FL - Allana Norton, 2, dies in hot car, Alva, 25 Aug 2007

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
It may have been the tragic by-product of a game of hide-and-seek that led to the death of a 2 1/2-year-old girl in Alva on Saturday.

Lee County sheriff’s detectives said Sunday that there was no evidence of criminal conduct in the death of the toddler, who climbed into a 1991 Honda and may have tried to hide there.

“She may have been continuing to play hide-and-go-seek and climbed into the car. It was just a very hot day. The family is devastated,” said sheriff’s spokesman John Sheehan.

With the National Weather Service reporting the temperature at 93 degrees when the little girl was found, officials estimate the temperature in the car could have been a sweltering 125. Under those conditions the child could have rapidly dehydrated and slumped into unconsciousness, according to investigators.

More: http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070826/NEWS0123/70826015

I was going to ask why she wasn't being watched, but it really does sound like a tragic accident.

With all the gadgets you can get on a car now, how about one that runs off a second battery that runs some kind of ventilation fan - just so accidents don't happen.

How about locking your car doors.

And teaching and preaching to the kids about not playing in the car?

Of course, but I was thinking it would also help out the kids who are forgotten in the cars, the dogs that are... etc. Keep the cars from getting so hot and you can save alot of lives.

Some people need to be idiotproofed to raise their kids.

With all the gadgets you can get on a car now, how about one that runs off a second battery that runs some kind of ventilation fan - just so accidents don't happen.
i'm not sure how much it would help. even with the window rolled down a little a car can reach over 125 degrees.it seems it would need to vent alot of air to help.

i'm not sure how much it would help. even with the window rolled down a little a car can reach over 125 degrees.it seems it would need to vent alot of air to help.

I was thinking like the fans they have in the K9 Units - I don't know because I am not an inventor, but I think there has to be something available to keep cars under 90 or so.

In my experience, teaching and preaching doesn't work very well with 2 and 1/2 year olds. Keeping tha car doors locked is really the best solution.

Well, my mom used the "busting our asses" method and that seemed to work very well. Contrary to popular belief (it seems) it is still possible in this day and age to put down rules and teach kids to abide by them. That being said, accidents such as this can still happen and it's extremely sad. I also agree that keeping the car doors locked is the best solution.

Well, my mom used the "busting our asses" method and that seemed to work very well. Contrary to popular belief (it seems) it is still possible in this day and age to put down rules and teach kids to abide by them. That being said, accidents such as this can still happen and it's extremely sad. I also agree that keeping the car doors locked is the best solution.

It's a great idea. I wish it were a solution though - fallible humans do forget, and we can't trust our neighbors to keep their car doors locked. My mom never busted my butt, but she did put down rules and we listened. I try to, but I can't always seem to think up a rule BEFORE she does something. :) I do try!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back