858 users online (142 members and 716 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,954

    Hot Air Balloon Catches On Fire & Crashes

    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2...nt_6056398.htm

    A hot air balloon's basket bursts into flames shortly after takeoff when it was about 25 feet off the ground in Surrey British Colombia Canada Friday evening Aug. 24, 2007. [AP]

    The cause of the accident wasn't known. Weather conditions were clear at the time of the sunset flight. At least three 30-foot RVs caught fire, said Don Randall, a witness who lives in the RV park. No one was reported hurt in those blazes.

    Witnesses said passengers screamed and jumped to the ground as the balloon's basket caught fire. The balloon reportedly took off from a grassy field with 12 passengers.

    "The thing went up about 400 feet in the air at which point it melted enough of the balloon - it collapsed," said Randall, who saw the balloon as it was on its way up and took pictures of the fiery scene. "The basket was basically a fireball, it just dropped like a stone."

    "I'm just thinking, 'Oh geez, I hope there's nobody in that thing. It's basically a burning death up there,'" he said.

    People who had been riding in the balloon suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries and were taken to hospitals in the nearby Vancouver area, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt. Roger Morrow said in a statement.

    Fifteen ambulances, two air ambulances and eight fire trucks raced to the scene at the Hazelmere park, he said. Smoke could be seen billowing from the crash site from miles away, CTV said.

    Randall said at least two vehicles were damaged along with the RVs. He said he ran to his RV and grabbed a small fire extinguisher, but it proved of little use.

    The hot-air balloon, which CTV reported was operated by Fantasy Balloons Charters based in Langley, British Columbia, was one of several balloons in flight at the time.

    The fireball dropped onto 3 RVs which were also destroyed. I heard on the news last nite that those people narrowly escaped. I've always wanted to go up in one of these things....not anymore.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,309
    That's a shame Jilly, because it really is a nice experience. Accidents like these are very very rare. It dropped on RV's... now are you not going to stay in RV's anymore either? Or drive your car, which is much more dangerous? I'm just sayin'... not judging you! Just trying to offer a little perspective.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetElaine View Post
    That's a shame Jilly, because it really is a nice experience. Accidents like these are very very rare. It dropped on RV's... now are you not going to stay in RV's anymore either? Or drive your car, which is much more dangerous? I'm just sayin'... not judging you! Just trying to offer a little perspective.
    Chilling, I just saw it on TV. I don't know if I would go up in one now. I have a fear of heights in open spaces. Not in a skyscraper or plane, but definitely where I can fall.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,954
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetElaine View Post
    That's a shame Jilly, because it really is a nice experience. Accidents like these are very very rare. It dropped on RV's... now are you not going to stay in RV's anymore either? Or drive your car, which is much more dangerous? I'm just sayin'... not judging you! Just trying to offer a little perspective.
    No I'm not that paranoid! I know what you're saying - I've never heard of this before. It'll be interesting to find out what happened. I've since learned that it was not an RV park that the fireball came down on- it was a trailer park and now 3 families are homeless. Two people died (in the balloon, I think).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,309
    Yeah I just read that too, a mother and a daughter. I came back to say I can understand if you (anyone) wouldn't like going right now, I mean yes it was horrible to watch and it's scary as anything. I kind of skipped that part, should have said that before I went on with the other stuff.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,954
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnGoddess View Post
    Chilling, I just saw it on TV. I don't know if I would go up in one now. I have a fear of heights in open spaces. Not in a skyscraper or plane, but definitely where I can fall.
    It is very chilling! It never occured to me that they could blow up.

    I just heard on the news that it was a 50th birthday party celebration.

    ETA - It appears it was an RVPark but it was 3 mobile homes that were destroyed.

    http://www.news1130.com/news/topstor...25_002847_7012

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,954
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetElaine View Post
    Yeah I just read that too, a mother and a daughter. I came back to say I can understand if you (anyone) wouldn't like going right now, I mean yes it was horrible to watch and it's scary as anything. I kind of skipped that part, should have said that before I went on with the other stuff.
    That's ok. When things like this happen I always believe that things will change for the better as a result.Thanks for that info about the mother and daughter. How horrible!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,374
    There was another tragedy in British Columbia also yesterday---A 71 year old man lost control of his car and slammed into a wedding party walking along the road--Six people were killed and Nineteen injured--This happened near Vancouver

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hamilton View Post
    There was another tragedy in British Columbia also yesterday---A 71 year old man lost control of his car and slammed into a wedding party walking along the road--Six people were killed and Nineteen injured--This happened near Vancouver
    I know Peter! I was going to mention this too. These two incidents are very near me as I am in Vancouver.

    This group of people were IndoCanadians and it was a pre wedding ceremony. It was part of their tradition to walk along this road. A vehicle was supposed to follow them with flashing lights on because they do it in the dark. Just before this vehicle got into position a truck came along, lost control and hit them all. Some of the victims were pinned under the truck when it rolled into the ditch.

    http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/st...a2f009&k=83361

    As well as all the ambulances, 7 hospitals were involved with the care.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,374
    Jilly, there was yet another tragedy in Vancouver last week when 14 people were shot in a restaraunt and 2 were killed--Think it happened at an Oriental eatery at 4:30 in the morning--do you have any more info on this? was this a gang thing?---Anyway, despite these happenngs,Vancouver is a beautiful city and so is all of British Columbia--what's the weather like in the wintertime? Is it more moderate since you're near the coast? Our dream is to one day visit Vancouver, Whistler and the farther east cities of Banff Calgary and Jasper in the other provinces--Have the Northern Lights ever been visible from Vancouver? I see that the average house price there is $850,000--Beauty does come with a price, of course


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Other End
    Posts
    25,761
    This is just sooo sad To watch this unfold before your very eyes is so heartbreaking. Prayers for all involved.


    This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hamilton View Post
    Jilly, there was yet another tragedy in Vancouver last week when 14 people were shot in a restaraunt and 2 were killed--Think it happened at an Oriental eatery at 4:30 in the morning--do you have any more info on this? was this a gang thing?---Anyway, despite these happenngs,Vancouver is a beautiful city and so is all of British Columbia--what's the weather like in the wintertime? Is it more moderate since you're near the coast? Our dream is to one day visit Vancouver, Whistler and the farther east cities of Banff Calgary and Jasper in the other provinces--Have the Northern Lights ever been visible from Vancouver? I see that the average house price there is $850,000--Beauty does come with a price, of course
    Yes that was definitely gang related. Here's a link:

    http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...e-2aa89393e2a6

    As far as the Northern lights, they've been see from some suburbs but it's rare to see them in Vancouver. I believe you have to be away from other lights, so if you go up our local mountains, and on a clear night you can see them. Best to go further north to the small communities. I saw them many years ago, 500 miles up the coast in a place called Prince Rupert.

    Our weather is more moderate. We do get snow but it doesn't usually last. We had a horrible winter last year - lots of storms with hurricane force winds - A good portion of our beloved Stanley Park was wiped out, trees down everywhere. They're still trying to fix it and it'll cost millions. We had tons of of rain and even good couple of good snow falls. The worst part was that the snow was so wet one of my neighbor's trees collapsed in my yard.

    We were all desperate for summer to come and unfortunately it's been one of our worst. Lots of rain again. I think we only had one sunny weekend the whole summer. We've only had about 5 days of very hot weather. At present you can feel fall in the air and some of the leaves are starting to fall. Ugh.

    You can take the train from Vancouver and go up to Jasper. Many tourists do that. It's a beautiful trip. I've done it. They have a dome car you can sit in and get the full view. Of course you can drive too. Banff & Lake Louise are also breath taking. I ran into Neil Sedaka at Lake Louise.

    Whistler is beautiful of course but extremely expensive. There's only one road in and that highway is deadly. They're working on it for the 2010 Olympics. You can take the train there too which is a neat trip.

    Yes...housing is very expensive. Lots of condos going up in the City as well and they aren't cheap either.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,954
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperDoll View Post
    This is just sooo sad To watch this unfold before your very eyes is so heartbreaking. Prayers for all involved.
    Hi PD! Yes it is horrible. Many family members were on the ground watching as the balloon took off. Some got off before the balloon got too high. They interviewed a woman in the hospital yesterday. She climbed over the basket and at the last minute grabbed another woman and took her with her. That was at 5 storys!! She broke every bone in her feet and both heels.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    703
    It's too bad that the mother & daughter didn't jump out. Apparently others did, and they escaped with minor injuries.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,954
    Quote Originally Posted by eleven View Post
    It's too bad that the mother & daughter didn't jump out. Apparently others did, and they escaped with minor injuries.
    Here's an article which does say it was a mother and daughter who perished. Hard to say why they didn't jump.

    http://www.canada.com/globaltv/natio...d-8b6ac0438cc0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-10-2015, 05:57 PM
  2. Man catches fire in private booth at porn shop
    By peeples in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 10:18 PM
  3. Woman's face catches on fire during surgery
    By Reader in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-04-2011, 10:26 PM
  4. Huge NASA Science Balloon Crashes in Australian Outback
    By Dark Knight in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 08:18 AM
  5. Man catches fire during surgery!
    By golfmom in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 02:47 AM