GUILTY SC - Stewart Floyd, 41, disabled, shot to death at wife's wake, 22 Aug 2007

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
link

LAKE CITY, S.C. — A family that had gathered to grieve the loss of a woman was again struck by tragedy when her drunken father stormed the home and shot her husband, authorities said Friday.
Herman McKnight, 62, was charged with murder and was being held at the county jail Friday, a day after his daughter's funeral.
Authorities said McKnight had been drinking on Wednesday before he went to his daughter's home, where family and friends consoled one another following visitation for Donna Floyd, 40, who had died earlier in the week after heart surgery.
Her husband, Stewart Floyd, told McKnight he didn't want any drinking in the house that night. Angered, McKnight told the family he was going to his truck to get a shotgun and would kill everyone in the house, according to a police report.
Stewart Floyd's mother, Jeanette Floyd, called police and tried to block the back door, but McKnight kicked it in and fired, authorities said.
After fragments hit her left finger and elbow, she moved away from the door. Once inside, McKnight fired again, shooting his son-in-law, who fell out of his wheelchair. Family members then pulled McKnight outside and eventually wrangled the gun away, authorities said.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Tragedy for this family all around.
Oh my goodness. My prayers are with these folks.
Grief, alchohol and guns. Something tells me when this
man realizes what he has done he will wish he had turned
the gun on himself. SO sad.

Drinking and guns don't mix. What a tragedy on top of loss.

It seems this family has had a long hard road with tragedy and possibly there was some bad blood between the Father and son in law.
Clearly drinking had been an issue or the SIL would not have made the do drinking request.

We've all heard about the Twinkie Defense, the Sleepwalking Defense...TV, dungeons, dragons, and more.

Would this case qualify for a new one, Compounded Grief Defense?

McKnight's wife died Aug. 18, 2005. His mother died Aug. 11, 2006. His daughter died Aug. 20. (2007)

No 'excusing' the crime nor the effect alcohol had in bringing it about, but I do wonder how many understand the concept...and if a jury could relate to such a defense strategy?

McKnight's bail hearing on charges of murder, assault and battery with intent to kill, possession of a firearm during a violent crime and discharging a firearm into an occupied dwelling has not been set...

If this case goes to trial, I for one will be watching.

My sympathies to this entire family...how awful for all of them.

I don't understand the concept...can you explain how compounded grief cause a person to start shooting in a crowd after a visitation? If attornies can do that, maybe it might work as a defense. Personally, I think this guy needs to be locked up so he will dry out.

Do you understand the Twinkie defense...or for that matter, any of the others I referenced?

I am not advocating...just something for you and others to think about.

Compounded Grief is not an excuse to forgive, on its face, but certainly could be offered as a defense.

Humans are fragile, for whatever their 'weaknesses' may be and as perceived by others who judge.

My sense on this case is that it *may* bring a new defense strategy into play, fwiw.

Do you understand the Twinkie defense...or for that matter, any of the others I referenced?

Compounded Grief is not an excuse to forgive, on its face, but certainly could be offered as a defense.

Humans are fragile, for whatever their 'weaknesses' may be and as perceived by others who judge.

My sense on this case is that it *may* bring a new defense strategy into play, fwiw.
They can certainly try it but I don't think it will work.

Yes, I understand the various defenses and realize you are not advocating it.

I don't think it will fly as a new defense but they can try.

Unless this man thought his son-in-law caused his daughter's death, he should probably use his alcoholism and resulting mental health issues as a defense, perhaps adding the recent bereavements as mitigating factors.

That's a pretty insightful thought. I can see itas a possibly effective defense. Either play it as "How much grief can one person take before they snap?" or that the grief episodes in so short a timespan are creating a state exponentially lager than their sum.

Crypto6

I don't understand the concept...can you explain how compounded grief cause a person to start shooting in a crowd after a visitation? If attornies can do that, maybe it might work as a defense. Personally, I think this guy needs to be locked up so he will dry out.

Please do not think that everyone should conform to what you have in your mind. Yes SewingDeb did read your posts and links. Just because someone does not understand or agree with you, do not insult them. I am insulted that you even questioned SewingDeb.

Just think about what you said. Do you know what the word "enable" means. You do not appear as someone who wants to help others. You want to attempt to find a legal way out for them.

dark_shadows

Thanks DS.
To my very dearest SewingDeb,:blowkiss:
I will say that you hold a great Respect in my heart and fellow Websleuthers here hold you so very dear in their hearts. I felt a great Disrespect from shana to you on this thread. You are truly are fair person and you respond with reason. You take the time to review facts before you post and your heart responds. I always listen to and Respect your heart. You have helped me and others so much. I want you to know how much your heart means to us SewingDeb.

So much Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

:blushing: You have just made my day, DS. I respect your opinion so very much so this means a lot to me.

Please do not think that everyone should conform to what you have in your mind. Yes SewingDeb did read your posts and links. Just because someone does not understand or agree with you, do not insult them. I am insulted that you even questioned SewingDeb.

Just think about what you said. Do you know what the word "enable" means. You do not appear as someone who wants to help others. You want to attempt to find a legal way out for them.

dark_shadows

I took that as Shana thinking out loud what an effective defense might be, not that she was advocating that defense as a proper moral position. Since defenses using such mitigating factors have worked in the past, the temptation may be to use a supercharged version this time with not one, but three mitigating factors intermixing with each other in a short time, like a legal version of an infomercial’s “But wait, there’s more!”

Like you, I don’t have any use for these “mitigating” defenses since large numbers have these factors in their lives and rise above them without blowing holes in others. However they seem to work and we need to discuss why so we can better understand the phenomenon.

FWIW.

Crypto6

Thank you, crypto6, you got it! :-D

Funny how this thread turned into a judge shana kind of thing.

I don't buy the Twinkie defense either, but I do recognize when some posts contain too much sugar and not enough substance.

DS, you don't know me and you couldn't be further from the truth with your assessment of me.

Sorry I even suggested this subject...sheesh...is this a discussion forum for the free exchange of ideas or a fan club for a select few?

I must really be out of the loop but what is a "twinkie" defense?

I must really be out of the loop but what is a "twinkie" defense?

It's the defense used by the killer of a gay councilman and Mayor George Moscone (San Francisco) a number of years ago. The killer (can't remember his name) used that he ate lots of carbs and that caused him to go beserk and kill 2 people. It's since been called the "twinkie defense."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back