Cuban child at center of custody battle

I understand the father wanting his daughter back, but i think I have to go with the foster family....with unlimited visitation with the father.
The little girl is 4, this has been going on for almost 3 years, the foster family is the family she basically knows as her own. I think it would be disruptive for them to bounce her to yet another home even if it is her natural father.
the brother and sister should stay together as they are familiar with each other and i think would be traumatizing to both to lose one another.

What a nightmare.

This is NOT a child that was given up for adoption by the parents. She DOES have a father, who consented in letting her move to the US with her mother. Very generous of this man. That does NOT mean he signed all rights to his child away, and if he did it is not mentioned in the news article. Just because it says 'regain custody' does NOT mean the newspaper has it correct.

If the mother cannot take care of this little girl she should immediately be returned to her father, no matter how long she has lived with the foster family (since December 2005 which is not even two years).
Foster families are for temporary shelter for children who have nowhere else to go at a given time. She has a father to go to and should have been with him already. This child is being held hostage.

In order for the mom to be able to move to the US with her daughter, the father HAD to sign a consent form or the child wouldn't even have been allowed to move by the USCIS. That does not automatically mean he gave up custody. Also, unlimited visitation from Cuba to the US is not a very easily done deal, is it. She needs to be returned to him ASAP.

*sigh* These cases are so sad. One on hand, it would be horrible for the girl to be separate from a brother that she has lived with for so long, the foster family has been with this child and loved and cared for her when the mother became/showed instability.

On the other hand, this is her father, her flesh and blood. What is he like? Is he stable? Has anyone looked into his life to double check that things would be ok?

I think that no matter who gets custody, the lines of communication should be open and the other (weather it be the foster parents or the father) should have as much visitation as wanted.

I also wonder if she (the mother) had showed this side of herself before and the father let the child go with her to America anyway. It would be interesting to hear more about the case.

What I wondered about was why she let them adopt the boy but not the girl. Maybe the boy's father did give up custody and the girl's didn't? A lot more info would clarify those things, although it likely wouldn't sway my opinion.

The daughter and the son are by different dad's. Personally, Dad should not have let Mom leave Cuba with the child. When you allow a parent to move with a child you always risk losing your relationship with that child. Since Mom is unfit, the child should go back to Dad.

The father signing an agreement to permit his daughter to leave to America pretty much indicates that he had no expectation to see her growing up.

To take this child who is now thoroughly Americanized and send her back to some village in Cuba is cruel.
Cubans in this country are exiles.

if he wanted her in his life he would not have let her go....im sure he did thinking she would have a better life which it sounds as if she does, so why is he trying to change this now? will he get extra money for the girl if he has custody?

if he wanted her in his life he would not have let her go....im sure he did thinking she would have a better life which it sounds as if she does, so why is he trying to change this now? will he get extra money for the girl if he has custody?

I think he's changed his mind because the kids mom is trying to kill herself. Not very good for a kid to be chained down to a parent who has seemingly lost her mind.

Maybe he didn't want her. The article says he lives with his wife and 7 year old daughter that makes his other daughter older. Was he married when he fathered this child? Maybe his wife didn't want her. I think he should be given custody he is the biological father, it shouldn't have taken 3 years to resolve. I do worry about how his wife will treat the child though especially if she was concieved through an affair.

There are lots of single parents who move from many different countries to the US every year. The parent 'left behind' had to give permission for this in all of those cases. That does NOT automatically mean they don't want these kids in their life.
Most of them have made this hard choice because they knew it would be best for the child(ren) for whichever reason. A true selfless act and many more parents should be making choices which may not necessarily be best for the parent, but is for the child(ren).

This man probably thought he did his daughter a favor. Instead the child ends up with strangers because mom turns out to be a basketcase. Any good man would change his mind after that. It shouldn't have taken this long for him to get his daughter back. Meanwhile the strangers aren't strangers anymore, but that does not mean they can just keep this 'lost puppy'.

It also amazes me that people who will usually defend the parent's rights to their children, now say that because the US is 'better than Cuba' the child should remain here. No offense to the USA, but NO country is better than daddy, especially not a daddy who's fighting for his child. :hand:

Apparently the other little Cuban boy that was in the middle of a huge custody battle (Cant remember his name) his family has received many nice perks from all that happened...a nice house, castro would attend birthday parties, a monthly income...basically they will never have to worry about money again. this was on one of the talk shows last night, Nancy Grace I believe.
So is the father truly interested in raising his daughter or is he after the perks?

Apparently the other little Cuban boy that was in the middle of a huge custody battle (Cant remember his name) his family has received many nice perks from all that happened...a nice house, castro would attend birthday parties, a monthly income...basically they will never have to worry about money again. this was on one of the talk shows last night, Nancy Grace I believe.
So is the father truly interested in raising his daughter or is he after the perks?

Well he allowed him to leave in the first place, so until we hear otherwise, I'm going to assume that like most of us parents, he wants the best for his children. Perks, huh????? I wouldn't mind some perks myself.:innocent:

The daughter and the son are by different dad's. Personally, Dad should not have let Mom leave Cuba with the child. When you allow a parent to move with a child you always risk losing your relationship with that child. Since Mom is unfit, the child should go back to Dad.

I know, but they are still both her children. Why would she allow one to be adopted and not the other?

Or.... maybe she couldn't, because the father of the girl didn't give up custody? Very plausible IMO, being as he's now actually having to go to court to bring his daughter home.

Really, if I am not seeing it, what other reason(s) could there be for her to have allowed adoption of the boy only (when both the children were already living with this couple)?

Well he allowed him to leave in the first place, so until we hear otherwise, I'm going to assume that like most of us parents, he wants the best for his children. Perks, huh????? I wouldn't mind some perks myself.:innocent:

Jeana you want visits from Castro?? LOLOL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back