Children's watering cans recalled due to lead paint

Poor kids can't have any toys anymore... Does someone not ever check these things out...................................:slap:

I get scared each time I see one of these recall threads.

So far we haven't had anything that's been recalled, but my take is if some of these "Made in China" toys have been compromised then they all have.

I would love to stop buying anything MIC, but how do you do that? I'm being serious. I've been paying closer attention to things in stores and invaribly everything I pick up is made in China.

As a mother and an American consumer, I honestly don't know what to do.

They recall things for everything these days it seems. What the heck can lead containing paint on a watering can do? Unless I misunderstand what a watering can is, this isn't really something any child would put in their mouth.

I just threw out the box envelope we received to return my daughter's easy bake oven in. Let's just keep all the scary toys away from the kids because they can't use them as they're supposed to until they're 16 and then buy them a car.

My apologies for being so harsh/impolite/whatever you want to call it, but I'm getting annoyed with all the recalls and the padding kids receive around them these days. Geez, where's the days that 'bubble boy' was still unique?

They recall things for everything these days it seems. What the heck can lead containing paint on a watering can do? Unless I misunderstand what a watering can is, this isn't really something any child would put in their mouth.

I just threw out the box envelope we received to return my daughter's easy bake oven in. Let's just keep all the scary toys away from the kids because they can't use them as they're supposed to until they're 16 and then buy them a car.

My apologies for being so harsh/impolite/whatever you want to call it, but I'm getting annoyed with all the recalls and the padding kids receive around them these days. Geez, where's the days that 'bubble boy' was still unique?

I could see a kid trying to drink from one.

Oh quit being sensible DK.... LOL :D

Yeah that's true. I dunno though. It's like one thing after another, just gets on my nerves. Probably because there are a lot of 'wolf' recalls in there, too. Well I consider them wolf, like the easy bake oven one.

Oh quit being sensible DK.... LOL :D

Yeah that's true. I dunno though. It's like one thing after another, just gets on my nerves. Probably because there are a lot of 'wolf' recalls in there, too. Well I consider them wolf, like the easy bake oven one.
If it had been my little girl with the amputated part of a finger due to an Easy-bake oven...I bet I wouldn't consider it a "wolf" recall!

Incidents/Injuries: Since the repair program announced in February, Easy-Bake has received 249 reports of children getting their hands or fingers caught in the oven's opening, including 77 reports of burns, 16 of which were reported as second and third-degree burns. Easy-Bake also received one report of a serious burn that required a partial finger amputation to a 5-year-old girl.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07245.html

Some kids would use the water can as a "teapot"! I have to watch my grands carefully when using the large one while watering our flowers as it is...the autistic one loves to try to tip it up and drink it.

I am tired of the recalls, too...but keep them coming if it is keeping our children safer! I have a feeling this Xmas...videos are going to be HUGE!

If it had been my little girl with the amputated part of a finger due to an Easy-bake oven...I bet I wouldn't consider it a "wolf" recall!

Incidents/Injuries: Since the repair program announced in February, Easy-Bake has received 249 reports of children getting their hands or fingers caught in the oven's opening, including 77 reports of burns, 16 of which were reported as second and third-degree burns. Easy-Bake also received one report of a serious burn that required a partial finger amputation to a 5-year-old girl.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07245.html

Some kids would use the water can as a "teapot"! I have to watch my grands carefully when using the large one while watering our flowers as it is...the autistic one loves to try to tip it up and drink it.

I am tired of the recalls, too...but keep them coming if it is keeping our children safer! I have a feeling this Xmas...videos are going to be HUGE!

I hear you, SS, BUT in the case of the Easy Bake oven, a 5-year-old shouldn't be playing with a toy for 8+ year olds.

I agree the kid should not have been playing with it, but we have to assume every parent is an idiot and children can be harmed. The accident could have conceivably happened to an older child, too.

I was actually going to say the same thing as Serious said. Since kids do just about everything with a toy that they possibly can, any possible danger from the product found should be recalled.

Or those creepy crawler ovens. I got my kid one last year and the safety release on the oven door broke. Even with the low watt bulb, those things get hot! He thought it was neat, but lost interest with it quickly. If it isn't a video game, it doesn't get played with for long...

Hmmm...I want one of those! (Creepy crawler ovens) hehehe Uhm, yeah...for my grands when they are older...yeah..that is it! On second thought, they are dangerous and I should just keep it for me. LOL

That's it... I'm gonna have to make all of my kids toys. Especially since I have one that likes to chew on his toys and a 6 month old since he is still exploring with his mouth.

When we went to the pediatrician the other day he tested my kids for traces of lead. Is that a new thing because of all the recalls?

Since kids do just about everything with a toy that they possibly can, any possible danger from the product found should be recalled.

Well if you don't supervise your kids of course they will do whatever they possibly can. That's my entire problem with certain recalls. The TOYS are not the danger, but the danger lies in the fact that children are left on their own while the parents do... well, what?

Same as with 'oh that's a dangerous road'. Erm, no. The people that drive on it not adapting to road circumstances is what makes it unsafe.

SS said we have to assume that every parent is an idiot. And that is so true. But that does not mean I agree with the idiotic behavior of parents. Now we are trying to solve this by recalling hundreds of toys. I say, fix it by teaching parents to take their responsibilities.

I'm not saying to just take the risk that your child might get hurt from a toy. Actually I am saying the complete opposite. My daughter plays with her easy bake oven and is supervised. She's in 4th grade and is supervised for lots of other activities too.

I'm not going to depend on others to pad the entire world so my child can be safe. I'm going to watch her and make sure of it myself.

That's my point. :)

I agree that parents should supervise their children properly and toys should be used age appropriate as intended.

I had toys as a child that by today's standards would certainly be pulled from the market! I believe my children probably had toys that could have harmed them in some way, too. Adult supervision is always key in protecting our kids in any circumstance.

That being said...it was Mattel that dropped the ball as far as the lead is concerned. When they outsource their product, they are solely responsible to control the standards before allowing the sales in our country. I believe this whole scenario started, as I recall a few months ago, when a grandmother decided to test the bibs in her house then moved onto toys. (I could be mistaken, but I saw the piece on it.)

2Sisters~ I think your doc is very wise to test your children. It should become a regular test for children in light of the massive recall.

It makes me wonder about the children with autism and the obvious implications. Could our children have been affected by lead and passed it onto their children from toys we allowed them to play with and chew on unknowingly? I am sure this will be looked at very closely.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back