1499 users online (381 members and 1118 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Nearly 100 Cats & Dogs Found In Mansion Of Squalor

Bodies Of 23 Animals Found Wrapped In Shoeboxes, May Have Been There For A Year
    For weeks and possibly even months, Saddle River residents suspected something was wrong at 25 Burning Hollow Road, where the animals were found living in squalid conditions. "My dog Jake would get out once in a while, and I always found him over there by that house," says Connie Lasala, who lives near the house.

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

I feel sorry for people like them. They probably started out with good intentions, but just didn't know how many were too many. I would LOVE to take in more Danes, but I know space, time and money will not allow me to give them all the care and attention they'll need.

Saddle River is such a wealthy area, and their mansion is huge, i wonder if they just lost track due to depression of all their animals. One could probably get lost in the house. I, too think that they had good intentions and it just got out of hand for them. They should have been spaying and neutering the animals as they got them.
    I hope loving homes are found for these pets.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    I feel sorry for people like them. They probably started out with good intentions, but just didn't know how many were too many. I would LOVE to take in more Danes, but I know space, time and money will not allow me to give them all the care and attention they'll need.
    To my dear SadieMae,
    With all due Respect, I do believe that they knew when to stop giving humane shelter in the home. You know that you need more space, time and money to provide a humane home. Even though some may see the people in the story as saviors, and animal lovers, I on the otherhand do not see them as that in my eyes.
    You my dear SadieMae know when to draw the line. I thank-you for being an animal lover. These so called animal lovers crossed the line into animal abuse, they knew when to stop. Instead of taking that many animals into their home, they could have donated monies to the animal shelter. They knew that they were violating an ordinance by not registering each animal. That is why we have laws of animal registration. It is to protect beloved animals.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
    dark_shadows

Yes I agree DS,they should know where to draw the line...but I think with some people it's partly due to some mental illnesss issues. These people are typically called "hoarders". They are not rational thinkers. They don't realize their animals are not being properly cared for. I suppose in their mind they are "saving" them. They are not animal lovers, those that are would not have animals in such squalor. Something really has to be wrong with a person who could live in such stench.

There was another case of hoarding today, this time in Queens by an elderly woman with Alzeihmers. She had 30 dogs and 10 cats in an apartment, some purebreds even. Ironically, they were all healthy and well fed.
    My heart goes out to her as the officer on said "she is a victim of age".

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    Yes I agree DS,they should know where to draw the line...but I think with some people it's partly due to some mental illnesss issues. These people are typically called "hoarders". They are not rational thinkers. They don't realize their animals are not being properly cared for. I suppose in their mind they are "saving" them. They are not animal lovers, those that are would not have animals in such squalor. Something really has to be wrong with a person who could live in such stench.
    To my dear SadieMae,
    Thank-you so very much for your post.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
    dark_shadows

Quote Originally Posted by MeoW333 View Post
    Saddle River is such a wealthy area, and their mansion is huge, i wonder if they just lost track due to depression of all their animals. One could probably get lost in the house. I, too think that they had good intentions and it just got out of hand for them. They should have been spaying and neutering the animals as they got them.
    I hope loving homes are found for these pets.
    If they can be made healthy they should be able to find new homes. Unfortunately with the living conditions, some will be beyond saving. The article said the mansion is going into forclosure. The couple had different last names, and close to a 20 year age difference. I wonder if they are related?

Quote Originally Posted by MeoW333 View Post
    There was another case of hoarding today, this time in Queens by an elderly woman with Alzeihmers. She had 30 dogs and 10 cats in an apartment, some purebreds even. Ironically, they were all healthy and well fed.
    My heart goes out to her as the officer on said "she is a victim of age".
    Dear MeoW333,
    Even though she is a "victim of age", no one has the right to have that many animals in a home. I do understand that they were healthy and well fed. The fact remains that if we allow one to slide by, then we should let all others slide by as to not show favortism. We have animal shelters to house, care for and provide adoption for many animals. They are cared for until they are adopted and many shelters are "no kill" ones.
    The dogs that this woman had were said to be healthy. How were these animals vet checked? There is no way that she had each animal brought to a vet. 30 dogs and 10 cats were not vet checked. She just got lucky that they were claimed to be healthy. What exactly does a "victim of age" mean anyway in bypassing laws? If it was a person "of age" they would be issued a summons and face a judge. Age does not matter when it pertains to breaking a law or an ordinance.
    I say this with much Respect, so please do not take it personal.
    Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

Although rare, some vets do make house calls. Mine does. If this woman had all her animals up to date with shots, spayed/neutered, heart worm prevention, well fed, and kept in a clean environment, then she is lucky she had the finances to care for them all. BUT that many animals in an APARTMENT just doesn't seem healthy for the animals. Dogs need regular exercise. I don't think she would be capable of walking all the dogs or taking them to dog parks. They may have appeared to be physically healthy, but like people, dogs need emotional wellbeing too.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows View Post
    Dear MeoW333,
    Even though she is a "victim of age", no one has the right to have that many animals in a home. I do understand that they were healthy and well fed. The fact remains that if we allow one to slide by, then we should let all others slide by as to not show favortism. We have animal shelters to house, care for and provide adoption for many animals. They are cared for until they are adopted and many shelters are "no kill" ones.
    The dogs that this woman had were said to be healthy. How were these animals vet checked? There is no way that she had each animal brought to a vet. 30 dogs and 10 cats were not vet checked. She just got lucky that they were claimed to be healthy. What exactly does a "victim of age" mean anyway in bypassing laws? If it was a person "of age" they would be issued a summons and face a judge. Age does not matter when it pertains to breaking a law or an ordinance.
    I say this with much Respect, so please do not take it personal.
    Respectfully,
    dark_shadows
    Dark_Shadows, I agree with you completely on this, i just feel for the elderly woman as she had alziemers and was living alone. Her illness played a part in the hoarding. I used to foster dogs, from a foster group, and their are many outlets that would help find homes for animals. Due to her age though, it is sad that her illness led her to the state of where she was with the hoarding. She was completely out of it; dementia/alziemers on the news, she had slapped the officer's hand away. So due to her age and state of mind, they had to handle it with kid gloves so to speak. Overcrowded conditions lead to kennel cough and much much worse without proper vaccinations and treatment. If i was able to, i would take in so many strays, it's just our 2 we have (a cat and a dog) take up our family's time and the more we have, the more love, space, and vet treatments they would need. My dog was originally a foster, who was so attached to me i couldn't bare to part with her. When we got her as a foster she was heartworm positive, went through the treatment and is healthy as can be. I've always believed that love combined with treatment is the best healer. We had another foster who was heartworm positive before her, and she also came out healthy and happy. All have been found loving homes and this is a total of 6 fosters we've had over the past.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Neighbor Who Bought Feces-Filled New Jersey Mansion Wants Out of Deal

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294610,00.html