Vermont; UVM offers gender-neutral rest rooms

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
link

The University of Vermont's big new student center doesn't have just women's bathrooms and men's bathrooms.

It also has gender-neutral bathrooms, a feature added to accommodate transgendered people, as well as those with disabilities. The four single bathrooms in the new Dudley H. Davis Center -- each with a toilet, sink, shower and lockable door -- cost about $2,500 apiece to build. Their wall signs identify each as "gender neutral restroom."

"It's about inclusivity and accessibility and the importance of meeting all people's needs, not just a few," said Annie Stevens, assistant vice president for student and campus life.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Actually, I met a hermaphrodite who had this exact problem while working as a server in a restaurant. They fired him/her because a customer complained about him/her using the women's restroom and the restaurant said they could not afford to build one just for the server. I was horrified at such treatment and encouraged the server to seek legal counsel.

I feel this is exactly what should have been done...a unisex bathroom. If we ask to be treated equally on all other levels...why not there to? I don't have any problem with it myself except most men don't bother "picking up" after themselves or putting the seat down. LOL

After reading that article again...I guess the restrooms are totally private while using them. We use these all the time in hospitals, homes, etc. So what is the big deal?

Also helps families out: moms taking their young sons to the restroom or both sons and daughters.... that's a pain usually... (or dads taking their daughters or both, of course).

I agree, JanetElaine. I am a single mother with an 11 year old son who refuses to use the women's restroom. But it scares me half to death to send him into the men's room by himself. This would solve the problem, not to mention individual rooms behind a lockable door.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back