1079 users online (268 members and 811 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

AR - Father Accused of shooting, paralyzing daughter's boyfriend in closet

link

BENTONVILLE, Ark. A man accused of shooting and paralyzing his daughter's boyfriend has been charged with first-degree battery and a terroristic act.
    George David Reed, 48, of Highfill was arrested July 31 in the shooting of Michael Austin Guzman, 19.
    Reed was charged Friday in Benton County Circuit Court and is free on a $150,000 bond. His arraignment is set for Sept. 10.
    Authorities say Reed came home and found Guzman hiding in the closet of his 17-year-old daughter's bedroom. Police said Reed beat Guzman with a pool stick, then left the room to retrieve a gun. Guzman and his girlfriend blocked the bedroom door with a dresser, and Reed began shooting through the door, police said
    Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

Yikes! The father was probably following through on a threat made to the boy, something like, "If I catch you in my daughter's room one more time, I am going to kill you."

In all seriousness, this is a bit extreme. It is his daughter that he needed to control. She was allowing the boy into her bedroom. With the father's impulsive and over-the-top actions, he has ruined several lives, to include his own.

His defense may be that he thought that he was half asleep and thought that it was an intruder.

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim View Post
    Yikes! The father was probably following through on a threat made to the boy, something like, "If I catch you in my daughter's room one more time, I am going to kill you."

In all seriousness, this is a bit extreme. It is his daughter that he needed to control. She was allowing the boy into her bedroom. With the father's impulsive and over-the-top actions, he has ruined several lives, to include his own.

His defense may be that he thought that he was half asleep and thought that it was an intruder.
    beat Guzman with a pool stick, then left the room to retrieve a gun.
    in the time it takes to go get the gun after you beat the kid already he should be good and awake.

Where do they get "terrorist" act?

I understand what he did was horrific and he should never have done any of it...but "terrorist act" seems like a stretch in this case. If they misuse this to nail common criminals...it is going to lose its bite when being used against real threats, IMO.

Shooting through the door with his daughter on the other side tells me he was out to kill either one of them or both. He showed reckless endangerment, at the very least. Why not charge him with attempted murder or for similar instead of battery? Surely, there are other ways to go about locking this hothead up for a long time!

The boyfriend was wrong in being there, the daughter was wrong in allowing it, but no one deserves to spend life as a quadraplegic or paraplegic because they thought they were in "love" and wanting to spend time together.

I caught a teenager outside my daughter's window once in the middle of the night. I made him come inside and explained he could be mistaken for a burglar...then I kept them both up all night long watching movies, playing video games with ME...until I sent him home at daylight. I called his father and suggested a "chore list" which would wear him out even more that day! He began removing a stump in the yard about an hour later! In the meantime, my daughter's chore list was in effect. Needless to say, they were too tired to "sneak" around the next night and I never found him lurking about in my bushes again. LMAO Hmmm...he did end up marrying her several years later tho...probably as payback to me now that I think about it as he turned into a bad ex-SIL!
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

if this was his 12 year old daughter or a 30 year old boyfriend i could maybe wrap my head around this. he shot through the door!!! he was willing to risk shooting his own child in the rage from finding 2 teenagers having sex???

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post

I understand what he did was horrific and he should never have done any of it...but "terrorist act" seems like a stretch in this case. If they misuse this to nail common criminals...it is going to lose its bite when being used against real threats, IMO.
    i know i have read that term used for years and years when talking about a threat then a beating like in many domestic violence cases. maybe the legal term is different than what we think of in a post 9/11 world.

Smile

Shooting through the door with his daughter on the other side tells me he was out to kill either one of them or both. He showed reckless endangerment, at the very least. Why not charge him with attempted murder or for similar instead of battery? Surely, there are other ways to go about locking this hothead up for a long time!

The boyfriend was wrong in being there, the daughter was wrong in allowing it, but no one deserves to spend life as a quadraplegic or paraplegic because they thought they were in "love" and wanting to spend time together.

I caught a teenager outside my daughter's window once in the middle of the night. I made him come inside and explained he could be mistaken for a burglar...then I kept them both up all night long watching movies, playing video games with ME...until I sent him home at daylight. I called his father and suggested a "chore list" which would wear him out even more that day! He began removing a stump in the yard about an hour later! In the meantime, my daughter's chore list was in effect. Needless to say, they were too tired to "sneak" around the next night and I never found him lurking about in my bushes again. LMAO Hmmm...he did end up marrying her several years later tho...probably as payback to me now that I think about it as he turned into a bad ex-SIL!
    Seriously Searching, i love this idea of yours! Most teens would be embarrassed to have to watch movies all night with a parent and their boyfriend. You have some wonderfully creative parenting, i love it!

I was never known to be a "conventional parent". LOL Even the teachers I set up with my ideas seemed to be skeptical, but they would go along with my "practices" as I was trying to do the best for my children. LOL Did I mention I am an artist?! I have a different idea for everything it seems! >wink<
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

Not trying to be funny here but my husband is always making ''threats'' such as this when it comes to our teenage daughter. He actually held up traffic one time when he saw my daughter walking on the sidewalk to the store with a boy she knew from school he slammed his breaks in the middle of the road got out of the car and had a few words with the boy and made our daughter get in the car with him..I hope he never takes it to this level now this got me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    i know i have read that term used for years and years when talking about a threat then a beating like in many domestic violence cases. maybe the legal term is different than what we think of in a post 9/11 world.
    I don't think so. I think "terrorist act" came directly from 9-11 and the laws which went into effect from there. LE is starting to apply them to such circumstances as they can. I find this very troubling. The legal system already has too much leeway and they should not incorporate anything including "terrorist acts" into ANYTHING that has nothing to do with actual terrorist acts!
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirlsadie View Post
    Not trying to be funny here but my husband is always making ''threats'' such as this when it comes to our teenage daughter. He actually held up traffic one time when he saw my daughter walking on the sidewalk to the store with a boy she knew from school he slammed his breaks in the middle of the road got out of the car and had a few words with the boy and made our daughter get in the car with him..I hope he never takes it to this level now this got me thinking.
    This is how my father was. He would also make threats and guys were afraid to come to the house. He was worse with my sisters than he was with me, the oldest girl.

Anyway, my father had a rifle that he would threaten the guys with, etc. I don't think that it was loaded. However, most kids knew not to mess with my father.

IMO, he never would have done what this guy did. He would have called the police. This kid was trespassing and would have gotten into trouble. The father was an idiot and handled it the wrong way. I truly believe that the daughter and the boyfriend knew that this guy had a volatile temper.

I don't think so. I think "terrorist act" came directly from 9-11 and the laws which went into effect from there. LE is starting to apply them to such circumstances as they can. I find this very troubling. The legal system already has too much leeway and they should not incorporate anything including "terrorist acts" into ANYTHING that has nothing to do with actual terrorist acts!
    I agree 100% ... I do not like the use of the term as I believe when terrorist laws are used to charge someone it also elliminates certain rights another charge would not. It is a clear abuse of the law.

I remember my daughter's first date. He showed up in this teeshirt depicting the 3 blind mice in sexual positions. Until I got close to him..I commented on how cute it was he had a shirt with them "dancing". LOL I then took a different attitude...and took him aside. I asked him if he ever saw the movie, "Misery". He said he had. I smiled and mentioned how horrid it was about the scene where she took a sledge hammer to his ankles. I said, "Wasn't that a horrible thing to do to anyone?" (He was captain of the basketball team.) Then I reinforced the time he was to bring my daughter home. They returned early.

Of course, two weeks later when he stood my daughter up and I had to listen to her cry for two days straight...he went ahead and tried to come back. I hauled up this huge sledge hammer from the basement and set it beside the tv...where they were watching movies for the night. hehehe Got the point across...he was never disrespectful or dishonest with her again. (He also mentioned that to me later on in a positive way. He told me I was a very smart mom.)

I didn't NEED a Dad to create fear for abusing my girls!~
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

maybe you are right. i did not have long to research but the legal term i found that was used pre 9/11 was Terroristic Threat used in domestic violence cases. maybe terrorist act is different.

Sorry, Sherri..not trying to mince words! Just stating that laws that were inacted after 9-11 should not be used for such. Neither should laws pre-911~ We need to save those to help the people they are supposed to not only protect, but to put away those that are really endangering lives.
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast