Tots getting internet identity at birth

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070821/ap_on_hi_te/business_of_life

(I struggled with where to put this article!)

A small but growing number of parents are getting domain names for their young kids, long before they can do more than peck aimlessly at a keyboard.
It's not known exactly how many, but the practice is no longer limited to parents in Web design or information technology.
They worry that the name of choice might not be available by the time their babies become teens or adults, just as someone claimed the ".com" for Britney Spears' 11-month-old son before she could.
The trend hints at the potential importance of domain names in establishing one's future digital identity.
Think of how much a typical teen's online life now revolves around Facebook or News Corp.'s MySpace. Imagine if one day the domain could take you directly to those social-networking profiles, blogs, photo albums and more.
"It is the starting point for your online identity," said Warren Adelman, president of registration company GoDaddy.com Inc., which sells basic domain name packages for about $9 a year. "We do believe the domain name is the foundation upon which all the other Internet services are based." (Sooo much more at the link)

IMO I think this is nuts! :silenced:

Crazy!!

Mainly because we all encourage our children to not post who they really are online!

Crazy!!

Mainly because we all encourage our children to not post who they really are online!

You're seeing this too narrow... it is for their use when THEY are adults! If you don't get it now and it's gone, it's gone for good. It's like something they can have when they turn 18.

;) ;)

You're seeing this too narrow... it is for their use when THEY are adults! If you don't get it now and it's gone, it's gone for good. It's like something they can have when they turn 18.

;) ;)

I saw nothing saying it was strictly for when they are adults??

Also many adults do not use their real names online either.
And I dispute that it is gone forever. Many domain names become available all the time.
People register them .. then do not use them .. then let the registration laps.

I saw nothing saying it was strictly for when they are adults??

Also many adults do not use their real names online either.
And I dispute that it is gone forever. Many domain names become available all the time.
People register them .. then do not use them .. then let the registration laps.

:eek: :eek: I was only joking! See the ;)'s at the bottom?

:)

:eek: :eek: I was only joking! See the ;)'s at the bottom?

:)

OH!! hahahahaha!!! I am such a blonde!!!! Forgive me!!

I am lacking caffeine today!!!

Off to make coffee! And attend a meeting will be back later: )
Hopefully more alert!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back