Potty Training from Birth

angelmom

The love stays...forever in our hearts
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Anyone?

http://www.comcast.net/news/nationa...2007/08/27/748984.html&cvqh=itn_pottytraining

SUTTON, Mass. - Thirteen-month-old Dominic Klatt stopped banging the furniture in the verandah, looked at his mother and clasped his right hand around his left wrist to signal that he needed to go to the bathroom.

His mother took the diaper-less tot to a tree in the yard, held him in a squatting position and made a gentle hissing sound _ prompting the infant to relieve himself on cue before he rushed back to play.

Dominic is a product of a growing "diaper-free" movement founded on the belief that babies are born with an instinctive ability to signal when they have to answer nature's call. Parents who practice the so-called "elimination communication" learn to read their children's body language to help them recognize the need, and they mimic the sounds that a child associates with the bathroom.

Erinn Klatt began toilet training her son at birth and said he has not wet his bed at night since he was six months old.

More at link...

sounds like for atleast the first year and a half the parent is trained to catch it instead of the child being trained on when to go. and what is with the peeing in the sink and on trees. if that is potty trained then my son was potty trained at 1 year when he liked to take his diaper off and pee on the dog...

That's cool if it truly works!

I hope these parents are told not to beat or otherwise injure or kill the baby if they do not potty train well.

I would rather use a diaper than have the inevitable accidents that are bound to occur. Better to change a diaper than to have to clean up mom, dad, or whoever else. No wonder it is difficult to find a day care to watch the baby. Most people would rather not deal with that. Diapers nowadays are designed to wick wetness away from the baby. I think it is mom who is trained.

sounds like for atleast the first year and a half the parent is trained to catch it instead of the child being trained on when to go. and what is with the peeing in the sink and on trees. if that is potty trained then my son was potty trained at 1 year when he liked to take his diaper off and pee on the dog...

Easily my best laugh of the day. Thanks!

Your poor dog! :rolleyes:

A tree? They've got to run outside at 3 a.m. looking for a tree? :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: It seems to me that it would be more difficult trying to explain to a three year old why its not appropriate to piss on a tree than it is trying to toilet train a toddler.:p

I have known people who use this method, its hit and miss with them. I'll take my chances with diapers and keep my carpet the lovely cocoa vanilla I picked out and not urine yellow, thank you very much :)

It seems to me that it would be more difficult trying to explain to a three year old why its not appropriate to piss on a tree than it is trying to toilet train a toddler.:p

Agreed!! If they don't learn differently, this generation will kill all our trees!!

Well it seems to me that a whole new generation of psychiatrists will have a client base :)

Oh I bet my neighbors would just love me it I did this with Ty!

No thanks I'll stick with doing it the old fashioned way! Diapers then a really good bribe. (I know that you're not supposed to bribe them but it was the only thing that worked with my oldest. Promised him a big boy bike but not until he went potty. He has not soiled himself since I made the promise)

Lots of places in the world there are no diapers at all - ever. The kids run around pants-less until they are toddlers, at which point, yes, they are "potty trained" - much earlier age than here. They get bottoms put on them all the time once they can "hold it" and tell a parent or sibling they have to "go". It isn't "new" - in fact, very "old". I can see why many parents here couldn't do it - not many stay at home Moms, but it's very benign and very natural and totally non-pressured, non-punishing way to potty train. It's never even really "talked about" to the kids - they just learn naturally, with parent's help. If they have never been in diapers there is not need to "train them" to go on a potty instead. Diapers are just easier - but they are allowing kids to not have control longer too.

My Opinion

Yeah, it is more of the parent knowing when to catch the child than the child actually taking care of duty him or herself. It's just the parent being alert of enough to notice the child's clues. It's parent training, not child potty training! LOL

Hmmm...this is quite interesting actually. I know babies can learn and understand sign language to a certain extent...so I can see them being able to learn the sign to go...but even tho it might help to make it a bit earlier on the potty training issue, babies need to have the mental capacity to put those actions and thoughts together...it has to be the mother being trained. I would HATE to smell their homes or do their tons of laundry!! (I had plenty of laundry even with diapers!)

Not one of my kids had a real issue with potty training. The boys loved to create "bubbles" and the girls hated being wet. (Yes, the boys loved to pee on trees every chance they got tho! It is a MALE thing and I bet they all still do! LMAO)

Still thinking of the dog getting peed on :)

I remember watching something on this a couple of years ago. The poor mom looked BEAT. She was basically watching for the signal that her baby had to pee. She looked like she hadn't slept in weeks.

sherri you made my whole family laugh!!!!!

Yeah, it is more of the parent knowing when to catch the child than the child actually taking care of duty him or herself. It's just the parent being alert of enough to notice the child's clues. It's parent training, not child potty training! LOL

Well little boys are a lot easier to "catch" than little girls!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I think toddlers have to have a certain amount of physical development to be truly potty trained. Some train earlier than others.

Babies have no control yet, but if mothers want to hover and catch everything; it's no fleas off me.

I had a niece I kept for a week and she was 4 or 5 and still wetting (quietly), and not telling anyone. It was obvious to me that something had "messed her up", though I didn't say much to the parents they were obviously worried about it.

I would much rather not "push" it, and have a child potty train as casually as possible, so he/she doesn't feel bad about the accidents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back