines are fair and requires both parents support the child.

What I do not understand, is that some states do not take previous kids into consideration. Like when a woman has a baby with a man who she knows is married with kids. Some states will not take his children into consideration when calculating support. A person should have to support all their kids, not just the ones in a childs support order.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back