US coal mine collapse traps six-Utah - Thread No. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still no press conference. Local news says they are supposed to get a news conference at 7PM (MDT) or 9PM Eastern time. The 4th bore hole is complete. It takes about 2 hours to withdraw the drill bit from the mountain then a camera & mic will be lowered into the bore hole.

Still no press conference. Local news says they are supposed to get a news conference at 7PM (MDT) or 9PM Eastern time. The 4th bore hole is complete. It takes about 2 hours to withdraw the drill bit from the mountain then a camera & mic will be lowered into the bore hole.

And they need to brief families first.

Thank-you Jeana and RKnowley for the new thread.
Much Respect,
dark_shadows

They keep moving the time. From Noon to Six to Seven and now.........I am not sure there is a time. Is there?
I came here to see if anyone has more information. Its just so quiet.
I guess Fox just said after briefing family members........so sometime tonight I guess. Prayers to the miners.

They keep moving the time. From Noon to Six to Seven and now.........I am not sure there is a time. Is there?
I came here to see if anyone has more information. Its just so quiet.
I guess Fox just said after briefing family members........so sometime tonight I guess. Prayers to the miners.
I just checked msnbc and nothing updated online since yesterday and just turned on FNC after reading your post but they're talking about the storms. I really am hoping that they're still alive, but does anyone know if miners in other collapses have survived this long? I really don't know much about the subject!

On Geraldo now ~ 4th hole has been drilled. He said the press conference has been postponed but the caption on the bottom of the screen still says they're awaiting it. A guest expert, former mining safety administrator, says it's a hard call to make when to give up on the trapped miners. :(

Aug 18, 2007 5:28 pm US/Mountain
Latest Drill Hole Into Coal Mine Completed

(KUTV) HUNTINGTON - With underground rescue operations halted and the fate of six miners still a mystery, officials on Saturday hoped a fourth borehole drilled deep into a collapsed mine would finally provide clues to whether the men were alive.

Rescuers stopped tunneling through a collapsed mine passageway after three among their ranks were killed and six others injured by coal sent flying by a mountain ``bump,'' or shift in rock layers. That left the focus on a drill crew boring through nearly 1,600 feet of rock to reach an area of the mine where the missing men might have retreated.

Workers broke through Saturday afternoon and were preparing to lower a camera into the void, hoping for any sign of the men who have been missing since the Aug. 6 cave-in at the Crandall Canyon mine.

``We've had no problem. We got through sooner than we expected,'' said Richard Kulczewski, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Labor.

A news conference was pushed back to 9 p.m. EDT to give officials time to meet with family members about what the camera shows them.

Rescuers planned to send signals down the 8 1/2-inch hole _ rapping on the steel drill bit in hopes the miners would respond. If the men are alive, the hole could be used to deliver food and water to them.

More at link: http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_218103238.html

I thought I read USA Today a few days ago, and didn't a miner survive 12 days once?

It's heartbreaking, but I just don't think there's much hope at this point, especially if it's too dangerous and they can't get into the mine.

Does anyone know, do the miners have life insurance? To pay for the families left behind?

Edited to add - I just read the above post and it sounds like they could find out something tonite!

Hang in there...its not over till its over

I'm hoping their news conference brings some good news!

17%O2
1414'--------------1586'----------------1865'------------------------
3rd----------------4th------------------2nd---------------------------rescue
Hole---------------Hole-----------------Hole--------------------------workers
CC147-<-520'->--CC143-<-780'->-----CC137-----<-1100'->---------CC128
there's 130 feet between crosscuts

where they had planned to put the 4th bore hole before they heard the noises? Why had they planned on putting the 4th bore hole in that location? What was it based on?

where they had planned to put the 4th bore hole before they heard the noises? Why had they planned on putting the 4th bore hole in that location? What was it based on?

RKnowley,
I'm not really certain......except MSHA guy stated they felt the air quality would be best at that area. They took maps of the mines & decided this would be where the air quality was survivable or at least 17% & water.

Hopefully if there was another reason someone else will post it. I was watching the newborn granddaughter & she kept me busy so I missed a great deal of the conferences this wk. Sorry!

Thank you cheko1. I sure wish they would get on with tonight's press conference. They keep delaying it.

Congrats on your new granddaughter! Enjoy her while you can. They grow up so fast!

RKnowley,
I'm not really certain......except MSHA guy stated they felt the air quality would be best at that area. They took maps of the mines & decided this would be where the air quality was survivable or at least 17% & water.

Hopefully if there was another reason someone else will post it. I was watching the newborn granddaughter & she kept me busy so I missed a great deal of the conferences this wk. Sorry!

Thank you cheko1. I sure wish they would get on with tonight's press conference. They keep delaying it.

Congrats on your new granddaughter! Enjoy her while you can. They grow up so fast!

Thank you & trust me I do enjoy her.....I can spoil her then send her home! :blushing: Very guilty of that!

Yes this isn't making much sense unless its bad news!
They've postponed it alot already. I thought maybe they were giving the families a chance to clear out & go home. So they never had to deal with the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie