Arizona School Suspends 13-Year-Old Boy for Drawing Gun

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294145,00.html

MESA, Arizona — Officials at an Arizona school suspended a 13-year-old boy for sketching what looked like a gun, saying the action posed a threat to his classmates.
The boy's parents said the drawing was a harmless doodle and school officials overreacted.
"The school made him feel like he committed a crime. They are doing more damage than good," said the boy's mother, Paula Mosteller.
The drawing did not show blood, bullets, injuries or target any human, the parents said. And the East Valley Tribune reported that the boy said he did not intend for the picture to be a threat.

I have warned my own son about drawing anything that might set someone at school off. He's got a great imagination and sometimes boys like to draw war scenes or fighting scenes-pokemon style.

It's a shame because I think some schools over-react about this stuff.

Can anyone tell from the drawing what type of gun it is supposed to be and what the thing hanging down ? It's not a very good drawing.

I thought it was a dead person upside down. ? (Like laying on the ground after being shot.)

Looks like the part where the trigger is. Not a very good drawing, I agree. Just exactly how many people did they think he was going to kill with a paper gun that looks like an out-of-whack schoolbus?:waitasec: I think the 'crime in the news' here is the school's reaction and the art teacher.

Gives new meaning to the phrase:
"Draw your gun"

JBean you are so funny! That cracked me up.

I guess my joke would have been funnier if I had paid attention to where this was posted, I thought it was in 'crimes in the news'.... lol

JBean you are so funny! That cracked me up.

I guess my joke would have been funnier if I had paid attention to where this was posted, I thought it was in 'crimes in the news'.... lol

Oh, I chuckled at that and didn't even realize this wasn't in that forum! lol :p

Ridiculous!!!! I better talk to my 12 year old today when he gets home!

I'd feel a lot better about the schools if they were so quick to act when the TEACHERS do stuff that is inappropriate or threatening. They seem fine to wait until some kid actually gets hurt in those cases.

Sorry, up all night in the ER with my son and I'm a little cranky today. (He's OK, ear infection...)

Another knee-jerk reaction.

Seems like they would talk to the kid and his parents, find out if he's got a hit list or asses any threat and then give him a warning and let him know WHY his actions, while not wrong, can scare people in this day and age of school shootings. Kids just don't think about the bigger picture when they are doodling. It would be a stronger lesson than making him angry and defensive with authority in schools.

Crazy.

Common sense isn't common anymore.

My son is 8 and he came home with drawings of skulls and motorcycles after seeing Ghostrider. I was like did your teacher see that, okay, lets do those drawings at home. I could see them calling his parents but suspending him is a bit much.

When I was a kid the boys in my classes drew battles with tanks and soldiers (with guns, of course) and bodies everywhere. Lordy, if this rule had been in effect there would have been no boys at my school!

When I was a kid the boys in my classes drew battles with tanks and soldiers (with guns, of course) and bodies everywhere. Lordy, if this rule had been in effect there would have been no boys at my school!
Mr E, Did they have kids going to school massacring (sp?) classmates back then?
I think that schools now days are damned if they do something and damned if they don't....I personally am glad they sided the way they did.

It didn't even look like a gun to me. Looked like a school building with an extended driveway. No way that drawing is a danger to anyone. Now if he had a list of people he was going to kill or pictures of people who had been shot, I might get upset. I think the teacher and the principal who would suspend a student over something like this need some training in recognizing what is a danger before they over react again. Poor child. Got the same treatment someone who brought a real weapon would get. Shame on that teacher and principal. For Pete's sake, people, use common sense. Don't see a boogeyman behind every door.

My son is always drawing pictures of my brother (his uncle) in Iraq, and we send them. My bro thinks its cute, he has him and his whole crew with their tanks and guns. Good Lord, School is starting I better talk to him.

I think that zero tolerance rules that schools have in place have gone completely overboard. While they're wasting time on this b.s., some serious problems are being overlooked.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294145,00.html

MESA, Arizona — Officials at an Arizona school suspended a 13-year-old boy for sketching what looked like a gun, saying the action posed a threat to his classmates.
The boy's parents said the drawing was a harmless doodle and school officials overreacted.
"The school made him feel like he committed a crime. They are doing more damage than good," said the boy's mother, Paula Mosteller.
The drawing did not show blood, bullets, injuries or target any human, the parents said. And the East Valley Tribune reported that the boy said he did not intend for the picture to be a threat.
Ok...this is just stupid and totally overboard!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back