China; 181 coal miners trapped

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
Pumps Draining Flooded China Coal Mine, 181 Miners Trapped

XINTAI, China — Pumps began working Sunday to drain a flooded coal mine where 172 miners have been trapped underground for two days in shafts filled with water estimated at more than 60 feet deep. Nine more miners were trapped in a second flooded shaft in the area.
Access to the main flooded mine was blocked, and there was no indication whether the miners were still alive or how long it would take to pump out the water. About 60 angry relatives crowded the gates of a company compound, complaining no information had been released — not even a list of the names of the trapped miners.
"No one has said anything about what is happening," said Li Chuanmei, whose 42-year-old brother was missing.

"They have not said if there are any survivors. They are treating these people like they are sacrificial goods. You would think an official would come out to tell us what is going on, whether there are any signs of life, whether they are dead or live," she said.
The miners have been trapped since Friday afternoon when a dike on the Wen river burst, sending water rushing into the Huayuan Mining Co. mine, stranding 172 miners. Nine more miners were trapped in a nearby mine shaft. Both are about 370 miles southeast of Beijing.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Another mining tragedy. Let's hope they make quick progress in rescuing the miners.

Oh Lord, that number is so high. I realize anyone lost is sad, but to lose 181 in one fell sweep..... :(

My heart goes out to the miners family and friends.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Oh, how horrible!!!! China doesn't take responsibility for anything nor do they treat their people with respect on a daily basis...so why would they expect anything more in a disaster?

Here at least...we can speak out against the government and voice strongly our opinions of the way things are handled after such a disaster. They try to accomodate the families in the best way they can. Thank Goodness we live in the USA!

With the dike breaking and the subsequent flooding occurring...it sounds like no preventative safety measures would have helped. However, the way they are treating the families is terrible. How very sad.

I will pray for the families and the miners whose lives were lost in such a horrific way. Bless them all.

Oh my gosh how very sad, totally heartbreaking.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294703,00.html

BEIJING — Two Chinese brothers clawed their way out of a collapsed coal mine after surviving underground for nearly six days, shocking grieving relatives who had burned money for the men's souls to use in the afterlife, state media said Monday.

Some good mining news. :)

WOW.

(Seems my message is too short so I'm adding this so it will post!)

What a miracle! Wonder if any other miners will try to make it?

Wow! That shows amazing strength and determination. They are survivors. How blessed their families are!

I do hope this won't give false hope to our miners' families. It was only six days for them. It has been weeks here. <sigh> They needed a miracle and it happened...but not to their miners so far. Nor do I expect it to happen, but I am glad it happened somewhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back