US coal mine collapse traps six-Utah - Thread No. 3

Earthbound Misfit I

Justice for Kimberly Shawn Cheatham
Reaction score
SewingDeb, I agree. I sympathize with all involved in this terrible tragedy.

Senate seeks files, sets hearing

Mine probe: Congress begins Crandall Canyon cave-in investigation
By Thomas Burr
The Salt Lake Tribune

Article Last Updated: 08/23/2007 11:17:48 AM MDT

WASHINGTON - The chairman of the U.S. Senate committee that oversees workplace safety today sought a massive load of documents relating to Utah's Crandall Canyon Mine.

That request, made to the Department of Labor, comes as congressional scrutiny begins of the coal mine where three rescue workers died last week, and six miners remained trapped and feared dead.

Meanwhile, another congressional committee has already scheduled the first of what could be many hearings on the mine disaster.

A Senate Appropriations subcommittee set a hearing for the day after the chamber resumes session, Sept. 5. It has asked for testimony by Richard Stickler, head of the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration; Bob Murray, the co-owner of the Utah mine; and Cecil Roberts, head of the United Mine Workers of America.

In preparation for what could be another hearing, Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., who heads the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, asked Labor Secretary Elaine Chao for a laundry list of documents.

Among them are any petitions to change the mining plan at the site, and any inspections performed in the mine - along with any notes or memos between the mine operators and Mine Safety and Health Administration officials.

More at link: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6699009

Governor rips mine owner
By Glen Warchol
The Salt Lake Tribune

Article Last Updated: 08/23/2007 12:07:30 PM MDT

Bob Murray's treatment of the families of miners trapped in the Crandall Canyon mine was "unconscionable," says Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr.

"There ought to be some modicum of respect for their human dignity in those cases and what [victims' families] are experiencing," Huntsman says.

Although he avoided using mine owner Murray's name, Huntsman made it clear his criticism was aimed at the outspoken chief executive of Murray Energy.

"The federal folks did everything they could, let me put it that," Huntsman said. "I'm not going to get into the mine owner other than to say I thought the way the families were treated was unconscionable and they deserved better."

Six coal miners are believed dead and it is likely their bodies will be entombed in the Emery County mine. Three rescuers were killed while trying to reach the miners.

Murray has accused Huntsman of "playing politics" with his call for an independent state investigation of the tragedy and for ordering safety inspections of Murray's other mines.

"No one is playing politics with this situation," Huntsman says. "People are just trying to help with the families."

More at link: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6699313

1414'--------------1586'------------1700'--------1865'------------2039'------------
3rd----------------4th---------------6th----------2nd--------------5th---------------rescue
Hole---------------Hole-------------Hole---------Hole-------------Hole--------------workers
CC147-<-520'->-CC143-<-520'->-CC139<260'>CC137-<-520'->-CC133-<-780'->-CC127
there's 130 feet between crosscuts
Oxygen Levels not sufficient to sustain life.

The sixth hole is to be drilled 1700' where the miners were last known to be working; this hole will be towards CC139.

Drilling Started on Final Borehole
August 23rd, 2007 @ 12:32pm
Read it in Spanish

Ashley Hayes Reporting

Crews have started drilling a sixth and final hole today at the Crandall Canyon mine.

The move comes after tests done in a fifth drill hole found only six inches of space, meaning no one could have survived in that area.

The final hole is being drilled in the same area as the first two holes. That is the area where crews were working on Aug. 6 when the mine collapsed.
Once tests are completed in that final hole, Murray Energy will completely seal off the Crandall Canyon mine. Workers at this mine are being transferred to two mines Murray owns in Carbon County.

That announcement caused increased frustration among the friends and family of the missing miners.
Stephanie McNeil is a friend of Manuel Sanchez. She said, "What is this showing for other miners? That they are going to leave you there. It isn't fair, and it doesn't give other miners hope."

Much of the frustration has been aimed at mine owner Bob Murray. In a written statement the families accuse him of delivering the news Monday night that the six miners were dead, without tact or respect. Just last night friends of the miners posted signs outside the mine, protesting Murray's belief it is too dangerous to send anyone into the mine to recover the miner's bodies.

More at link: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1683853

Is there anyone that can say for certain how long these miners could survive? Is it really possible after all this time they could be alive?

TIA
Jubie

They are still 6 days shy of the record of 23 days.

Drilling Started on Final Borehole
August 23rd, 2007 @ 12:32pm
Read it in Spanish

Ashley Hayes Reporting

Crews have started drilling a sixth and final hole today at the Crandall Canyon mine.

The move comes after tests done in a fifth drill hole found only six inches of space, meaning no one could have survived in that area.

The final hole is being drilled in the same area as the first two holes. That is the area where crews were working on Aug. 6 when the mine collapsed.
Once tests are completed in that final hole, Murray Energy will completely seal off the Crandall Canyon mine. Workers at this mine are being transferred to two mines Murray owns in Carbon County.

That announcement caused increased frustration among the friends and family of the missing miners.
Stephanie McNeil is a friend of Manuel Sanchez. She said, "What is this showing for other miners? That they are going to leave you there. It isn't fair, and it doesn't give other miners hope."

Much of the frustration has been aimed at mine owner Bob Murray. In a written statement the families accuse him of delivering the news Monday night that the six miners were dead, without tact or respect. Just last night friends of the miners posted signs outside the mine, protesting Murray's belief it is too dangerous to send anyone into the mine to recover the miner's bodies.

More at link: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1683853

After reading the statement from the families words can never say how disgusted I am at Murray he is a sorry excuse of a human being!

He deserves not a ounce of sympathy from anyone!
With Rob Moore & Mr Stickler not upholding Murray for his ignorant behavior & Murray to be told to stay away from the families that says alot.
I anxiously await the news conference from the families tonight. Them poor people deserve to be heard. Murray has even blamed the families of the 6 miners for the injuries & death of the 3 rescue workers.

Mine Officials Unable to Retrieve Information from Fifth Hole
August 23rd, 2007 @ 5:02pm
Read it in Spanish

AP Photo/Rick Bowmer

Sam Penrod Reporting
It has now been 18 days since the collapse at the Crandall Canyon mine and it seems all of the efforts to bring it to a resolution for the families are over.

KSL News has just learned that the fifth hole, which punched into the mine yesterday, brought back no new information other than the area is full of rubble.

In fact, the Mine Safety and Health Administration gave a brief update telling media that as they attempted to send a camera into the mine, but they could not see anything because the hole was plugged with mud.
They were also unable to get any air samples out of the mine.

It's yet the latest bad news as the families of the six miners hold onto hope that there might be any indication about what happened to them.

The families continue to be upset with how the situation has been handled lately, especially with what they heard from mine owner Bob Murray on Monday night. He informed them the miners may never be recovered.

More at link: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=1683853

At this point if hole #6 turns out anything like hole # 5 (the amount of destruction) then I don't feel there would be anyway to get the 6 miners out of the mine if they happen to be under a lot of rubble. Sending down a human capsule chamber with just one person in it wouldn't be able to get past all that coal. I feel terrible all around :(

It's horrible but I have a feeling those poor men ARE under all that rubble. I'm beginning to think they should just seal it off and make a tomb, as horrid as that is for the families. This whole thing is just so incredibly sad and tragic and extra-terrible.

I guess in a way if it turns out "our" 6 miners are deceased it would be a comfort in knowing that they aren't alone. They went with some of their best buddies/brothers'

It's horrible but I have a feeling those poor men ARE under all that rubble. I'm beginning to think they should just seal it off and make a tomb, as horrid as that is for the families. This whole thing is just so incredibly sad and tragic and extra-terrible.

I agree. I think if it was me, my body, under there it would be just as well to let that be my grave. I feel for the families, yet it is safest not to try to recover the bodies and it is a tomb of sorts.

Sometimes, bodies aren't going to ever be recovered because it is just far too dangerous to attempt to recover them.

In this case they stated that the men would have to be recovered through the main tunnel.

Multiple times, they were driven back because of additional seismic events, which caused them to lose ground a few times in the first days of digging out the main tunnel. Then there was another seismic event, and three rescue workers were killed, and other miners were injured. The mountain is completely unstable. They are more than 1300 feet away from where the miners were last working, and indications are, the tunnel is filled up most of that way, from the initial event that trapped, or possibly killed, the miners.

When recovery of bodies presents a very great risk of the loss of additional life, reality needs to be faced up to. Without any sign of life, the risks are far too great to continue to attempt to recover the bodies of the dead miners.

I also agree the miners are probably under all that rubble. As sick as it makes me to say. I agree if the 6th hold is the same there would be no way to get them out.

I will always feel that Bob Murray was a complete azz for the way he treated the miners families. Somewhere along the way he got to big for his breeches & got a holier then thou attitude which was totally uncalled for.

I also agree the miners are probably under all that rubble. As sick as it makes me to say. I agree if the 6th hold is the same there would be no way to get them out.

I will always feel that Bob Murray was a complete azz for the way he treated the miners families. Somewhere along the way he got to big for his breeches & got a holier then thou attitude which was totally uncalled for.
Well, you will soon get to see him testify in front of a Congrssional Committee, along with Stickler, and Moore; it's ssupposed to happen as soon as Congress comes back from their month off.

Well, you will soon get to see him testify in front of a Congrssional Committee, along with Stickler, and Moore; it's ssupposed to happen as soon as Congress comes back from their month off.

The Senate is calling for an investigation. I heard all records have been seized for Sept 5th. I wonder if Murray will start yelling at them when they question him? Or leave the room, stomping out?

Stickler & Moore didn't approve of Murray's handling of the families. Moore sat shaking his head in disbelief.......Stickler stated he was very sorry. I think Moore & Stickler seem to be very nice guys.

I guess in a way if it turns out "our" 6 miners are deceased it would be a comfort in knowing that they aren't alone. They went with some of their best buddies/brothers'

Yes but it sure is heartbreaking!!!

I realized earlier this wasn't going to turn out well for anyone. There were zero signs of life from day one. As tragic as it has been for everyone involved, the families of the first six minors need to come to terms with their reality now. People can be angry at Murray, at Stickler(MSHA), and at life in general...as it is a normal part of grieving.

The rest will come out through investigations and will take months to resolve where to place blame. It seems there will be plenty to go around.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back