1185 users online (254 members and 931 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SC - Stewart Floyd, 41, disabled, shot to death at wife's wake, 22 Aug 2007

link

LAKE CITY, S.C. A family that had gathered to grieve the loss of a woman was again struck by tragedy when her drunken father stormed the home and shot her husband, authorities said Friday.
    Herman McKnight, 62, was charged with murder and was being held at the county jail Friday, a day after his daughter's funeral.
    Authorities said McKnight had been drinking on Wednesday before he went to his daughter's home, where family and friends consoled one another following visitation for Donna Floyd, 40, who had died earlier in the week after heart surgery.
    Her husband, Stewart Floyd, told McKnight he didn't want any drinking in the house that night. Angered, McKnight told the family he was going to his truck to get a shotgun and would kill everyone in the house, according to a police report.
    Stewart Floyd's mother, Jeanette Floyd, called police and tried to block the back door, but McKnight kicked it in and fired, authorities said.
    After fragments hit her left finger and elbow, she moved away from the door. Once inside, McKnight fired again, shooting his son-in-law, who fell out of his wheelchair. Family members then pulled McKnight outside and eventually wrangled the gun away, authorities said.

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

Tragedy for this family all around.
    Oh my goodness. My prayers are with these folks.
    Grief, alchohol and guns. Something tells me when this
    man realizes what he has done he will wish he had turned
    the gun on himself. SO sad.
    IMHO

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Drinking and guns don't mix. What a tragedy on top of loss.

It seems this family has had a long hard road with tragedy and possibly there was some bad blood between the Father and son in law.
    Clearly drinking had been an issue or the SIL would not have made the do drinking request.

a new defense?

We've all heard about the Twinkie Defense, the Sleepwalking Defense...TV, dungeons, dragons, and more.

Would this case qualify for a new one, Compounded Grief Defense?

McKnight's wife died Aug. 18, 2005. His mother died Aug. 11, 2006. His daughter died Aug. 20. (2007)

No 'excusing' the crime nor the effect alcohol had in bringing it about, but I do wonder how many understand the concept...and if a jury could relate to such a defense strategy?

McKnight's bail hearing on charges of murder, assault and battery with intent to kill, possession of a firearm during a violent crime and discharging a firearm into an occupied dwelling has not been set...

If this case goes to trial, I for one will be watching.

My sympathies to this entire family...how awful for all of them.
    Last edited by shana; 08-28-2007 at 01:22 AM. Reason: ugly typo, in BOLD yet, ha

I don't understand the concept...can you explain how compounded grief cause a person to start shooting in a crowd after a visitation? If attornies can do that, maybe it might work as a defense. Personally, I think this guy needs to be locked up so he will dry out.

defense strategy

Do you understand the Twinkie defense...or for that matter, any of the others I referenced?

I am not advocating...just something for you and others to think about.

Compounded Grief is not an excuse to forgive, on its face, but certainly could be offered as a defense.

Humans are fragile, for whatever their 'weaknesses' may be and as perceived by others who judge.

My sense on this case is that it *may* bring a new defense strategy into play, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by shana View Post
    Do you understand the Twinkie defense...or for that matter, any of the others I referenced?

Compounded Grief is not an excuse to forgive, on its face, but certainly could be offered as a defense.

Humans are fragile, for whatever their 'weaknesses' may be and as perceived by others who judge.

My sense on this case is that it *may* bring a new defense strategy into play, fwiw.
    They can certainly try it but I don't think it will work.

Yes, I understand the various defenses and realize you are not advocating it.

I don't think it will fly as a new defense but they can try.

Unless this man thought his son-in-law caused his daughter's death, he should probably use his alcoholism and resulting mental health issues as a defense, perhaps adding the recent bereavements as mitigating factors.

That's a pretty insightful thought. I can see itas a possibly effective defense. Either play it as "How much grief can one person take before they snap?" or that the grief episodes in so short a timespan are creating a state exponentially lager than their sum.

Crypto6

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
    I don't understand the concept...can you explain how compounded grief cause a person to start shooting in a crowd after a visitation? If attornies can do that, maybe it might work as a defense. Personally, I think this guy needs to be locked up so he will dry out.
    Please do not think that everyone should conform to what you have in your mind. Yes SewingDeb did read your posts and links. Just because someone does not understand or agree with you, do not insult them. I am insulted that you even questioned SewingDeb.

Just think about what you said. Do you know what the word "enable" means. You do not appear as someone who wants to help others. You want to attempt to find a legal way out for them.

dark_shadows

Thanks DS.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
    Thanks DS.
    To my very dearest SewingDeb,
    I will say that you hold a great Respect in my heart and fellow Websleuthers here hold you so very dear in their hearts. I felt a great Disrespect from shana to you on this thread. You are truly are fair person and you respond with reason. You take the time to review facts before you post and your heart responds. I always listen to and Respect your heart. You have helped me and others so much. I want you to know how much your heart means to us SewingDeb.

So much Love and Respect to you,
    dark_shadows

You have just made my day, DS. I respect your opinion so very much so this means a lot to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast