982 users online (205 members and 777 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Codeine risk for some nursing moms

WASHINGTON - Nursing mothers who take codeine should watch their infants for increased sleepiness or other signs of overdose, federal health officials warned Friday

The Food and Drug Administration warning of the rare but serious side effect was prompted by a 2006 report of the death of a nursing infant whose mother was given codeine for episiotomy pain.

There is a test available to determine if an individual is a rapid metabolizer of codeine, but Kewder said the agency is not currently recommending routine testing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070817/...breast_feeding

If there is a test available why arent they using it? It could save babies. Newborn babies are so sleepy, I can imagine it would be hard to tell if it was normal or not. I cant imagine the guilt the mother must have felt

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Someone needs to ask the agency why they do not recommend routine testing.

Why is this news now? Wouldn't that be like well-duh???

I brestfed both mine...it seems common sense to know anything you put in your body will be fed to your baby.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    I brestfed both mine...it seems common sense to know anything you put in your body will be fed to your baby.
    I know. I don't even have children but I know not to take meds while breastfeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    I was unable to nurse any of my three; however, even in this case, the woman just gave birth. So, she was used to keeping in mind that anything she took the baby took too. So I think it still should have been fresh in the mind. Maybe there was something else wrong with the baby and the codeine just was too much??? Just grasping here. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Squishified View Post
    I know. I don't even have children but I know not to take meds while breastfeeding.
    I had two c-sections and was on percocet daily for two weeks after each - I breastfed the whole time and it never seemed to have the slightest effect on my infants. Of course, codeine metabilizes as morphine; oxycodone (percocet) does not.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    I had two c-sections and was on percocet daily for two weeks after each - I breastfed the whole time and it never seemed to have the slightest effect on my infants. Of course, codeine metabilizes as morphine; oxycodone (percocet) does not.
    I was unable to breastfeed (breast reduction years ago not only that but my daughter refused to latch) but I was given a morphine drip for my emergency c-section. You might not need meds after a regular labor and delivery (not sure since I didnt have that) but I guarantee if you get cut open like I did you will for the first few days.

I have two sil's who breastfed and pain meds did not affect the baby in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP) View Post
    Why is this news now? Wouldn't that be like well-duh???
    Exactly!!!

Not only that but 13 years ago when I had Richie ... They would not give any narcotic based drug to nursing mothers..

I am shocked to learn that any Dr would. There is a foam called epifoam for
    episiotomy pain.

As for c-sections... I really don't know what other pain medications are an option and still allow for breast feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    Exactly!!!

Not only that but 13 years ago when I had Richie ... They would not give any narcotic based drug to nursing mothers..

I am shocked to learn that any Dr would. There is a foam called epifoam for
    episiotomy pain.

As for c-sections... I really don't know what other pain medications are an option and still allow for breast feeding.
    Two of my closest friends who delivered vaginally during the last 6-7 years received some form of narcotic meds (codeine or hydrocodone I would think)) for their episiotomy pain while they were in the hospital. Both of them breastfed and it wasn't a problem.

Maybe MDs are changing form on this, but I believe it has been fairly common. You wouldn't need a lot of narcotic meds for most episiotomies, but a pill or two might certainly be warranted and - at least in my friends's experiences - I never had an episiotomy.

i think we often trust the doctors to know if it is safe. the doctors give this med to women often for this pain and it never seems to be a problem.
    Genetic testing later showed the woman's body converted the codeine to morphine more rapidly and completely than in other people. That led to higher-than-expected morphine levels in her breast milk.
    for this woman something unexpected and unforeseen happened. she took meds the doctors thought would be safe and because of her rare genetic make up it killed her child. to have to live with this must be unbearable. i truly feel for this woman.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    i think we often trust the doctors to know if it is safe. the doctors give this med to women often for this pain and it never seems to be a problem. for this woman something unexpected and unforeseen happened. she took meds the doctors thought would be safe and because of her rare genetic make up it killed her child. to have to live with this must be unbearable. i truly feel for this woman.
    Me too, sherri79 - I think this was a terrible rare sort of tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Two of my closest friends who delivered vaginally during the last 6-7 years received some form of narcotic meds (codeine or hydrocodone I would think)) for their episiotomy pain while they were in the hospital. Both of them breastfed and it wasn't a problem.

Maybe MDs are changing form on this, but I believe it has been fairly common. You wouldn't need a lot of narcotic meds for most episiotomies, but a pill or two might certainly be warranted and - at least in my friends's experiences - I never had an episiotomy.
    Epifoam is more effective for relief of eposiotomy pain then any narcotic ...
    Some hospitals do not make it a standard relief and you have to ask for it.

I just assumed that all dr's would choose a pain relief option that was non-narcotic for breast feeding mothers.

I wasn't given an option, It was put in my iv when I was asleep in recovery. When I woke up they told me to push the button for pain meds before they knew if I planned on breastfeeding, this was 3 1/2 years ago. I also had to lay flat for 12 hours which was one of the hardest things for me and I can imagine not very helpful with breastfeeding.

I know that you need to be aware of everything that is done to you.
    Cytotec is given frequently for inductions and it is known to cause deaths in infants.

http://stopcytotec.com/WECAN_STOP_CYTOTEC.php
    http://www.cytoteccase.com/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    Epifoam is more effective for relief of eposiotomy pain then any narcotic ...
    Some hospitals do not make it a standard relief and you have to ask for it.

I just assumed that all dr's would choose a pain relief option that was non-narcotic for breast feeding mothers.
    When you've had your stomach slit open to get the baby, there is no non-narcotic pain relief! Taking percocet or hydrocodone while breastfeeding is not contraindicated. But those narcotics - while stronger than codeine - are broken down a bit differently in the body than codeine. Certainly some of it would pass to the child, but I've never heard of a case where taking them as prescribed and breastfeeding harmed a child in any way.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast