Thread: Potty-training toddler dies after severe beating

Potty-training toddler dies after severe beating

Potty-training toddler dies after severe beating
    The Cincinnati Enquirer

CINCINNATI -- Seventeen-year-old Derris Smith was trying to toilet train his live-in girlfriend's 18-month-old son when he beat the child to death in their Fay Apartments home last week, Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said. Malakai Glenn was taken to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center on Wednesday after suffering a severe beating that included injuries from being thrown against a wall, Deters said

Police say the toddler died Sunday.

"(Smith) expressed frustration over toilet training," Deters said. "It is not unusual that children are not ready at this age. What is unusual is that a child is beaten to death over it.".......

"Without question, if he was an adult we would be seeking the death penalty," Deters said
    http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/...D=200770703009

How horrific. I just breaks my heart that a child should suffer so much.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    OMG! Potty training takes a lot of patience which this guy clearly did not have. Shame on the mother for allowing this live-in boyfriend to be alone with her child.

From the article linked above:

The child's 20-year-old mother, who has not been identified, is under investigation, Deters said.

"I don't understand the need to have a man in your life so badly you are willing to place the safety of your own child at risk," Deters said. "(Smith) should not have been left alone with this child."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewingDeb For This Useful Post:

This is the same thing that happened a few months ago...I believe the bf was 18. WTH is wrong with these women who leave child rearing up to their boyfriends???????????? It would take a lot for me even to let someone take care of my dogs! The mother needs to be in jail too. Stories like this sicken me!!!

Eighteen months old. Damn.

My DS is 17 years old, same age as the boyfriend. He reads to his baby sister.

I just can't wrap my mind around this

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    This is the same thing that happened a few months ago...I believe the bf was 18. WTH is wrong with these women who leave child rearing up to their boyfriends???????????? It would take a lot for me even to let someone take care of my dogs! The mother needs to be in jail too. Stories like this sicken me!!!
    And then to add that these boyfriends are in many cases barely of legal age? In this case the mom was 20 and her boyfriend 17. I see a few more problems here: why do these women insist on having another child raising their kids, and isn't a 20 yr. old with a 17 yr. old considered illegal (to say the least)?

Eh, guess it all boils down to WTH is WRONG with people????????

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    I think this is the same story, it is dated July 3.

I think this was already posted a few weeks ago. Still sad, an 18 month old boy most likely is not even ready to be potty trained. I hope this loser gets the death penalty.
    RIP Liana Sandoval, Kelsey Briggs, and Baby P.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nocgirl For This Useful Post:

Well in a way I'm glad it's an old story.... all we need is more of this happening... not.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
    OMG! Potty training takes a lot of patience which this guy clearly did not have. Shame on the mother for allowing this live-in boyfriend to be alone with her child.

From the article linked above:

The child's 20-year-old mother, who has not been identified, is under investigation, Deters said.

"I don't understand the need to have a man in your life so badly you are willing to place the safety of your own child at risk," Deters said. "(Smith) should not have been left alone with this child."

Doesn't it almost always seem as if this happens time and time again at the hands of a non-parent...

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Yes, it does. Sad that children are put in that type of situation by their mothers.

Teen sentenced to life but could get out in 31 years
    http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp...nav=menu73_2_2

You know I have so many fond memories of potty training my kidlets ... how sad

Life on earth is too short a sentence. Suffering for eternity is what he deserves.

Derris Smith

Jury Trial - Guilty
    Sentence Date: 02/12/2008

Offense: Murder
    Sentence: 15 years - Life

Offense: Felonious Assault
    Sentence: 8 years

Offense: Child Endangerment
    Sentence: 8 years

Sentences are consecutive.

Minimum Release Date: 06/19/2038
    1st Parole Hearing: 05/2038

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Belinda For This Useful Post:

at LEAST he didnt get some BS manslaughter out in 4 years crap...

...still. stupid mom! any charges for her? why isnt sheer unadulterated stupidity a crime?

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 2goldfish For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 2goldfish View Post
    at LEAST he didnt get some BS manslaughter out in 4 years crap...

...still. stupid mom! any charges for her? why isnt sheer unadulterated stupidity a crime?
    I dunno, but it certainly should be!

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post: