Erin - Texas Bound

Buzz Mills

Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
Tropical Storm Erin threatens Texas

HARLINGEN, Texas - Tropical Storm Erin formed Wednesday in the Gulf of Mexico and headed toward Texas, threatening to bring downpours to a state that already has had one of its rainiest summers on record. Gov. Rick Perry ordered emergency vehicles and personnel, including National Guard troops, to the region in advance of the weather system. "Because storms have saturated much of our state this summer, many communities in this storm's projected path are at high risk of dangerous flash flooding," Perry said in a statement.

Homeowners headed to hardware stores in the Rio Grande Valley for supplies to board up their houses, said Ruben Dimas, assistant store manager at a Home Depot in Harlingen. "They know the drill, they're familiar with it," Dimas said.

The fifth depression of the Atlantic hurricane season formed late Tuesday and was upgraded to a tropical storm Wednesday when its maximum sustained speed was measured at 40 mph, the National Hurricane Center said. The threshold for tropical storm status is 39 mph.

At 11:30 a.m. EDT, the depression was centered 250 miles east of Brownsville, Texas, and about 290 miles east-northeast of La Pesca, Mexico, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami. It was moving toward the west-northwest at around 12 mph and was expected to continue following that track for at least 24 hours. A tropical storm warning was posted for the Texas coast from Freeport, south of Houston, southward to the border. Mexico issued a tropical storm watch for its northwest coast from Rio San Fernando northward. A tropical storm watch means that tropical storm conditions are possible within 36 hours. Three to 8 inches of rain was possible along the middle Texas coast, the hurricane center said

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070815/ap_on_re_us/tropical_weather

TROPICAL STORM ERIN SPECIAL ADVISORY NUMBER 4
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL052007
1030 AM CDT WED AUG 15 2007

...NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER PLANE FINDS TROPICAL STORM ERIN IN THE GULF
OF MEXICO...

AT 10 AM CDT...1500 UTC...A TROPICAL STORM WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED
FOR THE TEXAS COAST FROM FREEPORT SOUTHWARD. A TROPICAL STORM
WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN
THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE NORTHEAST COAST OF
MEXICO FROM RIO SAN FERNANDO NORTHWARD.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE
INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED
BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 1030 AM CDT...1530Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM ERIN WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 25.6 NORTH...LONGITUDE 93.5 WEST OR ABOUT 250
MILES...400 KM...EAST OF BROWNSVILLE TEXAS AND ABOUT 295 MILES...480
KM...EAST-NORTHEAST OF LA PESCA MEXICO.

ERIN IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH...19 KM/HR...
AND THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. ON
THIS TRACK...THE CENTER OF ERIN IS FORECAST TO BE NEAR THE LOWER OR
MIDDLE TEXAS COAST THURSDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 40 MPH...65 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM
TO THE EAST OF THE CENTER. SOME RAINBANDS WITH GUSTY WINDS ARE
ALREADY APPROACHING THE TEXAS COAST.

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE RECENTLY REPORTED BY A NOAA RECONNAISSANCE
PLANE WAS 1005 MB...29.68 INCHES.

TOTAL RAIN ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE ALONG THE
MIDDLE TEXAS COAST...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 8 INCHES.

REPEATING THE 1030 AM CDT POSITION...25.6 N...93.5 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40
MPH
. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1005 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 1230 PM CDT FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 330
PM CDT.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/153523.shtml?3day#contents

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT5+shtml/151536.shtml

Many areas of TX have already been drenched by torrential rains. I hope the Erin leaves those areas alone.

I wish I could change Erin's path to the east.... southeastern Texas does not need the rain, God bless 'em, and we do, desperately. Sometimes things just don't seem to make any sense. Prayers for our friends in Texas!!!!

englishleigh,
I so agree. I too am in the east and we desperately need rain.

rain! we need some up here in the midwest! first we flood, then we're parched!

This is headed towards the very deep southeastern part of Texas, and they usually do need the rain, although not as much as the southeastern coast near NC, etc., seems to, overall.

You should hear the weather forecasters here in the Houston area, we are probably going to get a few bands of rain, but they can't resist the urge to make it out to be Very Bad News, indeed.

Ignore Gov. Perry. He's all hat and no cattle.

Texas bracing for floods as Erin arrives

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Tropical Storm Erin was downgraded to a tropical depression when it made landfall Thursday morning on the Gulf Coast, but flood-weary Texas was still bracing for torrential downpours and flash flooding.

Erin came ashore at about 7 a.m. at Copano Bay, about 25 miles northeast of Corpus Christi. "We're very fortunate. We're always prepared for the worst and we pray that we're wrong," said Corpus Christi Fire Department Deputy Chief Michael Hernandez. "For the most part it looks like we dodged a bullet."

Erin's winds fell to 35 mph, lower than the 39 mph threshold for tropical storms. The center continued to move to the west-northwest at around 12 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Inland, the already sodden corridor between San Antonio and Austin was facing up to 4 inches of rain, with up to 10 inches in some areas, according to the National Weather Service.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070816/ap_on_re_us/tropical_weather

REPEATING THE 700 AM CDT POSITION...28.0 N...97.2 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...35
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1006 MB.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/204523.shtml?3day?large#contents

TOTAL RAIN ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS MUCH
OF CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN TEXAS...WITH POSSIBLE ISOLATED MAXIMUM
AMOUNTS OF 10 INCHES.

ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE NEAR THE MIDDLE TEXAS GULF COAST
TODAY.

REPEATING THE 1000 AM CDT POSITION...28.5 N...97.8 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 15 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...35 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1006 MB.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/204523.shtml?3day?large#contents

Anyone see the news footage of Houston?
The waters are steadily rising, lots of folks are worried to death about flooding, property damage, etc.

The waters are steadily rising, lots of folks are worried to death about flooding, property damage, etc.

No, but I wish the rain would come up here to North Texas --- it's just way too hot - been 100+ all week - YUK!!

Storm Erin deluges Houston

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Tropical Storm Erin made landfall Thursday as a tropical depression, bringing torrential downpours to Houston before aiming at flood-weary central Texas. One person was killed and another was injured when a waterlogged roof collapsed at a storage unit at a Houston grocery store, Houston Fire Chief Omero Longoria said.

Erin came ashore at about 7 a.m. at Copano Bay, about 25 miles northeast of Corpus Christi. "We're very fortunate. We're always prepared for the worst and we pray that we're wrong," said Corpus Christi Fire Department Deputy Chief Michael Hernandez. "For the most part it looks like we dodged a bullet."

Erin's wind fell to 35 mph, lower than the 39 mph threshold for tropical storms, when it howled ashore. But it first stopped in Houston, strangling midday traffic with street flooding that stranded dozens of cars. A flash-flood warning remained in effect for the entire area surrounding Houston. The storm's center moved inland toward the already soggy Hill Country in central Texas at around 15 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center.

The corridor between San Antonio and Austin was facing 3 to 10 inches of rain, according to the National Weather Service. Forecasters said said 33 counties were under a flash-flood watch through Friday morning, including the Hill Country, which has been pounded by deadly storms and record rainfall this summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070816/ap_on_re_us/tropical_weather

My office is on the west side of Houston. We've had a steady hard rain here on and off all day. The parking lot across from us is flooded. It's not raining right now, and the sun is actually trying to come out, but the rain is not over yet. I'm hoping we don't get too much more otherwise I'll have trouble getting home. :(

My office is on the west side of Houston. We've had a steady hard rain here on and off all day. The parking lot across from us is flooded. It's not raining right now, and the sun is actually trying to come out, but the rain is not over yet. I'm hoping we don't get too much more otherwise I'll have trouble getting home. :(

Hey lady you be careful pwease.

We had a few sprinkles here in Central Texas...we don't need any more rain here! We had MORE than our share in May-July.

Jules be very careful driving home this evening.

Do I need to send boxes of supplies and goodies yet?

Please be careful!

Do I need to send boxes of supplies and goodies yet?

Please be careful!

No, Hon, not yet! :blowkiss:

It's not raining now and I'm hoping it holds off again until after I'm home. :cool: We did lose power this morning at home for a bit and then here this morning for about 30 minutes. That was real fun... :rolleyes:

I just got home. I have been stuck on I-45! Cars were floating around everywhere!!! It was horrible. :bang:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Tejas1821
Back