MO - Sophia Knutsen, 7 mos, dies in hot car, St Louis, 23 Aug 2007

Heartbreaking - especially the fact that one of her parents is a pediatrician. My prayers and sympathies to this family.

This is sad!! It seems tragedies like this are not from abusive parent. I can't imagine what they are feeling. If there was a change in their routine schedule I can kind of understand the confusion, but still, how do you not know your baby is with you? If that was the vehicle in the picture, it's very hard not to notice. It's possible for a sleeping baby to be overlooked in a SUV, and down here dark tinted windows do make it easy to overlook things in the car.

We have buzzards that go off when seat belts are not fastened. Why can't we have an alarm that goes off when car is shut off and seat belt is still attached and a child is in the seatbeat?

The very same thing happened in my area. The parents honestly got confused, the mom wasn't used to taking the baby to work and the baby was put in her car seat while she was asleep. It's a tragedy all the way around. The mother that lived here has tried to commit suicide several times.

God bless those involved in the tragedy in St. Louis.

This is one of the most tragic stories I have ever heard of! This Mother had dedicated her life to TAKING CARE of children, and her own child has to die this horrible, horrible death. I guess I can sort of see how this happened:

"Authorities say the man and woman work at the medical school campus at different times. She contacted her husband and asked him to meet her and park her car; he did so, but thought she had already dropped their child off at the on-campus daycare facility. She had not and thought he would take the child to daycare."
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...3?OpenDocument

I don't know how you would ever be able to just get on with your life after something like this.

ETA: I won't be surprised if they even end up getting divorced. Many parents of children who die from violence, or illness, end up divorced. So sad.

These stories make me angry, and I find it hard to not be really, really upset with the parents. I remember once hearing described the absolute horror these babies go through before dying. It was unbearable to imagine. I realize the parents will be in pain the rest of their lives (which is horrible), but I still feel so angry when I read these stories.

I can't comprehend a parent being so busy or distracted that they don't notice their baby is in the back seat of the car. Or being so continually distracted that, when they do leave it in the hot car, they don't think about the baby within a few minutes and realize where he/she is. This is just too difficult to understand.

Its a sad fact that peoples lives are too hectic nowadays...we are wanting more and more all the time and sometimes forgetting the important things.

What a horrible horrible mistake... I would not want to be in the parents shoes. I would probably try and commit suicide myself because I don't know how I would be able to wake up every morning knowing what I did. I'm glad to see though that all of you are realizing that it was a mistake. I noticed over on the ''police dog died in hot car'' thread that people want the Police officer fired and torched alive for leaving a dog in a car...Sorry but dogs will NEVER compare to children.

I think it is a horrible tragedy, but it was an accident.

I know when my kids were little, if they were asleep in the car, a couple of times I forgot to turn to go to their babysitters house. I would remember them when I was about half way to work and have to turn around. Thankfully though, I never did forget them in the car.

I would hate to be the parents, I can't imagine how hard it would be to go on after such a tragic mistake. My marriage wouldn't survive it, I'm sure.

Two small children left in hot cars

ST. LOUIS — Police say a woman whose seven-month-old daughter was found dead in the family's car is a doctor at St. Louis Children's Hospital. The father is a research analyst at the nearby medical school.

The baby was found inside the car, where the outside temperature was in the upper 90s. Police say it was a horrible mix-up where each parent thought the other had taken the baby to daycare. A passerby called authorities and smashed the window in an unsuccessful effort to rescue the infant.

~more at link~

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/national/article.aspx?storyid=61848

The very same thing happened in my area. The parents honestly got confused, the mom wasn't used to taking the baby to work and the baby was put in her car seat while she was asleep. It's a tragedy all the way around. The mother that lived here has tried to commit suicide several times.
God bless those involved in the tragedy in St. Louis.

wouldn't be any "trying" for me....i'd do it...i know i couldn't live w/myself; just that simple.....

This has been in the news so much lately that I think every person in America who transports children in any vehicle should sit down right now and make a checklist that they follow each and every time they transport a child/children. Every time. If there is any chance a child could be in the car, the back seat/s should be checked every time!

I think the tv and radio should be flooded with public service messages about this.

I agree Montana. Maybe some busy parentswould hear the announcements on their car radio and remember their child is in the car with them.

I was reading somewhere today that you should put your cell phone, wallet, or something else that you would miss quickly, in the car seat with the baby.

I think that is a pretty good idea. A lot of employers issue ID badges that employees use to enter their buildings. If you put that with the baby, you couldn't get into your office without it... so you'd have to go back to the car immediately.

I'm really glad that I don't have any babies anymore, I don't have to worry about doing this with my own.

this is why i am always telling my husband ... NEVER forget to drop off the baby. ever. when the routine changes (he teaches) and he has to go back to the college... I don't want him rushing off and forgetting to drop off the baby, the baby to be asleep in the back and the baby to be dead in the August heat. UGH! Poor parents.

I was reading somewhere today that you should put your cell phone, wallet, or something else that you would miss quickly, in the car seat with the baby.

I think that is a pretty good idea. A lot of employers issue ID badges that employees use to enter their buildings. If you put that with the baby, you couldn't get into your office without it... so you'd have to go back to the car immediately.

I'm really glad that I don't have any babies anymore, I don't have to worry about doing this with my own.

That is an AWESOME idea, I had never heard of that before!! I always take my son to and from daycare, but I will start doing just that to make sure that I won't ever ever forget my most precious gift from God!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrigokurita
Back