1025 users online (190 members and 835 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,387

    GA - Charles Lendelle Carter caught in Fulton County

    Recent killing leads police to possible serial killer
    Chef charged in four murders admitted to doing 'bad things'

    By BETH WARREN
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

    Published on: 08/17/07

    Local chef Charles Lendelle Carter told police he has trouble sleeping at night because he is often haunted by the faces of his victims.

    Police say he has reason to lie awake because he's a serial killer whose crimes have just come to light. When Fulton County police detectives recently solved a homicide, they unwittingly stumbled onto Carter, who they believe hunted victims in at least four counties dating back 15 years.

    And authorities want him to keep talking because they believe there could be even more.

    There's the mother of six who was beaten and strangled the day after Christmas 2005 in Gwinnett County; the Alpharetta mother who was stabbed in 2006 and found when her son returned home from middle school; the man dragged behind a school in DeKalb County in 1992 and riddled with bullets; the Atlanta mother of three who was sexually assaulted and stabbed in 2004, found in her bloodied bed by her teen-age son.

    Carter, 39, is charged with murder in all four of those slayings and faces a death penalty trial in Fulton County for the Atlanta crime. He is due in court next month for pretrial hearings.

    He confessed to the DeKalb County homicide and admitted he has done "bad things," but he asked for a lawyer and pleaded not guilty to the other slayings, said former Fulton County police homicide investigator Glenn Kalish, who teamed with Detective Michael Lindstrom to close in on Carter last year.

    Carter is also a "person of interest" in the abduction and death of a 16-year-old girl in Henry County, but he has not been charged.

    Carter told police he would volunteer to work double shifts as a chef to stay busy, sleeping on a little storage room cot and asking his co-workers to keep him from going outside "so I wouldn't do something bad," said Kalish, who is now a Sandy Springs police sergeant.

    "He's psychotic," said Kalish, who has been in law enforcement for 14 years. "Without question, he's the most disturbed person I've ever come across."


    Story Continues..this is just the beginning!
    Last edited by Kimster; 11-06-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: prefix

  2. #2
    tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,012
    From the article:

    "His sister and father sat quietly, but when Carter began to talk, his mother interrupted and told him to hush up and get a lawyer. Kalish said Carter pleaded: "But Mom, I need to tell you." She sternly again told him to be quiet."



    Confession is good for the soul. If my son were sitting there, telling me he had murdered four or more people, I would be crying my eyes out. I would want him to confess and beg for life in prison. I would beg for him. However, I would not tell him to shut up. I would want society to be safe from any more killing by him.

    Perhaps she is why he was killing women.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one. This one is mine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,181
    we often can see something in a family that will help explain how people can turn out. the really scary cases are when we cant find a clue how someone is born a innocent baby and ends up a cold blooded monster.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,288
    Wow-hopefully we can get some GA cases solved soon!!
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    we often can see something in a family that will help explain how people can turn out. the really scary cases are when we cant find a clue how someone is born a innocent baby and ends up a cold blooded monster.
    I think one of the most common issues we see with serial killers is an overbearing mother (or lack of a mother entirely)
    I think his mothers reaction says it all .... Even worse at 39 he listened to her!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,796
    I can see why no one connected a serial killer to these crimes as the MO changed in several of the cases. Some victims were stabbed, another strangled and another shot and was a male. I believe this is a tip of an iceberg as cold case detectives unravel more crimes for which Carter could be responsible.

    Another thing he was all over town....northside to southside involving different police jurisdictions.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,387
    Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson View Post
    I can see why no one connected a serial killer to these crimes as the MO changed in several of the cases. Some victims were stabbed, another strangled and another shot and was a male. I believe this is a tip of an iceberg as cold case detectives unravel more crimes for which Carter could be responsible.

    Another thing he was all over town....northside to southside involving different police jurisdictions.

    If it weren't for the DNA I don't think they would have connected them. I wonder how many there really are, and how many we will never be able to link to him. This will be one to watch.

    Also, he doesn't fit the profile for a serial killer at all, does he?
    http://www.geocities.com/serialkillers101/profile.html


    How close in age is he to Wayne Williams? Maybe outfield.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I think one of the most common issues we see with serial killers is an overbearing mother (or lack of a mother entirely)
    I think his mothers reaction says it all .... Even worse at 39 he listened to her!
    Amraann, you and I agree on a lot here lately. Excellent post!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,796
    Quote Originally Posted by christine2448 View Post
    If it weren't for the DNA I don't think they would have connected them. I wonder how many there really are, and how many we will never be able to link to him. This will be one to watch.

    Also, he doesn't fit the profile for a serial killer at all, does he?
    http://www.geocities.com/serialkillers101/profile.html


    How close in age is he to Wayne Williams? Maybe outfield.

    Wayne Williams was born May 27,1958.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by christine2448 View Post
    Recent killing leads police to possible serial killer
    Chef charged in four murders admitted to doing 'bad things'

    By BETH WARREN
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

    Published on: 08/17/07

    Local chef Charles Lendelle Carter told police he has trouble sleeping at night because he is often haunted by the faces of his victims.

    Police say he has reason to lie awake because he's a serial killer whose crimes have just come to light. When Fulton County police detectives recently solved a homicide, they unwittingly stumbled onto Carter, who they believe hunted victims in at least four counties dating back 15 years.

    And authorities want him to keep talking because they believe there could be even more.

    There's the mother of six who was beaten and strangled the day after Christmas 2005 in Gwinnett County; the Alpharetta mother who was stabbed in 2006 and found when her son returned home from middle school; the man dragged behind a school in DeKalb County in 1992 and riddled with bullets; the Atlanta mother of three who was sexually assaulted and stabbed in 2004, found in her bloodied bed by her teen-age son.

    Carter, 39, is charged with murder in all four of those slayings and faces a death penalty trial in Fulton County for the Atlanta crime. He is due in court next month for pretrial hearings.

    He confessed to the DeKalb County homicide and admitted he has done "bad things," but he asked for a lawyer and pleaded not guilty to the other slayings, said former Fulton County police homicide investigator Glenn Kalish, who teamed with Detective Michael Lindstrom to close in on Carter last year.

    Carter is also a "person of interest" in the abduction and death of a 16-year-old girl in Henry County, but he has not been charged.

    Carter told police he would volunteer to work double shifts as a chef to stay busy, sleeping on a little storage room cot and asking his co-workers to keep him from going outside "so I wouldn't do something bad," said Kalish, who is now a Sandy Springs police sergeant.

    "He's psychotic," said Kalish, who has been in law enforcement for 14 years. "Without question, he's the most disturbed person I've ever come across."


    Story Continues..this is just the beginning!
    I am so glad he is OFF THE STREETS! I'm in Gwinnett. This scares me reading this, he sounds completely crazy! I hope his capture brings some closure to some cases.
    I once was lost, but now I'm found and I don't know how I survived without Milk Bones and fluffy pillows...Frank (a loving rescued dog)


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Quote Originally Posted by BOESP View Post
    Amraann, you and I agree on a lot here lately. Excellent post!

    LOL Yes we do!!! And Thanks! I enjoy your posts as well

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,769

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by MissieMt View Post
    Wow-hopefully we can get some GA cases solved soon!!
    My sentiments exactly!! Glad to hear they have this guy!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    How disgusting that this freak was a chef and what kind of idiots did he work with if it's really true that he slept there and asked them not to let him outside as if he were a werewolf or something. He sort of sounds like he is a master manipulator who is now trying to make himself sound crazy. He was even linked to some of the robbery/murders and not caught.

  14. #14
    I think he should be looked at carefully in many cases and everywhere he lived or worked should be scrutinized for possible victims. It sounds like this guy is responsible for so many more!

    I would like to know if he was ever in Orlando, FL working as a Chef, too. Altho, it sounds like he stayed around Georgia...it would be a question I hope they ask.

    What a sick, demented man! I can't believe no one raised concern over his statements or his behaviors early on!!
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

    A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.



    What I post are my opinions only.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    3,358
    Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    we often can see something in a family that will help explain how people can turn out. the really scary cases are when we cant find a clue how someone is born a innocent baby and ends up a cold blooded monster.
    My theory is that it's not so often the "clues" in the family that cause this, but perhaps a chemical imbalance. If you think about all the terrible childhoods there are - we'd see alot more serial killers if it were how they were raised, I'd think. Plus, knowing one serial killer for the last several years (pen pal) and discussing everything under the sun at length - his mom has a history of mental illness, but his childhood wasn't as lousy as many people's are. From my armchair laboratory, it's GOT to be chemical. :-)

    Interesting thing I'd like to see research on - since MOST serial killers are white guys, perhaps the type of chemical imbalance is run along racial lines (sort of like it's mostly black people who get sickle cell disease - the chemical workings are slightly different in different races.) Now, this guy being a black serial killer really is unique.

    As for his background, I'm not really up on my black man upbringing, not being one myself, but I've been under the impression that most black families have the mother as the person who runs the household - what some might call domineering (if you are white and used to spoiling your kids and being wishy washy, like me). So - if his mom was domineering and he was close to his Mom (mama's boy?) - isn't that typical, and thus not considered a factor in causing this?

    (Correct me if I am wrong - I was told this by some black guys at work when we were discussing Moms one day. I don't want to see his upbringing being blamed if it was the same type upbringing my coworkers have had - who aren't killing anyone that I know of.)
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. PA - Exercise Trail Rape - Fulton County - 21 Aug 2016
    By Richrd in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2016, 05:23 PM
  2. GA GA - Fulton County Unclaimed Cases
    By raine1212 in forum Unclaimed Persons
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 12:35 PM

Tags for this Thread