1169 users online (221 members and 948 guests)  

Websleuths News

Mail carrier attacked by police dog

Boy, does this sound familiar. Hey, sassy, how's your hubby recovering from his attack?

LEBANON, Ind. -- Dogs may be natural adversaries of postal carriers, but Joe Luckey couldn't have been prepared for an attack by a police animal.

Luckey was working his route when Erik, the Lebanon Police Department's 7-year-old German shepherd, ran for him Tuesday, startling the mailman and the dog's handler.

The dog bit his face and neck and barely missed his jugular vein.

"I was thinking, 'Boy, this is really going to hurt. I don't know how bad, but this is really going to hurt,'" Luckey told 6News' Ray Cortopassi on Wednesday.

The dog was with his longtime, off-duty handler, Officer Dave VanBaale, when it ran to Luckey. Police said the attack was unprovoked, and that the dog disregarded VanBaale's commands to stop.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/13954177/detail.html

Egads a police dog no less. Horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrity View Post
    Boy, does this sound familiar. Hey, sassy, how's your hubby recovering from his attack?

LEBANON, Ind. -- Dogs may be natural adversaries of postal carriers, but Joe Luckey couldn't have been prepared for an attack by a police animal.

Luckey was working his route when Erik, the Lebanon Police Department's 7-year-old German shepherd, ran for him Tuesday, startling the mailman and the dog's handler.

The dog bit his face and neck and barely missed his jugular vein.

"I was thinking, 'Boy, this is really going to hurt. I don't know how bad, but this is really going to hurt,'" Luckey told 6News' Ray Cortopassi on Wednesday.

The dog was with his longtime, off-duty handler, Officer Dave VanBaale, when it ran to Luckey. Police said the attack was unprovoked, and that the dog disregarded VanBaale's commands to stop.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/13954177/detail.html
    Why is nobody screaming for this dog to be put down? He just missed this man's jugular vein and he has attacked before?

The fact that the dog ignored his handler's commands is very troubling. In the first case of this dog biting someone, there was at least some provocation which might explain it. He obviously doesn't have the temperament to be doing police work.

Quote Originally Posted by imthemom View Post
    Why is nobody screaming for this dog to be put down? He just missed this man's jugular vein and he has attacked before?
    Maybe they will.
    I was attacked, unprovoked, by a Great Dane. I still bear the scars. But putting her down was never even a consideration. So I am not sure what the criteria is. They just kept her to check for rabies and then let her go back to her owner.

"Facial reconstructive surgery"--pretty awful--This dog is too dangerous and needs to be destroyed immediately--ignoring the stop command is alarming to say the least--poor mailman just trying to deliver the mail

I think they should hold the dog for the alloted time , then have it put to sleep. A dog that attacks like that whether it be a police dog or just a plain dog makes no difference.
    They should be thankful it wasn't a small child he attacked.

This dog needs to be put down. It nearly killed this man. I have no doubt that it WILL kill someone in the future. Too risky if you ask me.

Made me shiver to even think about it. He is doing much better. Still has a large knot on one side of his nose, and they injected it with steroids last week when he saw her. Here is a link to see a picture of Mailman V Shepherd. You can see how much damage was done to his face. He looks great here was all sewn up and looking pretty by the time this picture was taken. http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a17...untitled-1.jpg
    Save the Earth! It is the only planet with chocolate.

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet.
    ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrity View Post
    The fact that the dog ignored his handler's commands is very troubling. In the first case of this dog biting someone, there was at least some provocation which might explain it. He obviously doesn't have the temperament to be doing police work.
    Absolutely! He needs to be retired. Not all dogs have the temperment to be put to work.

Police intend to re-examine the animal's training and get it checked medically.

Indeed, and this should have been done already on the previous incident.

Not all Police Dogs are trained by reputable outfits or even those with a mentionable track record.

Obviously, this dog should be taken out of service immediately and permanently. As well, the PD might be well-advised to seek another trainer, particularly if the dog has no 'issues' upon vet exam to suggest why he would behave in this manner.

Well wishes to Mr Luckey for a speedy and full recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by sassy_texasbelle2 View Post
    Made me shiver to even think about it. He is doing much better. Still has a large knot on one side of his nose, and they injected it with steroids last week when he saw her. Here is a link to see a picture of Mailman V Shepherd. You can see how much damage was done to his face. He looks great here was all sewn up and looking pretty by the time this picture was taken. http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a17...untitled-1.jpg
    Sassy, I'm glad your hubby is on the mend. He looks pretty rough when that picture was taken. Ouch!! The mailman in thie story got off much easier than your mailman.