Codeine risk for some nursing moms

Autumn2004

Inactive
Reaction score
WASHINGTON - Nursing mothers who take codeine should watch their infants for increased sleepiness or other signs of overdose, federal health officials warned Friday

The Food and Drug Administration warning of the rare but serious side effect was prompted by a 2006 report of the death of a nursing infant whose mother was given codeine for episiotomy pain.

There is a test available to determine if an individual is a rapid metabolizer of codeine, but Kewder said the agency is not currently recommending routine testing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070817/ap_on_he_me/codeine_breast_feeding

If there is a test available why arent they using it? It could save babies. Newborn babies are so sleepy, I can imagine it would be hard to tell if it was normal or not. I cant imagine the guilt the mother must have felt :(

Someone needs to ask the agency why they do not recommend routine testing.

I brestfed both mine...it seems common sense to know anything you put in your body will be fed to your baby.

I brestfed both mine...it seems common sense to know anything you put in your body will be fed to your baby.
I know. I don't even have children but I know not to take meds while breastfeeding.

I was unable to nurse any of my three; however, even in this case, the woman just gave birth. So, she was used to keeping in mind that anything she took the baby took too. So I think it still should have been fresh in the mind. Maybe there was something else wrong with the baby and the codeine just was too much??? Just grasping here. . . .

I know. I don't even have children but I know not to take meds while breastfeeding.

I had two c-sections and was on percocet daily for two weeks after each - I breastfed the whole time and it never seemed to have the slightest effect on my infants. Of course, codeine metabilizes as morphine; oxycodone (percocet) does not.

I had two c-sections and was on percocet daily for two weeks after each - I breastfed the whole time and it never seemed to have the slightest effect on my infants. Of course, codeine metabilizes as morphine; oxycodone (percocet) does not.

I was unable to breastfeed (breast reduction years ago not only that but my daughter refused to latch) but I was given a morphine drip for my emergency c-section. You might not need meds after a regular labor and delivery (not sure since I didnt have that) but I guarantee if you get cut open like I did you will for the first few days.

I have two sil's who breastfed and pain meds did not affect the baby in that way.

Why is this news now? Wouldn't that be like well-duh??? :waitasec:

Exactly!!!

Not only that but 13 years ago when I had Richie ... They would not give any narcotic based drug to nursing mothers..

I am shocked to learn that any Dr would. There is a foam called epifoam for
episiotomy pain.

As for c-sections... I really don't know what other pain medications are an option and still allow for breast feeding.

Exactly!!!

Not only that but 13 years ago when I had Richie ... They would not give any narcotic based drug to nursing mothers..

I am shocked to learn that any Dr would. There is a foam called epifoam for
episiotomy pain.

As for c-sections... I really don't know what other pain medications are an option and still allow for breast feeding.

Two of my closest friends who delivered vaginally during the last 6-7 years received some form of narcotic meds (codeine or hydrocodone I would think)) for their episiotomy pain while they were in the hospital. Both of them breastfed and it wasn't a problem.

Maybe MDs are changing form on this, but I believe it has been fairly common. You wouldn't need a lot of narcotic meds for most episiotomies, but a pill or two might certainly be warranted and - at least in my friends's experiences - I never had an episiotomy.

i think we often trust the doctors to know if it is safe. the doctors give this med to women often for this pain and it never seems to be a problem.
Genetic testing later showed the woman's body converted the codeine to morphine more rapidly and completely than in other people. That led to higher-than-expected morphine levels in her breast milk.
for this woman something unexpected and unforeseen happened. she took meds the doctors thought would be safe and because of her rare genetic make up it killed her child. to have to live with this must be unbearable. i truly feel for this woman.

i think we often trust the doctors to know if it is safe. the doctors give this med to women often for this pain and it never seems to be a problem. for this woman something unexpected and unforeseen happened. she took meds the doctors thought would be safe and because of her rare genetic make up it killed her child. to have to live with this must be unbearable. i truly feel for this woman.

Me too, sherri79 - I think this was a terrible rare sort of tragedy.

Two of my closest friends who delivered vaginally during the last 6-7 years received some form of narcotic meds (codeine or hydrocodone I would think)) for their episiotomy pain while they were in the hospital. Both of them breastfed and it wasn't a problem.

Maybe MDs are changing form on this, but I believe it has been fairly common. You wouldn't need a lot of narcotic meds for most episiotomies, but a pill or two might certainly be warranted and - at least in my friends's experiences - I never had an episiotomy.

Epifoam is more effective for relief of eposiotomy pain then any narcotic ...
Some hospitals do not make it a standard relief and you have to ask for it.

I just assumed that all dr's would choose a pain relief option that was non-narcotic for breast feeding mothers.

I wasn't given an option, It was put in my iv when I was asleep in recovery. When I woke up they told me to push the button for pain meds before they knew if I planned on breastfeeding, this was 3 1/2 years ago. I also had to lay flat for 12 hours which was one of the hardest things for me and I can imagine not very helpful with breastfeeding.

I know that you need to be aware of everything that is done to you.
Cytotec is given frequently for inductions and it is known to cause deaths in infants.

http://stopcytotec.com/WECAN_STOP_CYTOTEC.php
http://www.cytoteccase.com/index.htm

Epifoam is more effective for relief of eposiotomy pain then any narcotic ...
Some hospitals do not make it a standard relief and you have to ask for it.

I just assumed that all dr's would choose a pain relief option that was non-narcotic for breast feeding mothers.

When you've had your stomach slit open to get the baby, there is no non-narcotic pain relief! Taking percocet or hydrocodone while breastfeeding is not contraindicated. But those narcotics - while stronger than codeine - are broken down a bit differently in the body than codeine. Certainly some of it would pass to the child, but I've never heard of a case where taking them as prescribed and breastfeeding harmed a child in any way.

I wasn't given an option, It was put in my iv when I was asleep in recovery. When I woke up they told me to push the button for pain meds before they knew if I planned on breastfeeding, this was 3 1/2 years ago. I also had to lay flat for 12 hours which was one of the hardest things for me and I can imagine not very helpful with breastfeeding.

I know that you need to be aware of everything that is done to you.
Cytotec is given frequently for inductions and it is known to cause deaths in infants.

http://stopcytotec.com/WECAN_STOP_CYTOTEC.php
http://www.cytoteccase.com/index.htm

My two c-sections were the most painful medical procedures I have ever had done in my life. That's probably not saying much because I haven't had many medical procedures in my life!

Even ON pain medication, I cried from pain regularly during the first 12-24 hours. Some women I have spoken with have an easier time with it, but I surely did not.

My two c-sections were the most painful medical procedures I have ever had done in my life. That's probably not saying much because I haven't had many medical procedures in my life!

Even ON pain medication, I cried from pain regularly during the first 12-24 hours. Some women I have spoken with have an easier time with it, but I surely did not.

Some people simply have low pain threshholds.
For those women who really feel they need the narcotics I would suggest they pump until the medication is out of their system.
Dr's simply do not know to what extent these medications can affect an infants development. (even years later)
Its simply not worth the risk.. I have known plenty of women who had C-sections and wanted to breastfeed so they took motrin.

Autumn .. How awful that your OB did not tell you of this policy or give you the option!
I would have been very angry!!

I have had 3 C-sections and only breastfed with one of my babies...however...I was given some high powered drugs for the first 3 days (I highly recommend the Morphine drip), but switched to tylenol, motrin, etc. I was never allowed to take a narcotic after he effectively started to nurse. (I did pump before that.) They knew the effects of transference and have for all these 23 years. Why is this just now an issue?

I have had 3 C-sections and only breastfed with one of my babies...however...I was given some high powered drugs for the first 3 days (I highly recommend the Morphine drip), but switched to tylenol, motrin, etc. I was never allowed to take a narcotic after he effectively started to nurse. (I did pump before that.) They knew the effects of transference and have for all these 23 years. Why is this just now an issue?

It's so interesting how different doctors are different. I never had the morphine drip - just percocet in and out of the hospital. And I was always told breastfeeding on that was fine and for me, it was!

I had 2 without the morphine...the last time is the only time I remember the first 3 days. It was great to see photos of me later where I was talking to people and remember it. It took away the immense pain and allowed me to be somewhat clear minded.

My first, I was given dilauded which they found I had a severe allergic reaction to...and was put on seconal (but not allowed to breastfeed on) The second...I honestly don't recall what I was given initially...but I was kept "drugged up" for a couple of days, but that was the one I breastfed and had to go thru the rest in relative pain. The third was a difficult birth and a premie...so they kept me on the morphine for about 3 to 4 days. I was not allowed to breastfeed her because of her condition and mine.

I guess it is up to the Doctor and thank goodness, I had great ones! I still applaud them! I will honestly say...C-sections are like going thru labor for about six weeks as near as I can figure. I get tired of hearing women kvetch about their "hours" of labor!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back